Obama: Wants to avoid 'militarized' police culture

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 2, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

50 K cameras is NOT ENOUGH. EVERY single cop out there on the beat needs to have one. hope this gets implemented.

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-hold-white-house-meetings-ferguson-085841383--politics.html

2. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Go Pro's are cheap, just buy a bunch of those.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's not just the cost of the camera but storing and archiving video footage and all the associated costs with that.

That said, every cop should be wearing one.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

GoPros are just pissing money away uselessly. They are trash.

Those don't run all day.
    Those would require the cop to activate before shooting someone. (selective) Can you not see the problem if the cops get to pick and choose which encounters they film?
    What about if the cops, or the police departments that get to pick and choose which video recordings 'had an software glitch' and the video was lost.

They need specially designed hardware.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Archiving 24/7 I assume HD on lets say 30 active beat cops is going to suck a lot of bandwidth and storage space. Lets say we give this setup to every department in the country. Who stores this data and for how long and what do they save. Unless the government sets up central servers I don't see how this is easily implemented.

7. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

If they follow the Canadian model, camera is turned on by the officer only when having an interaction with a civilian.

----------

I guess then the officer would lose credibility.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Which is why it costs closer to $1500/cop vs a $250 gopro.

9. citizenzen Suspended

780,000 police officers in the U.S.

I'd settle for baby steps.

----------

780,000 x $1,500 = One billion one-hundred seventy million dollars

10. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think that the time that as gone, the police of the US are a Para Military force already.

Seen from this side of the water, I'm constantly amazed at how the police in the US has changed over the years.

I lived in the US between 1981-1983 in White Plains NY. Even back then NYC was a cess pool but the police still looked like police. I've since been ten times back on various vacations, and everytime the police look more like para-militaryforce. Since 9/11 it has accelerated with APC's and SWAT teams that look like something out of a SF movies.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Why would it have to be HD? I'd assume SD is good enough for this, and it wouldn't have to be stored that long, how often is it that complaints about an officer come out months after the alleged incident? I would think around a week or two of storage and then if it isn't needed to review an incident it can be deleted.

12. TimelessOne macrumors regular

this is true. I would also start with no longer offering military gear to police departments. Yes I see the need for say a swat team but at the same time Swat should be a last resort team not first. Far to many police departments choose to use those big guns because they well have them so have to justify their use.

And even then only the major city should have them and they should be used in the great area if need be but again they are over used.

Honestly most police do not even need to carry a gun. If it gets to the point they need to pull their weapon their they screwed up else where most of the time.

13. citizenzen Suspended

Considering the number of guns in civilian hands, IMO it is necessary for police to carry them. Ideally, we could make a significant dent in the amount of guns out there. But until then ...

14. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I was reading along, and agreeing with everything, but that statement is one step to far.
    Even here in the Netherlands all police are armed, the incidents in which firearms are used has increased in the last few years.

There has to be a MIDDLE ground between un armed police and a Para Military Army of occupation.;)

15. TimelessOne macrumors regular

Pulling the weapon should he a very last resort.
    Everything should be looked at and see where the messed up a bow they could of prevented getting to the point the weapon had to be pulled. It should always be the question what did the cop did wrong.
    If it is found the cop was unjustified in pulling their weapon. They are put on mandatory unpaid leave pending a sociological evaluation.

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It hasn't gotten a lot of national play, but a few weeks ago a cop patrolling a housing project in NY shot and killed an unarmed, innocent man who was just walking in a stairwell. It appears as if he was patrolling with his gun out and flashlight on. The victim just walked out of the stairwell IIRC and the officer shot him dead.

He's on a desk right now, but so far no word on an indictment.

17. TimelessOne macrumors regular

That cop should be fired, with no pension at the very least. He should not have a badge at all. The gun is a very very blunt tool. It should almost never be used.

18. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Thrown in prison for murder like any us would have happen in the same situation.

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I the collected video is going to have serious value as evidence, then there needs to be a system in place to ensure a secure chain of custody.

This doesn't have to be overly complicated, or even necessarily expensive. But there does need to be some set of standards as to how the is collected, how long it is retained, and the circumstances under which it is distributed outside of the department.

This last issue is a potentially tricky one. Most states and municipalities have "open records" laws that give citizens the right to request - and be provided with - pretty much any "public record". And some joker coming along and requesting every minute of collected footage from every cop in the department could prove to be impossible to fulfill.

None of these are impossible problems. But its going to be a little more complicated than just strapping a Go-Pro to every cops shirtfront.

20. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Body cameras a decent start, but we need to end the brainless shoot first, ask questions later cop mentality that infects this country now.

If cops want to be all propped up as heroes if one of them dies in the line of duty, they should start acting like heroes when they respond to incidents. Pulling out your gun at the first sign of any danger is the mark of a coward, not a hero.

21. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I move that every member of congress wears one. I want to see what they do all day. ;)

22. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

No you don't. ;)

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It's been happening for some time, but 90% of the over-militarization of our local police occurred under Obama. As Iraq and Afghanistan drew down, Obama permitted the Pentagon to grant all that hardware to local police.

http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Warrior-Cop-Militarization-Americas/dp/1610392116

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

25. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

The Kings hypocrisy never ceases to entertain. It's a mistake to take the words spoken seriously, it's a world class ruse.