Obama wants to bankrupt coal industry

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DakotaGuy, Nov 2, 2008.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Thats too bad because I think the U.S. has the most coal reserves of any nation.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Obama wants to hit coal producing places that dont switch to cleaner alternatives, how is this bad?

Hes trying to push clean coal.

4. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I can understand what he is trying to say, however it is going to be spun much differently in coal producing states that Obama needs to win to be elected.

I have pretty much considered this election over and Obama the winner, however I still have a feeling they might pull it out in the 11th hour. I just cannot believe that people would put Sarah Palin number 2 in charge of our nation...but stranger things have happened.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I guess you see the problem with how our politics go then dont you?

Something as simple as this gets spun and launched right back at the candidate, and it works for some reason.

I just hope Obama wins Pennsylvania and from there its pretty much in the bag for him.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Some of us are not thrilled at the prospect of Biden being number 2 either
    If the only comparison is... he is not Palin... well, that's one way to look at it
    But if the standard is "who would be a great #2", I don't think he qualifies either

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. jplan2008 macrumors regular

We need to deal with global warming. We don't have a choice. McCain was a supporter of cap and trade before he changed to drill baby drill, although he still supports a modest version (and is even airing an ad with Obama's praise for his work on cap and trade http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqaoSzSGFNw&eurl=http://redgreenandblue.org/2008/10/31/new-mccain-ad-features-obamas-praise/)

The proposal is to use all the money from the polluters into green energy and green jobs. The limits start higher and go down over time, as alternative energy is expanded. I didn't listen to the interview, but the idea isn't to make the cost prohibitive tomorrow.

8. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I don't think Biden was the best choice either, however I would feel much more comfortable if he had to assume the Presidency then if Palin did.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Which is my point... if the comparison is only "he isn't Palin", then maybe he wins
    But is he really someone you want a heartbeat away either?

Anyway, there are enough threads on this... don't want to hijack this one
    Your premise in this thread merits its own discussion

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Presidents is trixies! They try to takes the precioussss!

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

But McCain is much more likely to be unable to complete a term in office than Obama. This is one area that age and overall medical fitness can't just be ignored.

Between the two, I'd think Palin is more dangerous than Biden if either would ever take over the role of the Presidency.

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That doesn't mean we should recklessly dig and burn that particular fuel to the detriment of the environment and our economy.

Imagine if we said that the residents of Washington DC should file more lawsuits merely because they have the highest concentration of lawyers in the country.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

A bit more info from CNN.

Lethal

14. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I disagree that the article debunks Obama's comment. From my understanding, Obama said the following:

“So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can. It's just that it will bankrupt them because they're going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted.”

His words either have meaning or they don't.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Of course his words have meaning but you can't take one comment from a 48 minute interview out of context like that. Of course, that's just what the Reps. are doing. Obama and McCain have the same ideas on clean coal technology. The interview was not hidden as Palin has lied about. Just another desperate move on a campaign that knows it's going to lose.

16. Frisco macrumors 68020

Oh boy this isn't going to go over well with Pennsylvanians. I bet Fox is in full spin right now.

17. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

BREAKING

HIDDEN AUDIO THAT WAS PUBLICALLY AVAILABLE FOR TEN MONTHS TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT!

Developing...

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My understanding is that McCain and Obama both support clean coal technologies.

Sounds like Palin is "going rogue" again in an attempt to position herself for '12...

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Unfortunatly this might hit big in coal states.

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I want to bankrupt the coal industry as it exists right now.

21. nanofrog macrumors G4

Quite possible if they don't realize the actual facts due to the spin thats been added. :rolleyes: :(

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

surely people wont just go off of what Mccain tells them right?......

........right?

:(

23. nanofrog macrumors G4

LOL! :D

You'd think this would actually be the case. Fairly recent voter history would indicate otherwise. :rolleyes: :(

Why is an obvious and interesting question, and I've come up with a few possibilities. I'm just keeping them to myself. ;) :p

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I can tell you why:

Roughly half of Americans are simply too stupid/dont care to look at the facts and would rather have the tv spoon feed them.

Intelligence isnt exactly highly regarded here.