Obama wants to change election day

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Jul 31, 2016.

1. thermodynamic, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016

thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://www.findlaw.com/voting-rights-law.html

Know your state on voting day.

I already thought it was a holiday given the entitlements listed in the aforementioned article, but:

http://ijr.com/2015/03/274408-obamas-solution-money-politics-completely-change-political-map/

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...ing_holiday_in_rutgers_student_interview.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/05/13/obama-rutgers/84322896/

He essentially wants to make it a federal holiday. He also wants to consider making it on a weekend for our benefit because weekends are easier for all... Along with other obvious reasons.

2. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Internet voting, I can do banking on my smartphone, POS, why not voting.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Because it then could be easily hacked!

4. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Give me a break, my banking has never been hacked.

5. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Nope, no holiday for voting but it should be.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sadly, I don't think Saturday voting would have much effect on voter turnout. Many states have early voting, absentee voting, mail in elections, etc. and voting participation still sucks.

7. satcomer, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

8. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

--- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2016 ---
    You gave examples of hacking voting machines, if they had physical access to them. Show me some examples of banks computer systems being hacked, not phishing attacks where they could gain access to a single account, or cast one vote, but a hack of the system.
    My idea of internet voting would go something like this. Lots of us have smartphones with fingerprint scanners, so when you register to vote they would scan your index finger, if you wanted to do internet voting, polling places would still be open on election day for anyone who couldn't, or did want to vote on the internet. Then the board of elections would provide an Android and an iOS App for voting.

They could open the polling for internet voting for 3 or 4 days. You'd open the app, scan your index finger, and cast your votes.

There's no reason we have to keep living in the past. The dead shall not rule the living.

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

be like Oregon all mail in ballots and auto register to everyone with a Oregon id.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I've got a better idea, free donuts when you go to vote. Who doesn't like donuts.

11. SusanK macrumors 68000

Donuts are a fine idea. I would also suggest that major parties refrain from selecting the nominee prior to the first primary. Let the voters chose. Motivation fades when voting is just an empty exercise.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

As long as illegals can't get an id.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...gon-over-ballot-measure-denying-licenses.html

The best part is that the lawsuit was started by 5 illegal immigrants. You are illegally here, but able to use public resources in the court system to sue a US state :mind boggled:

Their justification for trying to get illegals drivers licenses was that it was easier for them to get jobs. :head exploded:

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

That's because the government isn't running your bank's computer security.

14. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

it should be a federal holiday at least if putting it on the weekend won't increase turnout

15. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

Count yourself lucky. I have been ID thefted...twice. One of them was my bank. other was American express. Amex was the fun one

Guy on phone was going well why didn't you report your card stolen sir? with a slight bit of attitude I perceived like I did something wrong.

Ummm...it wasn't. I am staring at it right now as its in front of me.....

I then heard the please hold as I went from the india call center they use for low level start up call stuff to the American based section that handles the special stuff like this.

If the data access is wanted bad enough...people will get in. Especially government related. I am waiting for my 3rd id theft incident tbh. I am a federal employee. One among many whose data was in the OPM breach. Sadly this may be a question of when....not if.... it happens.

16. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

It is a bit ridiculous that that we have national holidays for a few dead presidents and yet on what is actually the most important day of the year for America people have to go to work.

17. Zenithal Suspended

Vegans?

18. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Voting should be done with paper ballots and all polling places should be monitored by independent organizations that are also monitored. Then, the voting age should be 35.

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

There is no excuse not to vote. All the excuses I hear from people, are the same lame excuses of why they don't exercise.

Making Election day a holiday will just be a day that those that wouldn't have voted would just sleep in that day. Same results.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I agree. I envision a system where you could log in and see your voting history, so the user can check their records and report any irregularities.

21. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

If you're old enough to risk you're life for this country, then you're old enough to vote. Period.

22. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Only millionaires and billionaires should vote.

23. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I think if you're on any kind of government assistance you should not be able to vote.
    Only I should vote. Trust me, we'd all be better off.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I see what you did there :D

25. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Military would get the exceptions, but no one else.