Obama Will Not Attend Scalia Funeral

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Feb 17, 2016.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Can't say that I'm surprised by this.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...l-not-attend-justice-scalia-s-funeral-n520236

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Do you really think his family and friends want Obama there?

3. Robisan macrumors 6502

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7 years into his Presidency and he still doesn't get optics.

5. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Republicans will complain if he doesn't show up.

Republicans would also complain if he did.

In other news, water is wet.

7. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Lets look at that.

Clearly, Scalia was just targeting Obama.:rolleyes:

Seems like our divider in chief has a lot to do with the declining Supreme Court Justice attendance at the State of the Union.

http://time.com/3672123/state-of-the-union-supreme-court/

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Could you or someone please cite where the POTUS is obligated or required to attend the funeral of a SCOTUS justice?

If there is no regulation or word of law showing this outside of it being simply 'respectful', then there is no problem here.

Conversely, I do not recall a time in my life where a living SCOTUS justice attended or was required or obligated to attend the funeral of a POTUS.

BL.

9. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Yeah but they don't want him there, they don't like him, they don't like what he stands for and they fought him every step of the way. If anything, Obama is appeasing those who are attending. If he did go, there would be a huge backlash as well, as typical, he's in a no win situation on this.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The one thing you really don't do is create a fuss at people's funerals.

And Obama will be a pain at the funeral, if only down to the extra security.

11. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

The White House will still be represented there. The funny or sad thing is, if Obama was attending, there would be whining about him going coming from the same people.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

He gets it, he knows he will be criticized no matter what. The criticism will go away faster if he doesn't go, plus it will be easier for Scalia's family if the funeral isn't turned into a big political event.

13. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Why would Obama go? We already know that Obama actually killed him during that hunt down in Texas and he pulled the trigger. The liberal press chalked it up to a heart attack.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Water is not wet. :p

But anyways, Scalia most likely wouldn't have shown up to Obama's funeral, so why should Obama show up to his?

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Funeral is about the deceased. Not those attending IMHO. let the man rest in peace. He was murdered so at least least him rest w/o any more controversy

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I suspect the entire SCOTUS would attend the funeral of a sitting president.

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The Vice President practically exists to attend important funerals, preside over the Senate and cast deciding vote in case of a tie, nudge critical legislation towards passage and of course to step in if the prez is unable to govern. So... let Joe Biden handle the Scalia funeral. He's better at schmoozing anyway, he can chat up the family afterwards and not have all this angst over Obama's impending duty to pick a replacement justice get in the way of an appropriate farewell to Justice Scalia.

18. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Hussein is such a classless dolt. Not one to even remotely act like a dignified leader and President, he is a sad excuse and tarnishes the office he occupies. A Pathetic person indeed.

19. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

TBH, Scalia loved controversy. That is why I refuse to participate in Scalia controversy. ;)

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Name any POTUS who has attended the funeral of a SCOTUS justice. We're waiting for you to label those who didn't classless dolts and a pathetic person.

Wait. I'll even throw you a bone:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-official-funerals-for-supreme-court-justices

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wow.. lookie there.. No POTUS at any of those funerals, including at Taft's own funeral, as he was given a state funeral from being POTUS and chief justice.. and no other SCOTUS justices attended his.

So we await your calling every POTUS back to Washington 'classless dolts, not even remotely to act like a dignified leader and POTUS, and a pathetic person', because Obama has done exactly what every other POTUS has.

BL.

21. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

man this makes me mad. really mad. this is like when obama saluted a marine with a cup of coffee. who does he think he is?

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The POTUS. Because no other POTUS has attended the funeral of a SCOTUS justice.

BL.

23. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

whoosh
    --- Post Merged, Feb 17, 2016 ---
    i feel like i should clear my post. i was being sarcastic. i couldn't care less if he goes to scalias funeral. people as a whole are too obsessed with ceremony

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Fair enough and totally agree. But because it's Obama, some here have gone out of their way to complain and pitch a fit, and embarrass themselves while doing so.

BL.

25. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I suppose you see this the same way you see that he's a muslim?