Obama Wins Mississippi

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zioxide, Mar 11, 2008.

1. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

So all of the major news sources are projecting that Obama is going to win Mississippi.

I've been watching MSNBC and they say he's going to pick up at least 7 more delegates, which cancels out the delegates Hillary won from her victories in Ohio and Rhode Island.

CNN says Obama now has 1607 delegates, only 235 away from the magic number of 1842 if Michigan and Florida delegates are not counted.

2. redfirebird08 macrumors regular

redfirebird08

There is no "magic number" other than 2025, even without the MI and FL delegates.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Go Obama! Any victory is a good thing at this point. I am starting to soften at the idea of an Obama/Hillary ticket though. It might really work well.

4. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

If you take away the delegates from Michigan and Florida, then there is a maximum of 3682 delegates to win. 1842 gives you the majority.

5. redfirebird08 macrumors regular

redfirebird08

Has the DNC said that this number is what's needed? I don't think they have. :confused:

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nope, IIRC, the magic number has always been 2025 (which doesn't make much sense if MI and FL aren't counted)

7. redfirebird08 macrumors regular

redfirebird08

I agree it doesn't make sense, but neither does the superdelegate thing so it's safe to say the DNC is eff-tarded. :D

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No arguments there.

I have a feeling that we'll see more superdelegates endorsing Obama this week. I think they want to see this thing over just as much as we do.

9. redfirebird08 macrumors regular

redfirebird08

The longer she drags it out, the closer he gets to the magic number of 2025. It's going to get to a point where he only needs like 20 super delegates and she still needs 100 of them. Good luck with that one Hillary.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That's good news.

Agreed.

I'm curious why you say this.

The DNC has been interesting to watch as of late with their superdelegate and other election policies.

Seems that way.

Even from across the seas I can feel it. ;)

11. toontra macrumors 6502

Perhaps because it now looks certain that it would be Billary as VP rather than Obama ;)

12. Apemanblues macrumors regular

Apemanblues

13. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

What do you mean? (there's no chance of them both being in the final election, right? :confused: - sorry for the totally clueless question. I am not sure if there is some loophole I am unaware of) :eek:

14. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Obama came through my fair city Monday. I didn't get to go see him, but my children did, so it was a great chance for them.

I've never voted Democrat, but I'm definitely torn this year. Obama has good ideas for education (I'm a teacher), but wants to get rid of the public sector of the student loan business (my wife is a Marketing Rep for a large student loan provider).

15. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

The magic number is still 2025 even with the Florida and Michigan mess. The fun part is that neither Obama nor Clinton can hit that number. The delegates are only bound for the first round of balloting during the convention. But it can't be resolved on the first round. That means all of the Democrat primaries and caucuses will be ignored and they will have to make the choice without the help of the American people...

16. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Agreed. I think what others might be failing to appreciate is that neither Obama nor Hillary are even capable of gaining such a lead so as to get the nomination by pledge delegate count.

All they can hope for is to have three very useful markers:

1.) Pledged Delegate Majority (3,112 out of 4048 awarded)
    2.) Popular Vote Majority (BHO: 13,276,059 - 49.5% / HRC: 12,575,668 - 46.9%)
    3.) Contest/State Majority (44 out of 56 contests decided)

Hillary, at this point, can only aspire for #1. and #2. If Obama hits 1842 at any time, she will NEVER pass him on pledge delegates, which represent the "will of the people" (though Clinton has noted publically that even pledged delegates can "switch", although I doubt anyone is listening to this line of argument). It's entirely possible she may catch up to him on the popular vote, which she, for now, also trails Obama in. She's also far behind in her state count, although her campaign is more interested in noting "big states" and ignoring the significance of other states. There are 12 main contests left, and as such she has no chance of gaining the state advantage even with a nearly impossible 12 contest sweep (which would give her a match of 28 to 28).

Obama's already passed 28 wins to her 16 wins. It is highly likely that Michigan may end up being a caucus, which would favor Obama, and Florida would be a mail-in ballot.

~ CB

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I could be wrong, but I think it would definitely bring the party together. I don't know though, maybe it's not such a good idea. We'll have to wait and see, I suppose.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Obama can choose Hillary or whoever else he wants to run as his vice president.

I still haven't warmed up to the idea of her as a VP. IMO, she has caused reprehensible and unforgivable damage to Obama's reputation and the party, and I don't think it should be rewarded with a VP spot (and should Obama win in 2008, a guaranteed presidential nomination in 8 years). I was OK with the idea before, but I quickly became less comfortable with it when she went scorched earth. There are better people out there to be the VP. And if Obama wants the "but he doesn't have any foreign policy experience" people to ****, he's going to need someone like Joe Biden or Bill Richardson. I even think someone like Chuck Hagel or Lincoln Chafee would be great to get the more moderate and conservative voters. Granted, they're both RINOs, but it could still get some votes that a Democratic VP could not.

19. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I don't think she's caused any irreparable harm to Obama, but there are 2 reasons I don't think that Hillary and Obama will run as a team.

1) They are both from the northeast (currently) which mostly votes Democrat anyway, both of them need more inroads to the south, sure Hillary might get Arkansas, but it would be best to get a VP from a state that they might have trouble in.

2) As much as I hate to say it, I don't think many voters are ready for a minority and a woman on the same ticket, it may sound racist and misogynistic, but lets face it there are a lot of people who could probably bring themselves to vote for either candidate, but would be turned off by them both on the same ticket. Sadly I think this is also what will keep Richardson off the shortlist for VP. There needs to be someone to appeal to the "old white guys" club.

With the margin of victory in MS Obama has now pulled ahead in the popular vote even when you count MI and FL and give none of the uncommitted voters to Obama. If he can keep things close enough in the states he loses from here on out, he'll have both the pledged delegates and the popular vote on his side and Hillary would be committing political suicide if she managed to pull the nomination away using the superdelegates or convincing pledged delegates to change their votes. She might manage to win in November but unless she did a spectacular job as president she'd probably be a one term president. Thankfully for the same reason I believe that, while she could and would do it if there were no repercussion, she won't torpedo Obama in the general election and hope to run again in 2012.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You're right, irreparable was going a bit too far. But it's definitely unforgivable. And I agree with you on the other points as well. He needs someone from a south, and to please some of the people, a white male

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I see what you mean. It makes sense to me as someone coming from the other side of the aisle.

22. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Oooooh, right. Thanks. (I very faintly remember hearing that from my edumacation, and totally forgot. :eek:)

I can't see it happening, for the same reasons atszyman said.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Don't forget that the VP is next in line to be Pres, do you really want Hillary to have that chance.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wouldn't if I were Obama. Honestly, I don't think that Hillary would accept the VP nomination.

25. elcid macrumors 6502

She wouldn't. And whoever would accept Hilary's VP spot would be shunned more than any other VP IMO. Bill would be the closest advisor, so whoever might be the VP would only be there to run in 8 years.

However being the weakest VP in history can't bode too well for a presidential campaign.