Obama Wins South Carolina!!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by halfprep455, Jan 26, 2008.

1. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

MSNBC and CNN project Obama to win SC. Exit pools also show that Obama got 25% of the white vote and over 50% of white people under 30. He also got over 85% of the African-American vote. Seems like he i s not just the black candidate after all! Hope this momentum carries over to super Tuesday!

OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA!

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes! Go Obama! This is great to see. Let's hope this continues into Florida.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Looks like I vote green party this year.Obama gets as much money from PAC's as Hillary does.

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Well, I dunno about Florida, but come on Super Tuesday!

I am really interested in seeing the spread here...

EDIT: Didn't see this post :)
    I don't think anyone can say that either Hillary or Obama will be the winner yet.
    OT, who is the green party candidate this year?

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonW580i/R6BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Florida doesn't have any Dem delegates. And go Barack!

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Hillary will probably take most of the Northeast.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, somebody's voting in Florida according to the Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/chi-obama-wins26,0,6857236.story

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I had heard that Florida lost their delegates....did something change?

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

http://www.gp.org/index.php

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Huge victory for Obama.. he got more than twice as many votes as Hillary.

He got a big victory in Iowa, extremely close 2nd in NH, close 2nd in NV, and a huge win in SC. Looking good so far.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

He got more delegates in NV, therefore, I'd say he won it.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well. good for him, hopefully American voter population as a whole is brave enough for a minority president.

And I hope Obama finds an effective way responding to negative tactics. He can't keep that image of "above partisanship" when GOP attacks, probably soon.

13. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    I'm going to take a moment out now and try to be as sincere and serious as I can be.

Anyone who's read anything I've written within the PRSI area of MacRumors.com knows I'm not a liberal or a Democrat, and can probably reasonably easily guess I will not be voting for Barack Obama in the Florida primaries this Tuesday. However, having said all that...

I would really like to say how Mr. Obama, even though he's tarred with the fact that he's Muslim and black, has on his own merits overcome all of that, and to me he's neither of those two things, but rather he's simply a very intelligent, well-spoken, and to all intents and purposes stable gentleman. Were he conservative and otherwise politically "in my camp", I would not otherwise hesitate to vote for the guy.

Certainly if I had to choose between him and Mrs. Clinton, I'd pick Obama in a moment. He doesn't carry the baggage with him that Hillary does, and he just seems to be a more sensible, emotionally stable guy. Period.

For his sake, I hope he wins the Democratic nomination because I think Democrats deserve someone better than the other two alternatives.

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

No, he's Christian.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I agree that he is the less evil of the 3. I think an Obama McCain match up could be entertaining.

16. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

I think the best race would be Obama/Chuck Hagel or Mike Bloomberg vs. Romney/Huckabee. The race would easily be a landslide for Obama! Hell Obama vs any GOP candidate would probably be a landslide. Just look at S.C. , Obama received MORE votes then McCain and Huckabee combined! In one of the reddest states in the coutry!

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I read some other good news on DailyKos just now (Yes, I know it's anything but a neutral source, but these are cold hard voter turnout numbers, they can't really be fudged). About 50,000 more people voted in the SC Dem primary than the repub one. SC, a state that's always been about as red as you can get, has more people voting for Democrats. This could really be a blow to the republicans in the general election. They're going to have to spend time and money in a state that historically, they didn't even need to bother with to win.

18. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I know it's been pointed out once already, but I'd really like to know where you got the idea that Obama is Muslim. Seriously?

19. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i thought that was interesting as well. perhaps b/c MikeTheC's writing style reminds me of another MR fellow, who mentioned that s/he was a poli sci student and used to work on Capitol Hill.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You know what? I'm becoming less impressed with you every time you post. You have a fascinating talent for ignoring facts. Obama isn't a muslim- he's Christian. Not that it should matter, but when people like you try to distort the facts to fit your POV, it really gets under my skin.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm going to be open-minded and assume Mike was told by somebody that Obama is a Muslim and he believed it. Lord knows there are enough smear-merchants out there trying to make both covert and overt connections between Obama and Muslims, trying to water the seeds of fear and bigotry, no doubt. But the rest of Mike's post was rather complimentary of Obama, so I'm going to assume it wasn't a deliberate misrepresentation of him. (Though I have to say, I wouldn't have used the words "tarred with the fact that he's Muslim and black". It's not the racial connotations of "tar", it's the idea that being Muslim and black might be automatic detriments.)

Not that I know of.

That's great. And let's not forget Iowa went like that too: twice as many Democrats turned out to vote than Republicans.

There's no guarantee, of course, but this has signs of looking pretty ugly for the GOP this fall.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OK- maybe I was a bit harsh- sorry to Mike. However, if one is going to make such strong statements, it's best to check the facts first.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Buried in the South Carolina primary exit poll numbers is an interesting statistic: Obama won voters who decided within the last three days of the campaign. I'd like to think this is a cautionary note for the Clinton campaign that voters are not warming to their not-so-subtle race baiting tactics.

24. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Why vote green? You could stay at home and save the gas, if all you plan to do is throw your vote away.

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Receiving money from a Political Action Committee shouldn't automatically discount a politician. After all:

• Arizona League of Conservation Voters
    • Coastal Conservation Assn
    • Friends of the Earth
    • Green Worlds Coalition Fund
    • League of Conservation Voters
    • Montana Conservation Voters
    • Ocean Champions
    • Oregon Natural Resources Council
    • PawPAC
    • Republicans for Environmental Protection
    • Sierra Club
    • Wild PAC

All of these are environmental PACs. In 2000 and 2004, the Sierra Club not only gave money, but also endorsed the Democratic candidate. Now, obviously not all PACs are created equal, but I don't think it's fair to hang a politician because someone gave them money. Rather, you can judge a politician by who they do and do not accept money from.