Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Demonface, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Demonface, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

Demonface macrumors 6502a

2. leekohler, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

In the future, post things like this in the political forum. You didn't do anything to break the rules. But the mods will move it to that forum in a bit.

BTW- Obama is right.

3. Demonface thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks and I added another video . The truth shall come out.

4. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Yup. And it kills people to admit it apparently.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh yes- plenty of conservatives think that they do everything by themselves. It's really sad.

6. Demonface thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree 100% . Do you notice that alot of them here are avoiding this post.
    I guess when you watch Fox News etc you become brainwashed and you cant think for yourself.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It truly is amazing when you see it. There is no desire to seek the truth with many in the GOP- all that matters is ideology, no matter how detrimental or unrealistic that ideology may be. The GOP is not interested in the truth, as they ignore it all the time.

But the leaders in the GOP are not stupid, they count on their followers for that. The leaders are quite brilliant. They tell their followers exactly what they want to hear, but yet never deliver. All they have to do is say they're religious and poof! their followers will do anything they ask.

8. Mackan macrumors 65816

Obama is of course right, and he is a very intelligent man. But he is fighting an uphill battle against his own country, because there a lot of dumb people out there. America doesn't have such a great system as he says. It's self-evident.

9. ender land macrumors 6502a

Welcome to politics.

10. chris200x9, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

Did anyone see the daily show (I think, maybe the colbert report) on this? It was great the had dueling clips of Romney and Obama saying the exact same thing. I mean he just chose awkward wording, get over it.

edit: But this just flies in the face of those that say he's such a great public speaker, a great public speaker would not have misworded something that badly. I mean seriously giving your opposition a sound bite saying "If you have a business you didn't build that" what was he thinking. Above average speaker at best.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Great speakers also don't say "um" as much as he does either.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd say the problem is in the listening, more than the speaking.

13. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

He has a point. When you are running for office, you should be smart enough to not give your opponent any chance to smash you. He could have chosen his words better, not said the you didn't build that part right after the if you own a business part. It's like gore's internet remark. Yeah, he was right but Jesus Christ do u really even want to leave yourself open to such an easy hit after saying something even remotely close to I built the Internet?

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It is impossible not to give one's opponent "any" chance to smash you, especially when one's opponent is backed by a media outlet followed a sizable audience that is willing to fall for these fantasies, hook, line and sinker.

You cannot protect against that, no matter how smart you are.

15. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

True but you have to admit, sometimes people make it way too easy. Look at Romeny. Guy doesn't know when to just say yes or no. He goes on and on and looks like a fool. How many "gaffes" did he make on his latest trip. One would think a career politician would know better by now.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I know what you mean, but over the long haul of a campaign it has got to be incredibly difficult not to give your opponent something to latch onto. Rather than squelch the candidate, I'd prefer to improve our ability to listen to, report, and analyze what the candidates are saying.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Funny- now that they've been caught, not one conservative will comment in this thread.

Just once, I'd like them to admit they made a mistake. But we all know that will never happen. And that is exactly why they get no respect from the opposing side.

18. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's true...I've never heard any of the few Romney supporters here ever admit to being wrong on anything. They couldn't even answer my question on what Romney could do to upset them so much they wouldn't vote for him. Whereas I think a fair number of Democrats could list things that would be deal breakers within their own party.

But not the Romney supporters that I have seen post here. It's total blind allegiance. And last time the world stage saw that....well, I won't mention the name, but it didn't lead to a good conclusion. Blind allegiance never does.

19. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

It's no secret that Obama is all about wealth redistribution. All of his policies prove it. He is following Elizabeth Warren's lead from her "Social Contract" BS. The businesses and people who actually pay taxes did pay to build those roads and bridges. Without that tax money the people who actually did build the infrastructure would not have had jobs.

Now that a conservative has spoken, can a liberal produce a copy of the social contract?

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think we call it the U.S. Constitution.

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I understand what you are saying but you make it sound like Government has no function here. It's not like those roads would ever get paved and connected together if businesses had to do it on their own. Okay...maybe eventually but it would be a patchwork mess with no master plan whatsoever and it is doubtful our interstate highway system would have ever been built. And (sadly) most business don't want to do on the job training so teachers are needed to give the masses an education (of sorts...sorely lacking in that dept these days). So Obama is right when he says businesses did not get there on their own. They didn't. It's a hand in hand partnership with government.

Bottom line is that most businesses (and individuals for that matter) would not pay any taxes at all if they were some voluntary donation, even if it were in their best interest. So Government is a necessity to make sure that the job gets done and taxes are collected and to hold everything together cohesively. And that is true whether it be Canada, Japan, England, or yes...the United States too.

22. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Caught doing what ?
    Making fun of Obama because the way he communicated was clearly ambiguous ?

What's wrong with making fun of politicians ?

-t

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Poking fun is just fine. Deliberately lying about what was actually said is not.

24. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Agreed. Government doesn't create things. We create government that creates things through the people. Our infrastructure doesn't come out of thin air and the way he worded it was piss poor although it has been taken out of context. A better wording would have been that 'as a capitalistic country, we rely on a degree of specialization in which no one can succeed alone because we all depend on the goods and services other produce to create a functional whole. Most products or services rely on an infrastructure which citizens have built over a period of many decades through taxes, and even the most talented of individuals have had great teachers along the way such as good parents. When the functional whole comes together, we use the income generated from our products and services to purchase products and services from others. In that process, we ourselves continue to build the infrastructure through taxes and we go from learners to teachers to help younger generations succeed and continue the cycle.'

25. 184550 Guest

Do you feel similarly about the Romney quote that has been equally taken out of context?

This has already been discussed in the Chick-fil-A thread. Starts on page 18, post 428.