Obamacare 2019

Herdfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
So has everyone chosen their plan for 2019?

I just did mine. Trying something new: Zero Deductible with a premium of $2785/mo. for a 52/53/18 year old family.

john123

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2001
So has everyone chosen their plan for 2019?

I just did mine. Trying something new: Zero Deductible with a premium of $2785/mo. for a 52/53/18 year old family.
I’m bringing it down to the wire as always. I did a Platinum plan this past year but would have come out better with Silver or Gold. That said, the reverse has been true in previous years. The only guarantee is that whatever I choose, I’ll wish I’d gone the other way. :-D

john123

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2001
$2800 a month? I feel like I am going to vomit. Thank goodness I get mine through work.

I wonder what happened to the big beautiful healthcare that Trump promised.
That’s actually not too insane when you think about it and take into account the zero deductible, the size of the family, and the amount paid on your behalf with employer-sponsored plans. Plus buying your own insurance if self employed is a 1040 AGI subtraction, so that’s pretty nice too.

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
  • Stock market - down
  • Majority of CFOs surveyed - predicting recession in 2019
  • Fed prosecutors - evidence that Trump committed felony
  • No Mexico funded wall
  • No "big beautiful healthcare" that covers everyone for less money

I think I need to look up the definition of "winning".

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
$2800 a month? I feel like I am going to vomit. Thank goodness I get mine through work.

trump got people the next best thing, no mandate, Ocare went up even with the mandate so Obama lied in that regard.
mine is also through work and my out of pocket is about 1/4 of what a comparable ocare program was.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/11/politics/obamacare-premiums-2019/index.html
It will cost a little less to buy Obamacare coverage in 2019.

The average premium for the benchmark silver plan will decline by 1.5%, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services said Thursday.
end the mandate and the premium went down a bit, that is what happens when insurance CO'S need to compete for your dollars. MAGA 2020

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
$129 a month for a 37/35/21/9 year old family. $2000 deductible that only really applies if I seek care outside of my organization. Otherwise everything is covered 100% or for small $20 dollar co-pays. (Except major surgery)

Good thing my org has 178 hospitals in the US and 18 of them are in the Houston area.

Nice to work in healthcare.

john123

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2001
trump got people the next best thing, no mandate, Ocare went up even with the mandate so Obama lied in that regard.
mine is also through work and my out of pocket is about 1/4 of what a comparable ocare program was.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/11/politics/obamacare-premiums-2019/index.html

end the mandate and the premium went down a bit, that is what happens when insurance CO'S need to compete for your dollars. MAGA 2020
So much wrong with this post I don’t even know where to begin.

First Obama never said that prices wouldn’t increase for some. They always were going to go up for some people with the mandate. That’s entirely how it works. The point of the ACA is to ensure people don’t get screwed and that everyone can get affordable coverage. Everyone pays the same rate for each plan type regardless of pre-existing conditions. The effect should be common sense, and if not, pick up a basic economics book and turn to the chapter on risk and uncertainty.

Second, you’re confusing cause and effect. In fact you have the relationship entirely backward.

The (very slight) decline in 2019 premiums occurs only because they skyrocketed in the past couple years. And do you know why? (You obviously don’t so I’ll tell you.) Uncertainty. It’s the enemy of any for-profit insurance enterprise, and that risk premium gets passed on to consumers. So 2017 and in particular 2018 premiums priced in Trump insanity. Then we got clarity about what would and would not be happening this year. That lowers uncertainty. However, repeal of the mandate means that self-selection is a bigger problem, and that pushes premiums up. The effect is a wash.

Repeal of the mandate is just bad policy. You’re required to buy auto insurance for a reason. The same reason plus everyone else’s risk pool and self selection bias applies to health insurance. Having the government tell you what to do feels sucky, and I’m sure to people who don’t understand economics and use words like “liberty” like a catch phrase, this feels great. But the implications of this decision will suck more in the long run.

Reactions: MarkG21

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
So much wrong with this post I don’t even know where to begin.

First Obama never said that prices wouldn’t increase for some. They always were going to go up for some people with the mandate. That’s entirely how it works. The point of the ACA is to ensure people don’t get screwed and that everyone can get affordable coverage. Everyone pays the same rate for each plan type regardless of pre-existing conditions. The effect should be common sense, and if not, pick up a basic economics book and turn to the chapter on risk and uncertainty.

Second, you’re confusing cause and effect. In fact you have the relationship entirely backward.

The (very slight) decline in 2019 premiums occurs only because they skyrocketed in the past couple years. And do you know why? (You obviously don’t so I’ll tell you.) Uncertainty. It’s the enemy of any for-profit insurance enterprise, and that risk premium gets passed on to consumers. So 2017 and in particular 2018 premiums priced in Trump insanity. Then we got clarity about what would and would not be happening this year. That lowers uncertainty. However, repeal of the mandate means that self-selection is a bigger problem, and that pushes premiums up. The effect is a wash.

Repeal of the mandate is just bad policy. You’re required to buy auto insurance for a reason. The same reason plus everyone else’s risk pool and self selection bias applies to health insurance. Having the government tell you what to do feels sucky, and I’m sure to people who don’t understand economics and use words like “liberty” like a catch phrase, this feels great. But the implications of this decision will suck more in the long run.
thor forbid you make decisions that suit you :rolleyes:

Herdfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011

Trump? What about the lower costs Obama promised?
[doublepost=1544817355][/doublepost]
That’s actually not too insane when you think about it and take into account the zero deductible, the size of the family, and the amount paid on your behalf with employer-sponsored plans. Plus buying your own insurance if self employed is a 1040 AGI subtraction, so that’s pretty nice too.
Actually it was only about $200 difference between the no deductible plan and the 2400/4800 plan. Prescription coverage is better with this one.

I would actually prefer a simple catastrophic plan. Makes no sense to me to pay the insurance company so they can pay my doctor. Let me pay him and skip the middle man and associated costs.

Reactions: Rhonindk

john123

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2001
thor forbid you make decisions that suit you :rolleyes:
People are stupid and make bad decisions all the time, especially when it comes to money. Just look at the 63 million Americans who voted for Trump!

Half-jokes aside, the other equally important point is that the decisions you make don’t just affect you. They affect everyone else too. See previous discussion of risk pools.
[doublepost=1544818285][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1544817355][/doublepost]

Actually it was only about $200 difference between the no deductible plan and the 2400/4800 plan. Prescription coverage is better with this one.

I would actually prefer a simple catastrophic plan. Makes no sense to me to pay the insurance company so they can pay my doctor. Let me pay him and skip the middle man and associated costs.
Therein lies what I actually see as the worst part of the ACA. Ostensibly the Bronze plans are supposed to be like catastrophic plans on steroids. Practically they are way too expensive almost across the board but especially in very unhealthy states.

The one immediate benefit of repeal of the mandate is you can get those catastrophic plans now. Long run it’s going to suck for everyone though.

Herdfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
The one immediate benefit of repeal of the mandate is you can get those catastrophic plans now. Long run it’s going to suck for everyone though.
Not in my market. Cheapest Bronze was $1980+ with a $4/8K deductible and $15.8K OOP. The HSA plan sucked also.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
It is absurd that anyone should have to pay $2800/mo to provide health insurance for their family.

Reactions: netdudeuk

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
  • Stock market - down
  • Majority of CFOs surveyed - predicting recession in 2019
  • Fed prosecutors - evidence that Trump committed felony
  • No Mexico funded wall
  • No "big beautiful healthcare" that covers everyone for less money
I think I need to look up the definition of "winning".
On the first 2...So, now its "Trump's" economy? So let me get this straight. When things go well it is Obama's and at a possible sign of a downturn it becomes Trump's. Got to love the logic.

On the others. I have yet to see any evidence that Trump committed a felony. Is this breaking news as I have been working all day? The money we save dealing with illegal aliens would fund the wall. Also, stopping aid to Mexico would fund the wall. Easy to make them pay for it. He did try to change healthcare, but it was shut down. I didn't like his plan as I prefer a free market, and we don't have one when it comes to healthcare.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
On the first 2...So, now its "Trump's" economy? So let me get this straight. When things go well it is Obama's and at a possible sign of a downturn it becomes Trump's. Got to love the logic.

On the others. I have yet to see any evidence that Trump committed a felony. Is this breaking news as I have been working all day? The money we save dealing with illegal aliens would fund the wall. Also, stopping aid to Mexico would fund the wall. Easy to make them pay for it. He did try to change healthcare, but it was shut down. I didn't like his plan as I prefer a free market, and we don't have one when it comes to healthcare.
The only person you have to blame for that logic is Trump himself.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
The GOP did everything they could to sabotage the full implementation of the ACA, so whatever exists today is not what was originally planned.

No mandate basically undermines the main premise of the ACA. Trump also reduced the customer support for the ACA. They keep trying to dismantle it piece by piece while they continue to say it doesn't work. And somehow the GOP lauded the mandate concept in Romneycare, which was based around recommendations of a conservative think tank, but somehow with Obamacare it became something to despise. I think it was the "Obama" in Obamacare that caused them to flip.

john123

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2001
Not in my market. Cheapest Bronze was $1980+ with a $4/8K deductible and $15.8K OOP. The HSA plan sucked also.
Yeah that’s what I was saying - Bronze isn’t really catastrophic. It’s a raw deal. To get an affordable catastrophic plan you usually have to shop off exchange. Depending on where you are they can be one-tenth the cost of a Bronze. That ain’t right.
[doublepost=1544823597][/doublepost]
It is absurd that anyone should have to pay $2800/mo to provide health insurance for their family.
Maybe, maybe not. Health care is too expensive. What’s funny to me is that the same people who decry Obamacare as an abomination often make this same complaint—and yet the costs in the US are directly related to it being a pretty free market here. Innovation is just really expensive.
[doublepost=1544823671][/doublepost]
ECONOMY is great right now..........
Yes it is. Thank you, President Obama!

(Actually it’s not “great,” but facts don’t seem to matter to you.)

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
Obama who?
I didn't credit or blame Trump for the current state of the economy. I just described what the current state is.

Your hero, on the other hand, seemed plenty happy to take credit for the economy when indicators were up. Some random tweet grabs from a google search:

On the others. I have yet to see any evidence that Trump committed a felony. Is this breaking news as I have been working all day?
Sooner or later, Trump supporters are going to have to come to terms with the fact that Trump committed a felony with what happened with Cohen. Even guys at fox news are saying this:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-news-judge-napolitano-we-now-know-trump-committed-a-felony

And if we are truly being honest, if it were Obama that had so many people part of their campaign convicted or plead guilty to all kinds of crimes, republicans wouldn't be looking to impeach, republicans would be looking for a hanging

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1061649185110417408

The money we save dealing with illegal aliens would fund the wall. Also, stopping aid to Mexico would fund the wall. Easy to make them pay for it. He did try to change healthcare, but it was shut down. I didn't like his plan as I prefer a free market, and we don't have one when it comes to healthcare.
Blah blah blah.

Trump is threatening to shut down government if congress doesn't give him $5 billion for the wall. That's not the Mexicans paying for it in any way, shape or form. Unless he meant Mexican-Americans.

Last edited:
Reactions: john123

Bug-Creator

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2011
Germany
24 months in, trump has made plenty of changes but you want to credit Obama?
So you do agree that coming recession is 100% on Trump?

Well reality is that the economy runs in cycles and it's not wether your the one riding it up or down that is important, what matters if you still go some dry powder to restart once you hit rockbottom.

Reactions: AlliFlowers