Obamacare Benchmark Premiums to Rise 25% in Sharpest Jump Yet

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Populism, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Populism, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Apologies for the racist thread...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...mark-premiums-to-rise-25-in-sharpest-jump-yet

And remember, if Obamacare hadn't rolled out, the science shows that the premium increase would have been infinity-worse!

The science is settled!

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Ha! Racism! You slay me, Pops! What with how you subtly make fun of people by constantly bringing it up out of context it in every post you make. HEIGHT OF WIT RIGHT THERE!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go watch Roots in reverse.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sounds like we need to fix it.

Someone get congress on that immediately.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I won't hold my breath on that one. It's too juicy a point of blame to not let it fail. And during an election season, no less!

That whole thing about always maintaining the welfare of American people? Pfft.

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Considering that many Americans can't afford to utilize the plans they have, this is great news! :rolleyes:

The average silver plan deductible is over $3000 ($5,700 for bronze), with many plans now combing medical and prescription costs.

For the people who make too much money to get Medicaid but don't make enough to afford a $200/month premium + $3000 deductible + another $3000+ to hit their out of pocket max, they're in a real pickle. The whole concept of the ACA was to get preventative treatment in uninsured individuals. Now productive people that were already insured and are forgoing preventive treatment.

Talk about helping the middle class...

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

You mean screwing the middle class? ACA. Is nothing more than a massive tax on the poor. Obama sold out to the insurance COs
    --- Post Merged, Oct 24, 2016 ---
    We're finding ourselves in the midst of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Striking the ACA off the books will only serve to strip millions of people with preexisting conditions of their insurance, without lowering costs for the middle class. Though keeping it as-is obviously isn't a solution either.

If there's one thing I do agree with Trump on, it's that forcing interstate competition among our insurance companies, all but striking the McCarran-Ferguson Act off the books, would help a bit by making them abide by the rules of an open market. No more protections, more competition, blah blah blah. Thing is, Obama couldn't get this past congress for the ACA, and I doubt that Trump will have a much better chance at success. Even worse, any benefits that come from this won't be seen immediately. It'll take at least 5 years for the market to restabilize itself under these new conditions, which will leave us all suffering in the interim.

Really, I think we're all a bit screwed all around, at least in the short term.

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

We're going to have to go single payer to make any national healthcare proposal affordable. I think we all knew that without the public option this wasn't going to work

8. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Serious question, if the rest of the developed world can figure out how to provide healthcare to their whole populations at affordable costs, why can't the richest country in the world? I'm not saying our NHS is the answer, but the French, Germans and Swedes all have very good systems.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Liberals called everyone dumb when we told them that this system of forcing people to buy private insurance wouldn't work. Time to rub their smug faces in it.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Actually, the UK life expectancy was greater than that of the US a few years back, and having experienced both the US and UK systems, I much prefer the UK system. I do think the solution for the US is a system like that of the UK - everybody pays for basic universal medical care through taxes, but people still have the option to go private if they want to. In essence the US should make the Public Health Service ... wait for it ... a public health service, starting up in deprived areas first (rural and urban) and then expanding to universal coverage. Training of physicians could be paid for by scholarships from the government, provided that the recipients work in the PHS for a specified number of years (the US military has done this previously). And we'll have to reform malpractice law so that punitive damages go to the PHS, and not greedy lawyers.

What I do not understand is why people in the US are committed to a private health care system that is evidently inefficient and failing. The UK NHS is quite a financial asset for companies operating in the UK - they don't have to worry about health care issues for their employees unless they want to sweeten pay packages with private health care insurance. The main thing about nationalised health care, though, is that if a government that believes in the austerity fairy gets a hold on the budget, patients suffer.

11. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

It's because somewhere someone here doesn't want it to work.

12. VulchR, Oct 25, 2016

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Actually, this liberal has always said the Romney/ObamaCare was a half-a$$ed solution, but those on the right have opposed nationalised health care so vigorously that Romney/ObamaCare was the only compromise that got more Americans medical care. And by the way, why are people surprised and resentful that providing more medical care for people who really need it isn't without cost?

13. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Barry-Care was doomed from the get go. Most of us knew that but we had to let it "try" itself out. Fail. So, now what? A nation that has trillions in wealth cant provide basic health care? That doesnt seem right. Hmmm. What to do?

Id like to see:
    1) Going back to when insurance was JUST for major stuff, not every little hangnail and sore throat. Im old enough to remember when my parents took me for allergy shot and we paid OUT OF POCKET for such services. The idea of everything being "covered" is what allows prices to go unchecked. Its covered...but at what cost?
    2) Speaking of costs - NO ONE has ever tackled the costs and thats whats killing health care. Ya ever look at an itemized hospital bill or even a Dr. bill? Its vomit-inducing what things cost. Its out of control and it never comes up in any discussions. Too many people have their hands in the till. Get the costs down for medical stuff and then premiums will come down.
    3) Allow us to shop for insurance where ever and however we want - just like car insurance. There is NOreason to not allow this.
    4) Charge MORE for premiums to those that live unhealthy lifestyles and make bad decisions. Back to the car insurance analogy: If someone has 5 DWIs, 3 accidents, and multiple other claims.... guess what? They pay MORE for car insurance than safe drivers with cleaner records. Amazing. Reward those who try to live healthy with LOWER premiums and benefit costs. Why is insurance the same price for the fat, lazy, over-eater as it is for the fit & active person? Thats absurd. I get that some ailments are NOT self-induced and thats understandable. There has to be a way to do this fairly though - why shouldnt smokers and sedentary sloths pay more than people who do the right things?

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Romney didn't shove this bill through, the democrats and Obama did, own it.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

All part of the plan.
    "Americans are too stupid."

16. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Question about how private insurance works over there.

My mom is on Medicare, but she has a private supplement that pays what Medicare doesn't. Is that how private insurance works over there, to basically fill in the gaps of the NHS plans. Or does it completely replace it?

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That's funny, many of us told you guy exactly what this was: a last ditch handout to the insurance industry so they could extract wealth one last time before a complete transition away from this profit based "**** you" to the American people.

Seeing as the the corporatists from both parties declared that single payer was going to be a non-starter, the best we got was the same system with rules to keep insurance companies from ****ing people over entirely.

Single Payer is needed. End of story.

But hey, go one about your fantasy team sports, some of us were saying from the beginning that while the ACA was an improvement structurally the entire system is rotten to the core. Some of us don't give a **** about teams. We want rights, the right to healthcare in the wealthiest country the world has ever seen.

18. Herdfan macrumors 6502

The problem with the ACA is that it is actually 2 problems.

First you have the problem of rising premiums caused by the mechanics of the law. Sick people were allowed to enroll, but healthy people were not forced to enroll. (The penalties for not enrolling should have been the equivalent to the bronze level coverage.) So the law is pricing many consumers out or creating hardships for them.

But the second problem is a political one. The Dems don't want to admit the law is flawed so they don't want to fix it and the GOP wants the Dems on the hook and won't fix it. So until it completely crashes, neither side will budge.

I do wonder if the tower elites (Obama/Clinton/Reid/Pelosi) knew that this was going to happen and used (yes used as many of those who voted for the ACA have been voted out) Congress to pass the horrible law knowing in the end they would get what they wanted.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You know if the dufus was not running as GOP POTUS Candidate, we would not be so distracted and we could listen to Congressional Republican Leadership obfuscate on the matter. They have no interest, because it will cost some of their profits. The bottom line, if you have any hopes of seeing reasonable health care costs, you need to turn to the the party who is sympathetic to these issues. Hmm, who would that be?

20. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I agree but for a different reason. They want to hang the failure on the Dems. And the Dems would do the same to the GOP if the roles were reversed (think Iraq war) so you really can't blame them.

As for the profits, remember it was the Dems that made the promises to the Insurance Companies and got them onboard, not the GOP.

21. Huntn, Oct 25, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Don't you know tax cuts for the fabulously wealthy is much more important? It requires the kind of spending the obstructionist party, otherwise known as the GOP stands firmly against. Get back to work peon.

Indiana Jones Temple of Doom.png
    Democrat wearing fedora visits the mine.
    "Excuse me while I take care of these House Republicans...
    with your help of course."
    Roll music.

Temple of Doom Slave Driver.jpg

:D
    --- Post Merged, Oct 25, 2016 ---
    I disagree, the Republicans have NO interest in providing workable health care. The Democrats have been trying to get this going for years. The villainous Hillary tried it back in the 90s. ;) The first reason they hated her.

22. BoxerGT2.5, Oct 25, 2016

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Why don't the people in the US want UHC or a system like the UK. Look at the cancer survival rates between the two countries and that's one answer. People understand that wait times and poorer treatment options (to curb costs) is not something they are prepared to accept. Until US citizens accept 6 more women dying out of 100,000 from breast cancer (as one example) as an acceptable trade off to reducing the cost of healthcare for everyone, there will be a standstill. The UK's adoption of cancer fighting drugs is on par with the Czech Republic (not exactly an economic powerhouse). US citizens aren't prepared to give up any option when it comes to their health. The second answer is the growing attempt by political leaders to divide the US and pit one class vs. another. Right now 5% of the country pays for 70% of everything and currently they're being told they're not doing enough. Add a UHC system on top of that in a political climate where one party refuses to be honest with the other 95% that in the case of UHC, EVERYONE would have to put skin in the game and there in lies a stalemate. I think they know it can't be done on the backs of the top 5% and they haven't figured out a way to spin it without looking like abject liars when the rubber meets the road, much like Obama and his HC plan (ie.....You can keep your doctor and the average family will save X dollars). This is to say nothing of the fact that our politicians have let SS and Medicare get to a point where the **** will hit the fan and none of them have the political backbone to fix it.

With that said, I'm in total agreement something needs to be done, but I understand peoples reservations.

23. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Wonder if she was drunk during this press conference?

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

And millions of newly insured Americans will appreciate that, like some members in my extended family who were simply too poor to pay for health insurance. No matter what we do, the costs will increase. That is, unless we're prepared to let people die in the streets.
    It can be either, but in general the gaps in NHS care are about 'elective' procedures and triaged waiting lists for treatment. There is the accusation that private health insurance allows people to avoid the NHS waiting list unfairly, but so few people opt for private health insurance in the UK that this is only a modest concern. In general the same doctors that work for the NHS also work for private insurance companies.
    Good point, but basically it all boils down to funding. The NHS has been run over many years by a government that believes in the austerity fairy. No matter how much a budget is cut or constrained, they still think they can get higher efficiency, and they keep pressurising for cost savings even if it risks patients. If a nationalised health service is adopted by the US, there has to be some protection for its budget.

25. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

The party that gave us this disaster called Obamacare in the first place? I think not.

But this line of thinking is typical among the deluded left. Democrats pass a law using dubious parliamentary tactics and in the dead of night on Christmas Eve, after a couple years it ends up tanking the whole healthcare cost structure as we know it and forces insurers to leave the program, but it's the Republicans that are expected to drop everything and fix it for them. This would be funny if it wasn't so sad because it has real human consequences. Democrats should be ashamed of themselves, but of course they will never be.