Obamacare fails to decrease premiums

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Zombie Acorn, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
  2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Gee whiz, a corporatist program designed by corporatists has negative effects on actual human beings....who would have thought? :rolleyes:

The ACA was nothing more than the Heritage Foundation's plan from the 90's to keep Americans from having a functional healthcare system for another decade.

Also, what exactly is a non-group policy?

3. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Corporations usually offer group programs where they lump everyone together, if you were self employed you would buy your own policy, arguably the people who need the help most just got ****ed.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

In before the calls of "pics or it didn't happen!" :rolleyes:

I call this bung.

My wife's policy is a non-group policy. Not only has her premiums gone down, she can no longer be denied for her pre-existing condition; something she was never able to get health insurance for since the week she was born.

Her story was already posted in the various ACA threads in this forum.

BL.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So you're just laying out another reason why this country is so ****ed up. Who on earth can argue that tying health insurance to your employer, meaning losing your job also means the same for your healthcare, is sane?

I'm becoming more convinced by the day that this country's power structures, corporations, aren't just merely greed driven but just plain cruel to the rest of us.

It should be noted, however, that the author of this article has been questioned multiple times about his pieces on the ACA being...skewed.

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Just another stepping stone to UHC. Hopefully, President Clinton will amend the ACA with a public option after 2016.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ha.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHA.

You're joking right? That corporatist served on the board of Walmart while they were setting up the systemic dismantling of the middle class and never saw a weapons program she didn't love. She's not going to **** but make sure the economy works for the rich and continue perpetual war.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Clinton? great, another 8 years of war.

9. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Wasn't the original reason why health insurance was tied to a job because of the wage freezes where employers weren't allowed to pay people more so offered perks such as health coverage instead to attract good employees?

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How high are the deductibles?

12. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Our group just got the renewal and it's up 7% Not much different than past years.

13. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Where I work, the overall insurance premium went up 41% for 2015, so the plans were substantially restructured. I ended up saving a little money on the employee portion of the premium, but only because we went from a $250 deductible to a $2000 one. We also have an alternate with a lower deductible too if you like compulsory annual physicals and drug testing (if you fail to follow what doctor tells you to do at physical, your deductible goes to $3000 on that plan!).

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How is a $2000 deductible better than $250? Where is the savings there?

15. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

The premium is lower, plus you're eligible for an HSA.

I'm not saying anything about this is "better" though. I live in a blue part of a blue state though so to the extent it's caused anguish to my coworkers, most of them basically voted for something like this, so whatev.

----------

The overall premium (for all employees across the company) for our existing plan was going to go up 41% - so we restructured to keep costs closer to the same. We're not paying 41% more AND getting the crappier plan thankfully!

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

A lower premium means crap if you still get sick and have to pay out of pocket. Why bother with insurance at that point.

17. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Almost.

http://www.wisegeek.com/why-is-health-insurance-tied-to-employment-in-the-us.htm

"Health insurance tied to employment was not always the case in the United States. During World War II, however, labor laws restricted how much businesses could pay their workers. To recruit top talent, an employer would offer health insurance as an employee benefit. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) also ruled that group insurance premiums were not taxable, making the offer of employee-sponsored medical insurance even more enticing to workers."

18. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I don't know what we're going to do with the health insurance issue in this country. It's not sustainable as it is now, and I don't think this current generation of politicians can fix it. They're all tainted.

19. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Good point. If you add the higher deductible into the monthly premium, the rates are substantially higher. Prescriptions are subject to deductibles also, so most people wind up paying.

20. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I have no issue with authors voicing their political opinions and Forbes magazine has consistently been very critical of the ACA propagating many outlandish predictions for the sole purpose of scaring and misleading voters during an election cycle.

Fortunately, history will be the true judge of the ACA and if many of these dire predictions being trumpeted by Forbes magazine turn out to be false, it's credibility as a financial magazine will be tarnished.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Forbes entire premise is flawed....

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Enrollment is right around the corner. I'm going to do a comparison between The ACA and my corporate plan.

23. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I don't think anyone is really surprised by this news.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The first obvious observation is that Obama's prediction was "by the end of his term" and not two years before then.

The second observation is that the first year's result indicates that the policy requires some adjustment.

In any sane world, the legislature would amend the law to correct these increases in individual insurance premiums.

25. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick