Obamacare Repeal - You know what they say, 62nd time's a charm

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Jan 7, 2016.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Looks like Obamacare is renewed for another season.

We should lobby in the feedback forum to create a new board just for Obamacare repeals.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

John Boehner - Watch us govern now with control of both houses.
    Paul Ryan - Watch us govern now with control of both houses.

Fact, Republicans can't govern.

3. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

AKA: Government is bad. Elect us and we'll prove it.

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Ya know what would be nice, if someone would come up with a plan (A bill that they actually know what's in it before they jam it down peoples throats) that has the patients best interests at heart. I wouldn't even let the insurance lobby come to the table. Come up with an alternative and then talk to the american people not in hypothetical, but real problems and real solutions. I say this as someone who works in healthcare. Personally I'd like the US to adopt a Swiss style system but the insurance industry would never let that happen.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

6. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

You would think it's getting cramped up over this one lol.

7. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

They passed a law. How is that not "governing?" Are they governing only when Obama signs laws they pass?

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Give me a ****ing break. These were nothing more than political votes and you know it. A veto is certain and an override is not possible. Complete waste of time and money.

9. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

For once the GOP is doing what the voters want? Well aways a time for the first time

10. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Huh?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2016 ---
    Oh no, politics is affecting how politicians vote!!

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Try and spin it but the fact is, this was done as a pure political stunt as they know the bill has zero chance of being signed by Obama. That's not governing.

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

When congress (I don't care what party) sends a bill to the President (party is irrelevant) that they know will get vetoed and they know they don't have the votes to over-ride the veto, I'd call that a political stunt and not "governing".

13. mgguy, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016

mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I disagree. Politics is governing in the since that it can change voting patterns and hence longer-term outcomes.

Democrats are also known to help pass laws they know will be vetoed. For example, the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act that Congress passed and sent to GW Bush. They did this twice, first in 2005 and 2007. Bush vetoed both times; first override attempt failed and second attempt was not even made.

14. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

they have pretty much done nothing for the last several years. well nothing that helps the voters anyway.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It's a waste of time and energy especially when tried more than a couple of times to repeal, something the GOP is renowned for, especially because they have more important things they need to accomplish. No secret I'm disgusted by them.

16. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I believe this is the first time both houses of Congress passed the bill and moved it to Obama. Obama has never actually vetoed UHC repeal.

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The 62 attempt, is that reasonable? They need to get over it and move on. This is not how adults in leadership positions are supposed to act, including lying their asses off to push their agenda.

18. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Obama lied his ass off to get Obamacare passed.

19. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

You're feeding the troll :)

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Well that and the manner in which it was passed was less than standard, I'll grant you that. But the GOP (as someone who leans right on economic issues) has to propose an alternative better than what we had before.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'll compare relative truthfulness between the the two parties any day, just not in this thread. ;)

Seriously, with all the things the GOP could do, you think this should be at the top of the GOP to-do list? If so, you are part of the problem. :p

In other words, not verbal deflection, but a serious proposal. All they can bring themselves to do is say NO, NO, and NOOOOOOOO. They have no plans, not because they are not smart enough, it's because they are pushing hard for yesterday. That is the plan.

22. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

In fairness, lying your ass off to get your signature piece of legislation (a monstrosity no one read and a potential 3rd entitlement program....ie...political 3rd rail) through even when it wasn't wildly popular to begin with is ******** and I don't care what party you belong to. Locking the other party out by changing locks (no joke) is not how our government should operate.

23. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The dems gave away the public option which made the ACA sorta pointless and a generous giveaway.

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Who would you choose, or knock it all down and start from scratch? More importantly who would you pick to start over? (Not asking for names, but philosophy.)

25. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

If your capable of contributing anything of substance, please do.:)