Obamacare replacement plan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by moonman239, Apr 1, 2016.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Healthcare becomes basically just another debt. Except you must be allowed at least 4 months after the hospital/clinic visit before the bill becomes due. If you are unable to meet the deadline, however, you can sign up for a loan that collects just enough interest to cover the cost of running the loan office, with the understanding that a financial penalty will be administered if the debt exceeds a certain amount. If the debt and penalty are not paid in full in 6 years, a lien will be placed on any and all properties you own, and you may be imprisoned for 1 year.

2. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So what happens when someone needs a heart bypass which costs $100,000 and they have no assets and earn $20,000 a year?

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

They go broke under either system, but under moonman's they get to go to jail too. Fun for everyone

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Then the government pays more than that to keep you locked up in debtors prison.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I think Trump is right on this one, letting people die in the streets is a poor reflection on society.

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Um, costs were already spiraling out of control long before Romneycare was moved to a national level.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...eycare-and-obamacare-can-you-tell-difference/

Romney finally admitted it was his (only after 5 years of claiming to hate it and wanting to take it down, most of us trying to deliberately lie like that wouldn't be very well received): http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...ly-admits-that-obamacare-came-from-romneycare (Whether he lied or is jealous that Obama got to put it there first... who cares. )

Wish more people would consider single-payer. With all the bureaucratic red tape (even before Romneycare), the cost savings would be huge. And for-profit businesses that keep ratcheting up their prices to always produce a profit, when most businesses have the occasional bum quarter, are doing more to fleece this country than the people on it.

Besides, for-profit is just a business doing the same service as government. Only more of them exist (until buyouts and mergers take place) and the definition of for-profit is to make as much money as possible, and anyone who has paid attention knows for-profit and ethics no longer get along in the old new normal economy...
    --- Post Merged, Apr 2, 2016 ---
    Thatcher once said there is no such thing as society. Her, Reagan, Ayn Rand, and all the other despots that got off on fleecing everyone else would loved to have seen it. But thankfully we have security cameras everywhere now, especially in the private sector - see, it's okay for them to do all the surveillance they want (with cameras or your smartphones or anything else). Hypothesis: They want this country to become a plutocratic oligarchy that they want to control. Do you want that? Why or why not?

8. Robisan macrumors 6502

Was going to make the same comments as others (Taxpayer funded debtor's prison for cancer victims? Awesome idea! :rolleyes:) but I decided the OP couldn't be serious. Kind of a weird, sick April Fools joke though...

9. chown33 macrumors 604

Where the state is obligated to pay for medical treatment. Win, win.

10. bigchrisfgb, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016

bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

Your USA healthcare system is a joke, honestly. You have people who on one hand refuse to let others have abortions because everyone has a right to live, but vote for a system where people are denied life saving medical treatment because of their wealth.

As a result you have a healthcare system that is reliant on insurance payouts which can fleece people for extortionate coverage fee's with the right to omit existing conditions and have many loopholes and levels of coverage. As a result this has a knock on effect for the hospitals and pharmaceutical companies which then charge higher premiums because they need to cover their costs for cases where insurance companies refuse to pay out and because when they do they can charge them what they wish. In the end those who can't afford complete coverage or coverage at all are then vulnerable to inflated prices.

11. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Since we don't actually vote for any particular healthcare system, your premise is flawed to begin with.

The reason costs are so high here is based on federal regulation and liability costs.

Many things could be made less expensive, but not until the government gets out of the healthcare business, and people cannot sue for punitive damages.

12. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

The public don't get a direct vote but they have voted for or not voted for leaders on this principle.

13. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

That is a horrible plan. At least with the ACA I am only getting fiscally raped.

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Was the cost of healthcare going down before Obamacare?

15. mildocjr macrumors 65816

It's like this, companies with Cadillac healthcare plans are screwed, and so are the workers who were actually able to afford healthcare before obama(don't)care was put in place. These companies now have to either remove their cadillac health care plan (e.g. $20 a week with $400 deductible) to something more like $80 a week with a $5000 deductible, or the employer will have to pay a fine. If you don't have health insurance you are fined by the government, last I heard it was $3k but I could be wrong, and if you have partial coverage throughout the year you get fined ~$170. So depending on where you were, the cost of healthcare was lower before this plan came into action, unless you were completely broke. Even then most medical bills are cheaper when you have to pay out of pocket than through insurance. They just charge more if you have insurance so they get more money.

16. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

No, but for me, it shot up 7K a year for the premiums on March 1st 2014.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Do what I did, and sell a kidney. You only need one, and if things go wrong, you have the healthcare to fix it.

18. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

I was planning to sell my heart. Since I am a registered republican, according to the progressives, I have no heart. From current medical tests I do have one. Since I don't need it, its up for bids.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Contrary to popular belief, Republicans do have a heart.

...it's just shriveled, black, and cold, like the Grinch's before he discovered Christmas.

20. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

The grinch's heart was not black and cold it was just three sizes too small.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

You obviously haven't read the expanded edition.

22. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

OK, I can see my plan isn't getting the best reception. Let me explain myself a bit: I believe that everyone should be responsible for their own healthcare. My problem with the ACA and single-payer healthcare is that they are both forcing someone else to pay for healthcare they may or may not want to pay for.

I am willing to tweak my plan, however. How about this: Loan penalties and deadlines will be calculated based on your current income, with the possible assumption that at some point you will accrue enough income to begin or increase repayment of the loan(s). Failure to meet the established deadline will result in a lien on your properties. Failure to meet the deadlines on two or more loans may render you unable to take out any future healthcare loans until the current ones have been paid off. Additionally, any outstanding debt may be subtracted from federal tax returns or assistance money.

23. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

You need to get insurance out of health services as much as possible, and then you need price transparency. There's no reason for a ****ing regular checkup to be billed $300-500 to your insurance company for 10-15 minutes of a doctor's time. Pay cash and it's $50. If you need surgery, then you worry about insurance covering it.

People with no assets already get charity care and every state has programs so they rarely pay anything out of pocket. We need to help the middle class the most. The cost of actual health services must go down. For example, there's no reason for a ****ing CT scan to cost $15,000 when you could go to another location nearby and get it for $500 (ask me how I know).

You can't predict emergency situations (which require expensive, emergency surgery), but you can have a competitive marketplace for routine procedures and checkups. Prices would drop dramatically and you would only use insurance for things that REALLY matter.

24. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

I see, keep the insurance co.s from driving up healthcare costs to unreasonable levels.
    I see you mentioned charity care - here's an idea: Let's set up non-profit hospitals where doctors are paid good money. The hospitals are almost - if not 100% - completely dependent on donations and use of services. Costs will inevitably be lower, so for-profit hospitals may be forced to offer competitive healthcare.