Obamacare shared responsibility penalty

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by moonman239, Feb 10, 2015.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I really don't see a good reason to have the penalty. People should have a choice: buy an ACA plan or keep whatever plan they have. The penalty makes about as much sense to me as does fining anyone who chooses not to shop at WalMart.

2. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

because not having it means a burden on tax payers because most of those people not covered unless they are rich go to the emergency room for regular care and then the tax paper foots the bill.

3. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

It shouldn't. What we need is a healthcare system wherein hospitals can go after patients for nonpayment or underpayment of medical bills.

4. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

so the poor should just die? they can't afford to go to the doctor so they go to the emergency room because they have to be treated enough so they can walk out. and if they go to collections they end up filing bankruptcy.
    thats the whole idea of getting everyone insurance it actually will save money. this is why wiser countries have government medical where everyone is covered.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Reap what you sow. It's a heavy tax burden on the poor.

----------

The poor can't afford the premiums

6. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

not always no but they are far lower then they used to be. the poorest states don't have obomacare and they really suck up the tax money. but hey the poor don't need medical care. just ask an GOP congressmen.

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    They already could. Still didn't matter, because a lot of them couldn't pay anyway.

8. kds1 Suspended

kds1

If you can't afford the premiums, you can probably qualify for Medicaid, which is now enrolled through the State Health Exchanges.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's not just one thing. Bits of the entire process have issues, and most of the time it's not even possible to know what how much you will be billed with general outpatient care.

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Medicaid is not easy to get on by any means. You to damn near be completely impoverished in Utah.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Have you only started paying attention to the US healthcare issues this week? Medical bills are the number one cause of bankruptcies in the US.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100840148#.

12. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

No. Just no. Absolutely not. As a matter of fact, that practice should be banned too!

----------

That's seriously how this thread comes off when you read it. Someone just had a real world awakening.

13. VulchR, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

You've obviously never been pursued by a hospital for bills. Both I and my father have in the past. The bills were fraudulent, and in my case the hospital tracked me all the way to the UK to try to make me pay for something that was never provided. They only backed off when I threatened to go to the consumer protection agency in their area. In my father's case, the hospital threatened legal action, and then my father lost patience with their ******** and successfully sued them. Mind you, even though that bill was clearly fraudulent (based on providing a service from a machine that was documented as inoperative at the time), and even though the attempted fraud was for thousands of dollars, nobody from the hospital or their billing service were prosecuted for fraud... because, you know, they're medical. It's almost as good of an excuse for criminality as being a banker or a broker.

14. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

That's probably because Utah chose not to expand it under the ACA. Here in NJ, and NY as well, anyone making a fast food employee wage qualifies now. I think the threshold is 15k for an individual.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

That's probably true. I believe the state is supposed to revisit the issue as part of the 2015 legislative agenda. As it stands there is little relief for working class families when it comes to health care.

Medicaid expansion would be a immense help.

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Or hospitals could charge a fair price for medical treatment. I don't see why a bottle of Tylenol costs only $10 over the counter, whereas it cost $100 a pill at the hospital. The room cost for staying at the hospital is around $3000 a day or so?

Surgery cost $$$ and it should. But medicine and a room? Price gouging at its finest.

17. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fair enough, yes. I don't want to come off as insensitive, but I would rather that the government keep a better distance from my wallet. If you want to pay a homeless person's medical bill and/or establish a charity, that's great. All I'm asking for is the freedom to choose whether or not to help bear the cost of a poor person's healthcare.

18. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

That's not how a society works. Everybody deserves an equal chance.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What other areas of our society would you like to not pay for?

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

with these "premiums", you just might end up broke

same co-pays
    current plan out of pocket max 3500 individual 7000 family.

ACA plan out of pocket max 6350 individual 12700 family.

current plan on the left, ACA plan on the right.
    [​IMG]

----------

WAR for one.

21. kds1, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015

kds1 Suspended

kds1

Yes, well it would all be very nice and well if war didn't happen and didn't need to happen, but that's not the reality of the world we live in. And you can count me as someone who believes in a strong military and national defense and does not approve of cutting defense budgets without careful scrutinization of what you are cutting and why. I really believe that our military should have only the best, in terms of technology and equipment, and, for example, I am looking forward to the new Ford Class aircraft carriers that are coming down the line.

22. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

well should others decide if you get to drive on the roads their taxers paid for? this could be endless really You need to live like one of those anti government survivalists if you want to just be isolated from the life of others.

23. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Isn't this supposed to be a direction conservatives are supposed to love- making people fiscally responsible? Reducing emergency room freebies, should make conservatives cheer, except then they have to credit Obama. Can't have that, Oh NO. ;)

24. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Ummm, we live in this thing called Society, and there is this thing called the Social Compact. Ever heard of it?

25. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I wouldn't mind if my tax dollars went to help someone less fortunate. It would be nice if I we could choose where our tax dollars pay for but we can't. I would want all my taxes going into infrastructure and education. The last place I want it spent on is war and lining the pockets of corrupt politicians and their cronies.