Obamacare: Who is Worried About Adding All Those Uninsured To The System?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, May 11, 2011.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Guess what, you are all ready paying for them! This is one of the smoke screens that conservative critics have thrown at Obamacare, except they, the uninsured, are all ready in the system. Wouldn't it make sense to get some money from them and get them into the preventative mode?

USA Today: Up to $49B in Uninsured Hospitalizations.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) The sheeple don't know they are already paying for them. This is why the right can spin this issue so well.
    2) Unfortunately, in the U.S., we are reactive, not proactive.

3. wpotere Guest

Yep, we are! I pay them every pay check when pay my premium.

I've used the German system (Emergency room visit). I was in and out within 45 min with x-rays, stitches and drugs. It would have been an all night event here. Why? Because with everyone getting healthcare, there is no need to flood the emergency room to get free treatment!

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

That and I'll bet Germans know the definition of "emergency."

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I find it somewhat funny when the democrats are calling the rupublicans sheeple meanwhile advocating corporate welfare by forcing every American to pay for a privatized product, an industry well known for gouging and burning their customers at every turn possible. For shame.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

We've chosen to be the world-dominating military force instead of providing universal healthcare, when we're already part of the world-dominating alliance, NATO.

Isn't it comforting to be so safe and protected? ;)

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

the GOP tends to want to block preventive medication that lowers the cost compared to ER.
    Something that they tried to kill that I heard on NPR was the results from a study on seniors that showed after any time they went to a Hospitable ER they would have a nurse practitioner go visit them like once a week for the next few months and check on their health.

It was found on the long run this was cheaper than having them come back to the ER because it dropped the return rate so much. On top of that those that did return end up having to spend less time there because they were in better health so again more cost savings. It was something like it cost average 5k per senior for the nurse and any that returned but the average cost for the ones with out it when you factor in the return it was like 10k-20k average cost to Medicare. Tell me which one is a better deal
    Of course people and GOP will scream how much that cost but leave out the savings part of not having to pay for the ER which we come out ahead.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) I have no political affiliation
    2) I called the populace "sheeple"
    3) I think we should abolish corporate healthcare insurance and have a single payer system. If basic healthcare is a right, then it is the responsibility for the government to provide it.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That is because GOP more or less force them to do that and not allow a single payer system.

10. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Apparently we must crawl before we can walk. We tried to do single payer and our legislators wouldn't have it.

I personally find a system where all people are insured (and thus don't put off care, compounding their eventual costs exponentially) and no one can be denied coverage preferable to the previous, UHC or no.

11. /user/me macrumors 6502

What about all the healthcare professionals such as myself who are all of a sudden going to be making slightly better than minimum wage because of obamacare?

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Care to expand on this?

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You will still be making a boatload more than minimal wage. Don't be so dramatic.

14. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Maybe if all of you healthcare professionals ran your business with some ethics (charging 20 bucks for an aspirin, etc), we wouldn't have to have the government regulate the insurance companies and doctors....

15. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

And this is the ignorance of the sheeple.

The charge is so high because the reimbursed rate is so low. Also, thet inflated asprin price offsets the cost of providing care to those who are not covered and cannot pay their bills. You don't get it...you ARE already paying for the uninsured, the illegal aliens, underreimbursed services, etc.

It's not lack of ethics on part of the healthcare professionals, it is the economics of medicine.

16. /user/me macrumors 6502

Canada and Germany, both countries with national healthcare have monthly salary averages for nurses that average around 2200 dollars a month. Working 40 hours a week, that boils down to about 13.75. After taxes. For some comparison, my college job at dq paid me 10.25. So sorry, it's about twice what minimum wage is.

http://www.worldsalaries.org/professionalnurse.shtml

you don't know what you're talking about. see the link above.

That's a lot less widespread than you'd think. It's definitely a problem with private practice, but in a hospital setting, such as where I am, there's no room for error regarding billing mistakes. If there's fraud, the whole hospital could lose it's accreditation, leading to the hospital basically being worthless because no patient care can be performed at the site.

17. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) 6 year old data that is not corrected for cost of living in those countries. Also, those salaries don't take inot account the fact nothing additional is take out for health insurance premiums, and other benefits are not listed.
    2) You are ignornat about pricing in your hospital. It is hospitals that have the upcharge to cost shift, not private physician offices. Go to your pharmacy and billing department and ask them the patient charge for a 325 mg. aspirin.
    3) Do you really think, that under a single payer system, nursing salaries will go down? If so you are delusional.

18. /user/me, May 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2011

/user/me macrumors 6502

1]. you are correct, but I was using data from when I was in college, hence only making 3.50 more per hour.
    2]. No not really. When you go buy that one prescribed aspirin that charges maybe .30 per pill, you're paying for the knowledge, time, and experience of EVERYONE in the chain of production from the dude in the factory to the doctor, to you the final consumer. The cost goes up as goods move from person to person. That's simple economics.
    3]. Yes I do, because that's what's happened in every single country that has adopted national healthcare.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

tell me how does this hurt you.
    It takes strain off the ER which the uninsured often go to where it cost more money and on top of that most of it goes uncollected so that cost is passed on to those 12% plus the insurance who have to pay for and it raise the cost for everyone.

Instead we would have these people going to the doctor earlier on and getting the problem fix before it gets out of hand. This means the GP gets more money because oh look more people are going and it is a quick and easy fix. Hostitals no longer have an ER that is crowded, and do have to deal with as many cases that could of been solved cheaper with the earlier care. Also means fewer unpaid bills that fall back to the tax payers and do insurance company do not have to deal with having to pay for them as well in the form of high cost pasted on to them.

I see it as a win win over all.

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I don't think its an error or fraud. I think hospitals have been making up ridiculous prices for goods and services for years and its coming back to bite those who run the hospitals on their butts. I remember reading about the history of insurance companies years ago and the reasons why you have to deal with them in the first place is because doctors and hospitals would just charge outrageous prices for healthcare. What were people gonna do? Not get health care? They had to pay. but then insurance companies came along and pretty much acted like unions did for workers. They allowed collective bargaining so to speak when it came to what doctors could charge and lowered the outrageous charges the healthcare providers were asking for. I'll try to find a link when work slows down...

21. IntelliUser, May 11, 2011

IntelliUser macrumors 6502

"Doctors make 5x more than the average patient. In other countries, this is approximately 3x more."
    [​IMG]

22. mcrain, May 11, 2011

mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

23. /user/me macrumors 6502

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

25. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

What currently happens when an uninsured person is diagnosed with a life threatening but curable ailment?