Obama's 2012 Budget

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Feb 14, 2011.

1. mcrain, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011

mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

President Obama announced his proposed 2012 budget. There's a ton about this online, and I've barely even skimmed the surface, but here's a good a place to start.

This has a fascinating infographic:

NYT 2012 Budget
    (edit) Oops, this was supposed to be the link that Fivepoint posted down at Post. # 13. Thanks FP.

This is a massive topic that can easily get bogged down in the details, so, let's have some fun! :D

I'll start: Over lunch I was listening to talk radio, and President Obama was being blamed for not cutting the 1.6 trillion dollar deficit in half. Last time I checked, didn't the Republicans insist on the 800 billion dollar tax cuts for the wealthy?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

No one has the cojones of a true statesman to cut entitlements for the baby boomers, raise the retirement age, and increase tax revenues. Unless a bipartisan panel can get together to spread the political fallout, don't expect significant change. Washington thinks Americans can't handle the hard truth.

3. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Well, maybe one person.
    Obama's budget is a JOKE. The Republican solution will be slightly less of a joke, but still... a joke.

It seems like we will only massively reduce spending when we have no more money to spend. Only when our creditors stop buying our debt.
    When it happens, we'll wonder why we didn't listen to the few among us who've been ringing this warning bell for decades!

4. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

I think there are a bunch of responsible elected officials on the right who would govern responsibly if they could get the talk-radio, radical extremists to let them. I also think there are a lot of responsible elected officials on the left who would govern responsibly if they could get the unions and radical extremists to let them.

President Obama called for a bi-partisan panel to try to come up with some tough choices. Has a single Republican stood up in support of tax increases? The president abandoned real health care reform for the republican proposals from 1993, and he got zero support. There are lots of cuts in this proposed budget that Democrats won't like, but I will be shocked if the Republicans support it.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

$100 Billion cut in Pell Grants, but a budget of $107 Billion for the war in Afghanistan this year. Nice. :rolleyes:

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

pssh who needs to go to college right lol

7. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Ok, really, how can you take a party seriously when the news is:

As expected? Really, no need to wait to see if they will "read the bill" or actually analyze it, the outcome is predetermined. Anything President Obama proposes is expected to be opposed now. Grand 'ol Party?

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Bunch of bs. The Bush tax cuts are assumed to be sunset in there. Therefore, he didn't cut ****.

9. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Actually, the opposite is true. The Bush era tax cut savings are NOT included, so if they are not extended again, there will be larger savings.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Looking for what I read earlier. It said the Obama tax cuts are assumed to be sunset in 2 years. You know that will never happen with Reps in control of the house. Obama doesn't have the spine or political capital to veto it.

11. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

You really don't know how Washington works, do you? We knew the basics of the bill long before it was ever released. Read it if you want to, but regardless of how much lipstick you put on the pig...

12. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

From the Reuter's article
    I may be just misunderstanding what you were saying. My bad if so.

I agree the tax cuts need to not only expire, but the marginal tax rates need to be increased, and new marginal rates need to be created for the highest earners.

13. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

14. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Looks like Teach for America might be threatened, concerning to both my gf and tons of underprivileged kids around the country.