Obama's Afghan Plan: About 40K More Troops

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Nov 9, 2009.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Well, if this is true, I'm not happy. It's his war now.

Link

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sigh- I just don't know anymore. I have always been for the Afghanistan effort, but now it seems like a better strategy would be to try to partner with Pakistan to help them secure their borders with Afghanistan. This is so sad to me. That the Taliban will most likely take over again really upsets the hell out of me. I hate to see that happen. But at this point, I don't know what other option there is. I overheard a soldier at my gym talking about the same thing.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Well at least the dems can't say the repubs are the only ones for war mongering/policing the world. We can't even get half of our own **** straight in this country, yet we decide we know better for others. :rolleyes:

4. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Update

(CBS) Editor's note, 9:57 p.m. EDT: The White House has issued the following response to this story, attributed to White House National Security Advisor James Jones:

"Reports that President Obama has made a decision about Afghanistan are absolutely false. He has not received final options for his consideration, he has not reviewed those options with his national security team, and he has not made any decisions about resources. Any reports to the contrary are completely untrue and come from uninformed sources."

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

as long as Karzai etc. still run the country into their pockets it's not going to work.. also the tolerating of drug smuggeling has to stop and the US and Afghanistan has now to work together with neighbouring countries to control all it's border to stabilze the country

the time where more troops would have been a solution was right at the beginning of the conflict ... back should the US have moved in fully focused but isntead they got sidetracked with another middle east adventure which simply took away all the resources the afghanistan scene needed

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You're right, Karzai and his gang are there only to milk all they can from the country. His only goal in life is to die a billionaire.

I honestly don't know what will help Afghanistan the most. Sometimes I think the American presence only makes everything worse. But, as long as funds are being given to islamists to wage war on the infidel...

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

8. Shivetya macrumors 65816

I really hope were are not back in the era of "floating trial balloons" ... in other words, gauging public opinion before making policy decisions

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

In this case, I hope we are. Bush certainly made a mess of things by not listening, didn't he?

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The President's job is doing what is best for the country not what the people of the country think is best. We don't know nearly what the president does so how can public opinion really help matters. We can't have a "American Idol" run system to tell the president what to do. Just because the public doesn't like something doesn't mean it is the right chose.

11. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Actually it was "his" war on January 20 last. So far he's loosing it.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The President's job is not to be an idiot and drag us into illegal wars. The government is "by the people, for the people". We don't elect kings, we elect Presidents. And we do have an "American Idol" run system. It's called elections. To a certain extent, the President does have to consider public opinion, or he gets the boot.

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

McClatchy is reporting that plans have been finalised:

Reports elsewhere suggest the announcement on the 1st of December will be probably be a televised address to the nation.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

S***! Bad move. I was hoping we'd be backing out and shoring up Pakistan's borders instead. :(

15. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

It was "his war" in January; too bad he took four months to comply with his designated General's resource requirement.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Too bad you never have anything substantial to say. How about your opinion of the Afghanistan conflict? I've been very supportive of it from the beginning, but think that a different approach is needed now.

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Comply? The chain of command starts at the top. Note that McChrystal isn't getting exactly what he wants, nor does the Pentagon have to sell the strategy to Congress or allies and interested parties.

18. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Do you ever post anything factual?

Perhaps you forgot that Obama authorized 21,000 additional troops in March. This was after Bush refused to increase the troop count despite saying he would.

That said, I am disappointed in this decision. He better have an exit strategy. We can't keep pouring money into this black hole.

19. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Well, at least he can take solace in not being the only one... I hate the Bush back and forth that goes on here, but seriously, you can put this completely on Obama. Less than a year in control of an 8 year war that has been mismanaged from the beginning?

I want to hear more about this "exit strategy" before I form my final opinion of the matter.

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

From the same article:

Mind you, what they call an exit, is not what you might call an exit:

21. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Comply? Seriously?

Hypothetical for you:

What would be your reaction if Obama decided to order a withdrawal from Afghanistan?

What would be your reaction if McChrystal stated that he thought the US should withdraw, but Obama wanted to stay in?

On a more serious note. He's going to have to go pretty "big" in how he explains this further explanation to the polity.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Did we ever leave the era of "floating trial balloons"? :confused:

Wow... you honestly think the POTUS has a requirement to take orders from his generals? That's simply astounding. Do you long for a military dictatorship? Unclear what the chain of command is in the USA?

This level of ignorance about basic American tenets is truly frightening...

23. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

A "requirement" for orders? No. But...

Since Barack selected General McCrystal to head up the Afghanistan theater of operations and be his military advisor, I would think - yes - that the General's opinion would carry some weight in his decision; more so than say his EPA Cabinet choice. But since Barack has absolutely no military experience, if he ignored the General in this decision we citizens would have to ask who's advising him?

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, that's not what you wrote. But we'll chalk that one up to poor writing, rather than poor thinking.

And Obama would have every right to tell you to go **** yourself when you asked who's advising him.

25. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm guessing it's ACORN.