Obamas APPROVAL rating hit 58%, almost TRIPLE that of George Bush, the FAILING republican party

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macmee, Jan 15, 2017.

1. macmee Suspended

macmee

http://www.gallup.com/poll/116677/p...ings-gallup-historical-statistics-trends.aspx

Obama is now at 58%

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bushs-final-approval-rating-22-percent/

Bush ended his term at 22%

Whilst I have my own issues with Obama, I wanted to discuss how his approval rating may very well hit 60% by the time his second term is up. This is almost 3x of what George Bush had when he was leaving office.

Obama is an incredibly popular president and will certainly be remembered for a long time, and has achieved a high approval rating that donald trump can only dream.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Obama is a likeable person and gives good speeches, so I don't find this surprising. I don't think we will have another president that can deliver speeches as well as Obama for a while.

If he pardons snowden before getting out I'd upgrade him from "meh" to "decent"

3. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I don't care about approval ratings personally.

It's not like it's a great measure of presidential effectiveness.

Barack Obama is very likeable.

Barack Obama is not very effective.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Obama reads a TelePrompTer better than Aaron Rodgers throws passes into coverage.

5. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

[​IMG]

6. zin Suspended

Very likeable person. But a very likeable president? Far from it.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I think it's better for all that Trump stays on the Prompter while being POTUS. I think he has some good ideas, but he rolls the dice too much when talking off the cuff. He needs to reel it in.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

He can't do it. Trump is hard-wired to utter what thoughts are rolling around in his head. He has no filter between brain and mouth. None whatsoever.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

Trump will talk about tv ratings vs approval ratings. Because he has a warped sense of popularity.

10. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

I would have a much better opinion of Obama if he pardoned snowden, it would be awesome.

Yeah I think this is accurate. People used to say they hated bushes policies but could see themselves sharing a beer with him. I kind of think that way about Obama too.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 15, 2017 ---
    Did you see my post which clearly shows that trump uses scripts / teleprompters?

11. samcraig macrumors P6

He does. But he goes off book a lot. And you know when he's doing it because he's like an unsure comedian at a club. He tries out new material and then waits for the response - if there isn't much of one, he moves on - but if he gets a response he starts "beating the drum" - it was very noticeable during the campaign

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Have you ever actually watched a Trump speech? If you had you wouldn't suggest that he actually uses whatever teleprompter happens to be on the podium.

13. VulchR, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Perhaps he would have been more effective had the Republican Congress not acted like a bunch of infants throwing their toys out of their pram. In the same way, no doubt the Democrats will try to thwart Trump at every turn (although they must be tempted to let him have his way as a reductio ad absurdum).

14. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

Yes I have watched his speeches before, usually they follow along the lines of:

1. I am the greatest
    2. Obama is bad man
    3. I am the greatest
    4. Muslims are bad
    5. China is bad
    6. Mexico is bad
    7. I am the greatest
    8. Something sexist
    9. repeat

Yeah he is verrrry good at reading a room / crowd, isn't he?

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

IMG_0136.JPG This is Murika. Where most people have no clue what the president actually does. If USB was a war criminal then so was Obama

16. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

^^ this. his approval rating is because he's our first not fully white President, speaks well with a teleprompter and is clean-cut professional, polished and politically correct. Otherwise, if the policies in place were all the rage, Trump would have gone down in flames.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

How effective could he be when Republicans were dead-set against working with him on anything?

Please see the thread, Republicans did not support Barrack Obama, for a rare and honest assessment by one of your fellow conservatives.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 15, 2017 ---
    It depends on whether he's riffing his stand-up campaign comedy routine, or trying to give a speech on actual policy matters.

One he can do off the top of his head.

The other ... not so much.

18. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I just want to see America keep getting better. Seems like so many would rather see Trump fail, thus America fail, than to see him and America succeed. Grow the economy, shrink the debt, end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, bring jobs back to America, maybe come up with a tax system that fits on a couple pages and not in several volumes of books...do some or all of those things and we all win. I don't care who does it or what their supposed approval rating is. Normally people would say I hate this person as President but I hope he does good for our country. But this time around it seems like they'd write off the loss to the US just to see him fail.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I hope he does well too ... but the writing is on the wall (pun intended) that won't be the case.

One of the primary reasons for voter dissatisfaction is stagnant wages, which have for decades remained flat while a smaller and smaller percentage of Americans have hoarded the wealth, due in large part to public policies that catered to rich.

If trump can change that trend, he'll be a hero in my book. But does anybody really believe he'll be the champion of the everyman and push policies that correct this wealth disparity?

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Don't point your only finger at President Obama, he had a tag team working from day 1 against him for the 8 years of his Administration.

Trump is coming into office with the lowest transition approval of any new Pesident ever measured.
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/201833/approval-trump-transition-low-inauguration-nears.aspx

21. dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

This is the scary part though. People actually voted for him on the empty promises he makes with no means to prove how he'd implement his talk with actions.

Is there as nasty a politician in elected office in DC right now as this country is about to promote him to? Think about it, your President is a racist, sexist, bigot and all those who voted for him were okay with that. It's terrifying.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Most just simply voted against Hillary and against the political status quo.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And the status quo is (at least partly) what I was referring to when it comes to wage stagnation. However, the voters put Republicans in power, the party that's least likely to address wealth disparity, and more likely to pursue policies that just make it worse. (See repealing the ACA)

24. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

[QUOTE="dogslobber, post: 24196877, member: 927249"

Is there as nasty a politician in elected office in DC right now as this country is about to promote him to? Think about it, your President is a racist, sexist, bigot and all those who voted for him were okay with that. It's terrifying.[/QUOTE]

What's more terrifying is that the democrats conspired to nominate Hillary and she couldn't beat a "racist, sexist, bigot." I don't mean to bring Hillary into this because she has nothing to do with anyone's approval rating. But think about that. If this guy is really as evil and awful as everyone says, what does it say about the other side?

Sorry I screwed up the quote

25. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

the republican party may have been failing but they snaked in on the coattails of the Trump/Kardashian tweet team and will destroy this country none the less.