Obama's "broadband stimulus"...what the heck was that about?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rasmasyean, Oct 17, 2010.

1. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

This will make you cry... :(

South Korea is already ahead of the global technological curve but it is looking to forge even further ahead by boosting broadband speeds across the nation.

It is not aiming at 100, 200 or even 500 megabits per second (Mbps). Instead it has devised a national plan for 1,000Mbps connections to be commonplace by 2012.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/9093991.stm

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

South Korea in total is about the size of Indiana, with almost a third of its population living in cities... which makes it far easier to implement these programmes. Besides, they're probably not crippled by a national aversion to infrastructure spending like the US, under the crazy ideological assumption that government has no role to play in wealth creation.

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie cancels tunnel

American Society of Civil Engineers rate America's Infrastructure as a 'D'.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Headline speed is not everything. The majority of servers will not provide enough bandwidth to fully utilise the full connection. In the future, it could be beneficial.

As Blue Velvet says South Korea is relatively small. Rolling out an infrastructure such as this over a nation such as America would have an astronomical cost.

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I think they're still in the process of announcing the grant awards and the beginning of dozens of projects according to http://www.stimulatingbroadband.com/.

While South Korea has been deploying their program for years, the U.S. has been lagging behind mostly because we've refused to spend government dollars on infrastructure.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wait, you're telling me that Obama has been in office less than 2 years and we haven't yet gotten 1 gigabit per second fiber optic broadband to a farm in the middle of Montana??? :eek: Lying bastard!

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Starcraft 2 must really need some heavy bandwidth.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

1000Mbps seems to be excessive, whether its worth doing is reasonably debatable.

Giving everyone 10Mbps internet would be perfectly satisfactory IMO.

8. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

Yeah and 640k ought to be enough for anybody. ;)

9. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's because we're not Koreans. What you have to realize is that the "digital life" in Korea is at a much higher level than what we are use to. Starcraft aside...they use applications that are supposedly much more sophisticated than er...Facebook. :p

For example, a couple of years ago, Google was in the midst of liscensing "ActiveX"...I haven't followed up but that's normally only in Internet Explorerer. If any of you used it, it's often used for advanced web stuff like video conferencing, collaborative meetings, webcasting, etc. in our "business world". Anyways, Google felt they had to get it for Chrome to get any sort of penetration in Korean because everything from thier banks to government sites are firmly grounded in ActiveX technology.

So I guess you can say that "our present web" does not need such high bandwidth. But if a Korean moves here, he would prolly laugh at our dark ages digital life and wonder how we get by with such low bandwidth. ;)

I'm pretty sure it's not just "geography" etc. that is the motivation. Because it's well know that Americans are like the dumbest in the modern world and always lag behind math and science aptitude scores. Asians are leaders always iirc, e.g. Japanese too. So in America, our population demand for technology doesn't grow as fast because ppl just took a long to to learn how to use computers and smartphones and stuff and some ppl were prolly afraid of them so they say "I don't need anything besides my pen and paper!", etc. I mean, the world does think we're a bunch of hillbillies in a sense so... lol

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It's for Maple Story. Level up, anyone?

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

12. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I may be wrong, but I thought I recently saw some commercial for Comcast's new all-digital service they are rolling out, with speeds supposedly reaching 1,000mbps.

My memory may be incorrect though... I could not find any real numbers in the stupid comcast landing page.

13. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

The newest HSI tier ( High Speed Internet ) from Comcast is 105Mbps... But @ $250.00 install charge n $200.00 per month fee ... :eek:

105 Mbps linky <<< my source for the price #'s

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

They charge you $250 for the privilege of paying them $200 a month? That's highway robbery.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Cablevision does the same. I guess it's to discourage someone from getting it, downloading the whole Internet and canceling before the next monthly bill.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The reason other countries don't use Active X is that its only supported by Internet Explorer on Windows, which means Mac users and users of other browsers can't use it.

This kinda limits its effectiveness and isn't particularly forward thinking of the Koreans.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

1Gb/s is stupid high... besides Google is taking care of that already. However, if Obama wants a National Broadband plan, then something along 50Mb/s to 100Mb/s should be fine.

18. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yo, dude, Mac's are mostly used in USA. Most ppl arround the world don't use Macs. Some countries like iPhones, but Windows is almost like a "given". And almost like this in USA as well apart from "college campuses" perhaps. If you want to argue with them...heck, they would laugh at us for saying such remarks. It's like the Afghans telling the US that our weapons are not "forward thinking". :p

So in the US, ActiveX is mainly used in the business sector...where like almost everyone uses Windows (with IE)...so maybe you might not see it often if you're not in this area. That's one of the reasons why IE got such high penetration in corps. It's not really because they "bundled it" in some anti-trust move...that would affect consumers but corps are not that retarded that they don't know have to chose and deploy browsers. And hence "consumers" brought over the familiarity to the homes. Don't forget that at one point IE was like 90% market.