Obamas Cancel Traditional Photo-Opp with Trumps for Transition

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by applesith, Nov 10, 2016.

1. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Full article: http://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-obama-set-to-begin-transition-1478787730

So much for the orderly transition and taking the high road, Obamas.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

In other news - Trump and Obama did have a photo courtesy of your link. Has nothing to do with an orderly transition.

Did you read the article you linked? Both Trump and Obama, it sounds, had a great conversation.

3. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

Yes I read the article and saw the photo/video.

The Obamas cancelled the traditional photo of the current and incoming first families. The Bushes took it with the Obamas, but the Obamas refuse to take it with the Trumps.

Does the photo affect the transition, no. But it's petty actions like this that are frustrating when Obama made his speech yesterday saying it would be an orderly transition even though he didn't want Trump to win.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

That part of the report seems to be missing from the article. Although I do see other media quoting the WSJ. Perhaps it was removed from the site because it was untrue and/or it had nothing to do with anything other than perhaps timing and/or something else.

I don't see a reason to "pick a fight" about this. Photo ops are PR stunts anyway. I would rather they spend their time talking transition than posing for a camera.

5. theBostonian, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016

theBostonian Suspended

Obama may have nursed a sense of grievance against white people (according to analysis and some interpretations of his book "Dreams from my father"), who knew? I always assumed blacks were 100% just like whites, with the same interests fundamentally.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

7. theBostonian Suspended

Thanks, I like Obama even less now.

I see that it was Steven Sailer's analysis of the book which made him take away that Obama nursed a sense of grievance, not an actual quote that Obama had written. So while the image expresses a possible interpretation of the book, it does not offer a direct qoute.

I will withdraw the image I had posted since it is wrong.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Have you read the whole book? I haven't. I've never liked things out of context. I can see where you might not like the original text. It makes me curious to read more.

9. theBostonian Suspended

Unfortunately I would not be able to stomach it. I try to watch liberal pundits and shows like Bill Maher, Daily Show (I'm enjoying Trevor Noah's run so far) and Colbert Report but it's a stretch and requires a kind of zen state to get through to the end. I don't think I could read an entire book because I'm simply unhappy with Obama, I felt I was sold a lie when I voted for him and then due to apathy I decided not to vote in the 2012 election.

I am curious about him, but he seems like a charlatan. Especially now that we know a Citi bank donor essentially gave Obama a list of what his cabinet will look like. If Trump turns out to be a charlatan too I think I'll shave my hair, move to Nepal and become a monk.

This is a great reassuring sign from Trump, he's looking for people from the private sector to join his cabinet:

https://www.greatagain.gov/

10. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

If I were Obama, I wouldn't be shaking that human Cheeto hand. Trump promoted that birthed movement. Im surprised Obama didn't give him a piece of his mind when he saw him.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

....how are these not the exact same thing? Both men hiring out and out corporatists, but it's reassuring from Trump?

12. theBostonian Suspended

How do you know who Trump is going to select? There are 4,000 positions in his administration, he's going to be overwhelmed with applications. It's designed to put an end to cronyism in Washington.

They're not the exact same thing but I can kind of see why you would think they were.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

His transition team is a textbook example of cronyism. You understand that it's transition teams that fill these positions right? He's set up Christie and other well known corporate shills to continue the corporatist agenda both parties have been following for decades.

Donald Trump Recruits Corporate Lobbyists to Select His Future AdministrationLee Fang — Nov. 8Trump's final appeal is a transparently dishonest promise to break the control of Washington by political insiders.

14. theBostonian Suspended

Er, then why would he put up that website? It's only been a few days, I'm going to be tolerant and give him at least his first 100 days as a honey moon period. I did the same for Obama, it's only fair. You might try that sometime, being objective and impartial.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

because that was rhetoric. He can't drain the swamp. It was a good tag line - but it will be just another swamp.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

.....why would he put up that website? Why would the incoming administration engage in a PR campaign? Are you serious?

I'm not going to let faux objectivity make me overlook facts. The FACT is most of the high level decisions and appointments have been made. It's a corporate run administration just as the last was. Just as the one before it, and the one before it, and the one before it.

There is no "fair" when it comes to paying attention. There is only paying attention to what is going on.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So you'll get upset over something that doesn't affect an orderly transition, but then accuse Obama of being petty?

Pot. Please meet kettle. You both have so much in common.

18. theBostonian Suspended

Those are your respective opinions and you're entitled to them, doesn't mean you guys are oracles seeing into the future.

Everyone also said Trump wouldn't win yet here we are. I'm going to keep an open mind for now.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Odd, I can't seem to find your complaints of all the traditions your guy ignored during the election.

20. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

I'm not upset. I'm just calling attention to Obama's actions that are contradicting what he said yesterday. Cancelling the photo is petty.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm not, I'm looking at the present. He's surrounded himself with the very corporate class he was railing against.

If I give you a sandwich, are you going to wait 100 days to determine it's a sandwich (despite the fact that after 100 days it's going to be one gross sandwich)?

22. applesith thread starter macrumors 68030

applesith

Who's my guy? Trump? Where did I say that, and did you really look through all of my posts to see if I didn't post about him during the election?

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

There has been one source, who has been parroted by other news sources on this story. Who's to say DT didn't cancel the photo op? I haven't seen any real reporting on this yet (like it actually matters at all).

24. samcraig macrumors P6

Given that the statement was removed from the website - you can't say for certain why it was cancelled. What if it was because Trump was running late and said - let's skip it and just meet. Just one example. Would you then call Trump petty for not prioritizing the photo shoot?

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

HE might've asked Trump and Trump might've said no.
    Or it could've been Secret Service.
    Or obama had a meeting with an ambassador.

I would not read much into this sporadic news on supposed traditions.