Obama's disdain for Capitalism and Private Enterprise on full display?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fivepoint, Dec 2, 2009.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Slightly ironic that the people we've voted in, and the people they vetted to support them, to "create jobs" have virtually zero experience creating jobs themselves. They've all been living off of the taxpayer their entire careers... and have virtually no experience in the private sector where jobs/wealth are actually created.

[​IMG]

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

It is an interesting statistic. I would ask questions first, however, before jumping the biased conclusions you have. I would like to know:

1) What qualifies as "private sector" in this study? There are government entities which operate just like any other business (for the most part).

2) Of the percentage that do have private sector experience what positions do they hold?

Also, your conclusions seem to assume that the public sector doesn't create jobs, which is categorically false.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Wasn't Obama a community organizer?

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Isn't this to cut down on the "lobbyists" employed in the administration?

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Correct.
    But heh, if fivepoint can spin this to look as if the Obama administration is run by a bunch of amateurs… he's not going to pass on the chance…

7. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

It makes me wonder about the quality of the research when George W. Bush is shown as having more experience in private sector business than most past presidents.

I don't know that being born wealthy with insider business contacts really has anything to do with an ability to create jobs for the public. It seems like it would have more bearing on positioning yourself to create more wealth and power for yourself.

How was the data measured? How was it gathered? What were the criteria?

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think it's the private sector experience of the Cabinet, not the President. However, I wouldn't have thought that being a director of an oil company or a mercenary contracting firm was necessarily useful experience either...

9. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Which ones are those and which of Obama's cabinet members were employed by them?

10. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

1) There are also private entities that operate like any other government agency.

2) That would be interesting to know. I'm also curious to know how long ago they were private sector employees. My dad would be chalked up as having private sector experience. He's been with the government for 25 years and detests the private sector employer/employee relationship.

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I think the thread title lunacy has finally jumped the shark.Obama's disdain for capitalism, give me a break.

12. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I am thinking of things like police departments. While at the top the two are going to be different, lower level day-to-day operations are going to be just like, say, a private security force (to a point). My overarching point was that government entities aren't devoid of any and all business practices.

As for the second half of your question, I haven't the slightest idea, hence point number 2 in my first post.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Jails/sheriff departments run nothing like private security forces. The duties are similar, but administration and operations inside the business are like black and white.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly what I was thinking.

15. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Well, my experience with the state police has been very much business-like. I guess therein lies the problem with assumptions from personal history. However, it doesn't change my main point, that government entities aren't devoid of any and all business practices.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh, haven't the american people been complaining for years about these people being the ones in charge?

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its business like but the means of funding are completely different, in a pubic service the government gives you a budget to work within, in private industry your customers give you a budget to work within. Inefficiency and poor service are not perpetuated under a private system, you will simply go out of business*.

*This has lately been turned on its head, by.. you guessed it.. the government.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Says a lot that fivepoint thinks that this is A Bad Thing. Of course, nobody can run a country as well as a multiple-failure oil company/baseball team owner. :rolleyes:

19. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

But that's exactly my point, while there are major differences (such as source of funding, accountability to shareholders, etc.), you can still use the same core principles to operate within the two. Experience in one doesn't mean you are incompetent in the other.

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Surprise. Politifact rates this claim as false:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ays-less-10-percent-obama-cabinet-members-ha/

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You tell us Zombie Acorn.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Zing! Ouch- that hurt. ;)

24. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

But how do we know that now? We don't have the actual percentage.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I will, it doesn't, the graph claims that the Obama cabinet has less experience than the other cabinets in the private sector, not that they had no experience at all. Why you brought up a supplementary claim by fivepoint when Blue Velvet never specifically addressed it is beyond me.

I feel no pain.

I doubt this study was rigorous, but I have to say it doesn't seem like Obama's cabinet has much sense in job creation after failing so horribly, especially since they are still considering cap & trade and more taxation.. doesn't really make me want to hire someone. The execution of job creation seems like it came from someone who has been out of the private sector a bit too long.