Obama's First 100 Days- Your Report Card

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Apr 29, 2009.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This should be interesting.

Well, today marks 100 days since Obama took office. Many think of this as the time when a new President's honeymoon is over. So, how do you think he's doing?

He has moved quickly and gotten some things done and has things on the table that were unlikely only 6 months ago.

He enjoys a high approval rating. How much is that to due with a severely weakened opposition?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He's done things I've liked and things I haven't. I'm honestly still waiting to see more of what happens before I can really assess him as a president. When and if everyone comes home from Iraq and Afghanistan improves will be big ones for me. Health care will be next. The economy seems to have bottomed out and may be starting to get better. Overall, I'm fairly hopeful he'll do a good job.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The BBC produced a report card for his 100 days along with a few other bits a bobs.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I would say that's a pretty fair assessment.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Right now he is running about middle of the road for me, but I don't like where he is trying to go while we are still suffering in an economic crisis. Cap & trade is going to be the worst thing since the Iraq war started. I believe Al Gore linked the environmental movement to the civil rights movement in importance which is a little :confused:.

In some ways cap & trade might force an energy revolution because of the high tax its going to weigh on everyone, but its going to be a bitch for at least 10-15 years.

6. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I'm going to agree with Lee's original post and the scores from the BBC. I still stand behind my vote and say that he is doing a fair job considering the circumstances. Still to early to tell though, things don't happen over night or in the first 100 days..

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- at least the guy is trying. I think he'll be fine. Nothing could be worse than Bush though.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What was Bush's numbers his first 100 days? Are they even with Obama? Better, worse?

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, you could look it up and let us know. ;)

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Eh, that sounds like too much work.:p

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/earl-ofari-hutchinson/eerie-similarities-betwee_b_190620.html

11. jmadlena Guest

I dunno, $1.6 trillion of semi-poorly planned expenditures seems pretty bad to me. Especially with only 12 cents of every dollar actually going to stimulus... I believe President Obama is slipping in things that normally wouldn't pass, but because it is labeled stimulus it gets through.

His first 100 days haven't been as bad as I was expecting, though.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This makes me think you don't know much about cap and trade beyond the typical right wing spin. Carbon intensive industries will indeed cost more, but industries that aren't carbon intensive will cost less as they profit by selling their carbon allowances to the more carbon intensive industries.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Were you expecting the Hammer and Sickle to be flying above the WH by now? :confused:

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

As an anti-statist, I don't like the extension of governmental powers over business and industry. So, low grade there. I really don't believe his monetary policy will work. All we'll get out of it is an extension in length of this world-wide depression and a high rate of inflation. So, low grade there. And the incredible amount of national debt will stifle our economic base, long-term. That's more low grade.

I know of no changes in the medical care system which will reduce federal expenditures--at a time when Medicare and Medicaid costs are growing. We have the expanding unfunded mandate of Social Security as well. In this case, however, past and present Congresses are more to blame than Obama, but he's climbing on that same bandwagon. So, low grade there.

Options within the plans for GM and Chrysler include ownership positions for the UAW. I fail to see how that will enhance profitability for either company. If I'm correct as to the lack of profitability, who will then later bear the burden of the failure? Once again, the taxpayer? Quite possibly, another low grade.

'Rat

15. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

I think he's doing great. He tried to play with the GOP but they just want to stop everything. So now he's moving on his own. I give him high marks across the board.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Isn't that what every president does. The Dems were just as bad in blocking Bush. Party politics will never stop.

17. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Still hasn't come forward with his birth certificate. C-

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bush never even tried to reach across the aisle, MacNut. Don't try to say he did. He demonized anyone who disagreed with him and accused them of sympathizing with terrorists.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

LOL!

Oh wait, you're serious...

LMFAO!:D:p:rolleyes:

20. remmy macrumors 6502a

But isn't that a part of why there is a economical mess, there was a loss of control over business?

21. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They'll tell you the problem was people getting mortgages and loans they couldn't afford. We all know that if the financial markets were better regulated, and the banks and mortgage companies didn't have a way of dumping these bad loans, they would never have been made to begin with.

22. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Why is that funny?

23. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

LOL!

Oh wait, you're serious...

LMFAO! :D:p:rolleyes:

24. Desertrat macrumors newbie

remmy, no, it began in 1977 with government requiring bad business practice on the part of home-loan lenders. The bad practices were then exacerbated by congressional actions later on which led to pyramiding of leverage beyond all rational thought. The Fed contributed by its too-low interest rates. The usual deal of easy money and loose credit led to the usual result. It was in no way unexpected. The two questions were of when, and in what particular manner--but the crash was inevitable.

What's happening now is merely a macro-version of what's happened on a lesser scale many times around the world. A society whose economic activity is based primarily on hedonism and easy money is like a drunk on a Saturday night spree: There's always a Sunday morning, and sometimes the coming down is a real bitch.

I'm not as pessimistic as http://www.kunstler.com about the future, but the man does make some good points from his observations of events. However, we appear to be legislating ourselves toward the darker side of his prognostications.

25. Shivetya macrumors 65816

F

F for insane debt levels he will impose on us and future generations

F for bailing out Wall Street and telling Main Street to take a hike. Go compare their actions with GM/Chrysler versus Wall Street. He is propping up hedge funds to pay off the campaign donations he received. The single largest transfer of public wealth to private hands EVER.

F
    F
    F
    F