Obama's image on American flag angers vets

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

[​IMG]

Frankly, I don't blame the vets.

And I'm glad that guy added that last line. This isn't a Republican or a Democratic issue -- and I hope no one will try to paint it that way. Putting anyone's face on the flag is, in my opinion, wrong, and does draw comparisons to far less democratic governments. The person who created that flag should've known better, as should the people who displayed it.

To be clear, I don't have a problem with other variations of the flag that try to make a political point...for instance, this one:

[​IMG]

But when it give the appearance of extolling one particular person, that's where I draw the line.

(waits for someone to have a problem with that)

2. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

As a piece of art and expression it should be protected as speech under the First Amendment.

That doesn't mean that people have to like it. That said, pasting President Obama's face on the flag is tacky and I would say the same thing for former President Bush or even George Washington.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Agree with the vets. I don't think anyone's face should be replacing the symbolic stars on the flag. Imagine if republican headquarters had one with Bush on it, there would have been screams of bloody murder.

Hell even here putting Harper's image to replace the maple would send liberals into screams of terror about Harper taking over just as they predicted.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- gotta say, that was a no-no.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

The vets are 100% correct. After all, it was their buddies who died to protect our freedom of speech so how dare we exercise it?

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

People are really touchy when it comes to the flag. I never entirely understood this. To me at most, it looks out of place. I don't mean because it's Obama. I mean putting a face there instead of the stars just throws me off, but I'm not truly bothered by it.

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

$5 to whoever can source the image. My guess it is it not the Obama campaign.

8. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I don't get it.. you could stick a turd on the Union Jack and I wouldn't bat an eyelid..

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I like it myself and don't see a problem with it at all. But then again, I still believe in the concept of a FREE country as well where others can do things that maybe you don't like or agree with. Especially artistic stuff like this.

10. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I'll raise you two turds and a bucket of piss on my country's tri/colour, and see if I give a flying ******.:D

11. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Holy crap, that looks tacky.
    Bad tase is unconstitutional, get it removed!! :D

12. citizenzen Suspended

People, in general, care way too much about that piece of cloth.

13. rebby macrumors 6502

Correct on all points. Especially the first. To make matters worse (for the Vets), they fought for the right of people to deface the flag like that. In the end though, it is their right to deface the flag. I don't have to like it but, at the same time, I don't have to support it either. :mad:

14. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

If you have a problem with it, blame the company that makes it. Obviously people will be practically anything and there are others will to make that anything for money.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You are free to do this type of stuff and I am free to ridicule. See how that works?

People labeling this art... really?

16. citizenzen Suspended

People have fought for many reason ... and only occasionally has that reason been to preserve our rights.

We romanticize war and the reasons we fight them far too much.

17. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Who are you to say other wise?

----------

Either they fight for the ALL Rights and Freedoms or they dont. There is no picking and choosing which ones they fight for.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Sorry but the Democrated party really screwed up and that was really really disrespectful to the USA flag and to the vets.

They should be pissed off over it.

19. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Spot on.

I agree 100%

20. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

For a mere $12.95, you could own this 3x5' banner

[​IMG]

Why you would want one rather escapes me

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

A creative observer.

22. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

It was a rhetorical question, it may be your opinion that it's not art but that opinion stops with you. You cant tell others their view of art isn't considered art.

23. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

If it doesn't have 50 stars, it's not the American flag. It's just a flag with a face and some red and white stripes.

24. citizenzen Suspended

What rights were they fighting for in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq I & II, or Afghanistan?

25. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

I was really talking about the personal reasons of soldiers, not the wars of the gov. If you join for the personal reason to fight for your country, that should in essence cover the rights of all including the rights of the people that you might disagree with.