Obama's in "fantasyland"...but it's the GOP avoiding reality

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Submitted for your approval...

Um, yeah. I'm guessing that's Rod Serling with Obama's head photoshopped on.

Meanwhile, back in the bubble...

And we all know what a difficult time the GOP has dealing with inconvenient truths.

2. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

In my view a primary reason why so many people are leaving both the Republican and Democrat parties is because both screw-up just the same. The last time I voted Democrat was on President Clinton's first term. I changed by voter's registration to "undeclared," and never looked back.

And yes, President Obama is living a fantasy he has tried to realize for four years. Will a Republican be any different? No idea, but something has to change.

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Frankly, I'd rather live in a fantasy world than the 1950's - which is where we will be living if Romney gets elected.

4. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Do you really think that the sky will fall if Romney wins? Haven't you realized already that it does not really matter if Obama is reelected or not? Lets say that he is. In this case a Republican will be elected next. The whole thing is like a never ending cycle. The only thing that will happen if Romney wins is that we will have a Republican president, and maybe (big maybe) he can set things so the private sector can create jobs. Without jobs, it would be just like four more years with Obama.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The 50s were good times ... cheap gas and RocknRoll :D

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Someone just learn how to use Photoshop?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'm a gay woman. So, yes I really do think that the sky will fall. I am truly scared of the damage he can do if he gets elected.

And maybe I'm living in a fantasy world, but I'm hoping a loss in this election will cause the Republicans to reevaluate their platform and those they have chosen to represent them. Even if there is a Republican in office in 2016, I imagine he will be a whole lot closer to the center than they are right now.

Right now the party is a joke and if they continue on like this, they won't win in 2016 either.

8. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Both parties are a joke :)

AND it's all smoke and mirrors from both sides. Do you remember what Obama had to say about "same-sex marriage" just before he was elected? He was quite conservative (then) about both abortion and same-sex marriage.

I would worry more about what is happening to our economy and the lack of jobs for over 22-million Americans, than about things related to sex.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The system is a joke.

What seemed to make sense to our Founders over 200 years ago is no longer the best system today. The two parties are just a symptom. Not the cause.

Care to amend the Constitution?

10. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Maybe you should read my post in the other thread. It explained very well the positions both parties have OFFICIALLY taken on both subjects.

And to dismiss my civil rights, and the rights of women, as being "related to sex", is offensive and shows how ignorant you truly are on the subject.

I've said it so many times, but it bears repeating - It is amazingly unfair that my future, and the future of my family, is going to be effected by people like you and people who think like you. It sickens me.

11. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

I will ask for your forgiveness, then. I was almost certain that being gay or straight had to do with one's sexuality.

Perhaps you are being oversensitive?

So, let me tell it this way: as a heterosexual male and ex military, having President Obama as my president did not make the sky fall. If he gets reelected again, the sky still won't fall. My concerns at the moment are not my rights, which by the way all Americans are losing quite fast, but with the need to provide a roof over my family's head, and food on the table. I can care less about my being a heterosexual man, and if all my rights are taken away in the future.

12. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I am not being oversensitive. You are being ignorant. And your "explanation" is further proof of that.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

So, as a veteran, why would you want to vote for the candidate who supports $11 billion dollars in cuts to veterans affairs in the next 10 years when the President has said he won't make any cuts and that it should be our country's moral obligation to take care of all our military veterans?

14. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

OK then. I am not taking any rights away from you; I promise:D

Anything to do with rights or the lack of you have to bring it up to Government, any of the three branches.

----------

Just because President Obama says he won't cut the military it does not mean that he won't. The same can be said about Romney. If one is dishonest, so is the other one.

How could President Obama continue the present rate of spending for four more years?

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

But yet you'll take Romney, who has already said he'll increase military spending with no mention of how to pay for it?

I don't get how that works. He's also promised to take rights away from people like myself and moyank.

16. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Yes, but because of the economy and jobs creation. We need hope and change from another direction. Four years are nearly over, things have turned into a hopeless situation, and change has turned for the worst :D

That said, if President Obama is reelected the sky won't fall.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Romney has not proven he is capable of helping fix the economy. His advisers are the same ones Bush had, which got us in this mess in the first place. Why you would want to go back to that is a mystery to me.

No, it will stay right where it is and maybe go a little higher.

18. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Your comments remind me of the news media giving equal time to "both" sides of the story as a means to feign journalistic integrity. While it is demonstrably true that both parties get a failing grade on their ability to actually deliver on their promises, the difference between the two parties is great, and we live in an age where we have access to data that makes the distinction clear. It's demonstrably true there has not been a Republican since Nixon who has balanced the budget. It's demonstrably true that with the exception of Obama, every Democrat since Truman has balanced the budget. It's demonstrably true that the supply-side economics espoused by Romney and Ryan do not work. It's demonstrably true that in the last 50 years Democratic presidents have overseen almost double the job growth as Republicans.

This is not my opinion, this is fact.

That conservative administrations are better stewards of the economy is just a lazy stereotype that the Republicans have been happy to capitalize on. The president's influence on the economy is of debatable significance; the modern Republican party's economic capabilities are not.

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I find it a bit disturbing that you paint a dire picture and then laugh about it.

20. vega07 macrumors 65816

Exactly this. AlaskaMoose tries to sound bipartisan but he/she is so very transparent. :rolleyes:

21. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm not really concerned about the "fantasy" part of this story; I merely posted that as contrast.

What gets me more is that the GOP, presented with findings that lowering the top tax rate isn't going to do squat for job creation or economic growth, chooses to throw a hissy fit, to the point that the CRS was in one way or another apparently intimidated into withdrawing its report.

It's emblematic of how Republicans approach things these days. Don't like reality? Pretend it doesn't exist.

That's fantasyland.

22. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

It's true that Romney has not proven that he can fix the economy, but there is a good reason for this:

He has not been The US President for the past four years. Obama has, and has proven that he can't do anything that would help the economy.

----------

The reason why stealing money from the rich and the not so rich won't do anything for the economy is as simple as this: The US government is spending more than what it makes in taxes. There won't be a difference whatsoever, and it the Government takes every penny from the rich, it would not last a month.

23. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Romney himself said his plan would take 8-10 years. And yet you criticize the president for not being able to do it in 4?

24. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

I am an independent voter, and as such vote for my pocket. There is is no way I can vote Democrat anymore (last time I did was for Bill Clinton), simply because the Democrats, specially now, are killing me. I am in the union, and public sector employee. Just because Obamacare is being phased in, my health insurance payment went up 267% starting this fiscal year (in July).

I don't know how much some of you pay for a gallon of gasoline, but in Alaska it's still over $4.00 per gallon. Four years ago I was paying around $2.00 per gallon.

25. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Did you vote for Bush? How did that work out for your pocket? :rolleyes:

It really confounds me how people continue to think that Republicans do such a better job with the economy. They are doing some brainwashing job.