Obama's Lies on Earmark Reform

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IntheNet, Dec 26, 2009.

1. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Yet another campaign pledge that Obama lied about...

Feingold slams Obama over earmarks
    Obama falls short on pledge to curtail earmarks, fiscal hawks say
    By Walter Alarkon
    The Hill
    12/26/09 08:04 AM ET
    http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...n-pledge-to-curtail-earmarks-fiscal-hawks-say
    Fiscal hawks in Congress say President Barack Obama hasn't followed through on a pledge to lower federal spending on local projects. Earmarks are expected to total nearly $12 billion in fiscal 2010, according to fiscal watchdog groups. While that number is less than the $15 billion total in 2009, lawmakers from both parties said Obama hasn’t kept up the kind of pressure he showed during his first weeks in office or that he promised as a candidate. Sen. Russ Feingold (D-Wis.) said Obama made earmark reform "a very big part of [his] campaign" but still signed this month two massive spending measures that both included approximately $4 billion in earmarks.

"We've got to have a fresh start next year, and I've signaled that if they want my vote, they've got to stop just signing onto huge numbers of earmarks," Feingold said. Obama talked tough about earmarks on the campaign trail. "Absolutely, we need earmark reform," Obama said in his first presidential debate with Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.). "And when I'm president, I will go line by line to make sure that we are not spending money unwisely." Obama also called for cutting earmarks down to their levels in 1994, when they took up less than $8 billion of the federal discretionary budget.

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The projected earmarks are going to be less in 2010 tan 2009 by $3 billion, 20%, and you say he lied about cracking down on it?

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

He expects some sort of miracle from obama to stop any and all earmarks. Why is it that the non supporters are always the one with some sort of messiah vision of our president?

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

we had huge stimulus packages laden with earmarks in 2009.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Lies? Come on now..... let's get real.

I'd bet that Obama is extremely disappointed, frustrated, and angry at his inability to get anything (or as much as he intended) done in Washington.

I believe that his intentions are good and that he truly wants what is best for America, however I think that we are all witnessing how difficult it really is to change the culture in Washington.

I do not think that it is due to a lack of effort on the administration's part. I just think that Washington is so full of bureaucracy and selfish politicians that it is impossible for the "good guy" to do anything progressive.

The Washington machine has pushed back at Obama harder than he expected......

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

"Palin: I'm Not the Biggest Liar of the Year"

these politicians and their lies! just about all of them too! :eek:

some of the media fact checking projects have even taken to giving awards to politicians for their lies, and this year PolitiFact.com has given Sarah Palin their "Lie of the Year" award.

Not surprisingly, she denies it.

from a Politics Daily report about the big award;
    here's from the announcement at Politifact.com

FactCheck.org has also included the "Death panels" claims on its "Whoppers of 2009" list of lies told by politicians

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

O/T but, seriously, it amazes me how polarised American politics has become. It's like everything has to be black or white, and there's so much venom! Can't you guys 'n' gals all just get along and, you know, get something done?

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

As uninteresting as your articles are, they have nothing to do with the thread subject.

9. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

We have people with the OP's mindset in Congress. :(

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

he's complaining about a politician lying, wasn't that the point of his post? to call obama a liar? Well, those articles were also about politicians lying.

11. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Because they want to call him a failure so they hold him up to an impossibly high standard.

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

Doesn't the US still use the four year term for the presidency? I don't remember it being switched over to elven months. Such a shame that he had to lie about it, though, especially considering that he could have just said "poof" and other magic words on day one to made every mentioned issue resolve itself. With everything going so well in your country over the last year, it was all laid out so nicely for him to come in and fix all the problems at the snap of a finger.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How many things are promised to be addressed during an election campaign, and how many of them would you expect to be accomplished within the first year of term?

Come on. Let's set the bar now.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We should be working together to find better politicians, instead we fight about dumb lies that the current ones tell us. Quite frankly in my young age im tired of this **** and something needs to be done.

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Aw, I wouldn't call the young lad a liar. He had good intentions, but he just let his alligator mouth overload his canary butt.

Face it: He probably didn't really want to hire lobbyists. He probably didn't want to do the deficit thing. He probably really wanted to have an open and honest administration. He probably believed folks would appreciate his CDs and such. He figured he was just being polite and courteous to world leaders, even though he wound up being seriously dissed at Copenhagen.

On the credit side, he did manage a successful summit at the White House, with Joe, Prof. Gates and the cop. The beer was cold! His next effort will be a keg party for the LAPD and Rodney King.

Give the kid credit. After all, his bankster buddies won't give you any...

'Rat

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I disagree. The OP's claim is that Obama "lied," but which is more of a lie, a promise that remains unfulfilled or an outright misstatement of the facts as Palin did (whether this was through ignorance or a blatant political act also matters).

Remember Obama is the "One," so he should have been able to accomplish all his goals and beat Agent Smith while making a ham sandwich.

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

hulugu, I sometimes think that politicians actually believe the pap they spew at the time they say it. (I make exception for Rahm Emmanuel, of course.) Now, whether or not that belief lasts beyond the evening's Happy Hour is another question.

18. IntheNet thread starter macrumors regular

IntheNet

Obama made earmark reform a very big part of campaign, saying he would change the process and address the earmarks in legislation he signed. He repeatedly made this claim throughout 2008 campaign. Yet, in 2009, he made no effort whatsoever to reduce earmarks in legislation; indeed earmarks are expected to total nearly $12 billion in fiscal 2009/2010 legislation. I treat this not as some task Obama has not addressed but something he lied about. However, if you can show me a single effort that Obama has made to reduce earmarks - such as his refusal to sign legislation advancing them - I am willing to retract the charge....

Is it now absolutely de rigueur for liberals to reference some conservative in their each instance of apologia for the current administration?

19. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Why, yes, thank you for asking.;)

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Still waiting for the 'rat who used to post in a substantive manner. I really miss that guy.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Lies and more lies. Earmark reform was McCain's issue.

While I agree the earmark process stinks, it is merely a drop in the bucket of where we waste money. Let's look at moving American troops off foreign soil and farm subsidies. Now we're talking serious cash.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Generally, I agree. There's some difference, I think between making a campaign promise and then finding it difficult, if not impossible to actually implement, and citing inaccurate or misleading information. Neither must be a lie and I'd be willing to agree that both can come from naivete about the reality of a subject.

However, I'd also argue that there are degrees of falsehoods which is why I thought the article about Palin does matter in this particular context. If we're going to talk about earmarks, then Palin doesn't matter a whit.

As for Obama and earmarks, it's clear that he is unwilling to thwart Congress by vetoing the budget. However, it's also clear that Congress has a vested interest in creating and passing these earmarks despite much noise on both sides about how evil they are.

23. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Look: There's a bunch of "You can't have it both ways" in all this jabber about Obama. If he's as smart as his supporters say, how can he then be so naive? "No lobbyists". "Open administration". "Cut deficits". "Close Gitmo". "End the war" or words to that effect. And quite a few more. If he really believed all that, he's naive. But if he's not naive, he's at the very least skating on the edge of seriously BSing the folks during the campaign, if not outright lying. Again, you can't have it both ways.

Look: I've stayed focussed almost exclusively on his monetary and economic ideas and policies--even back during the campaign in discussions here and elsewhere. Too much other BS and allegations floating around. Every danged thing that I predicted has come to pass, and none of it bodes well for the nation. Thoroughly chaps my butt, since I do love this country and care about its people.

Obama may well be naive, given the worldwide derision toward Geithner. And this recent faux pas by Sotomayor does not reflect well upon his judgement.

Overall? I'm underwhelmed by his track record in life.

Damfino. I've protected me and mine about as well as a fella can, I guess. I can mostly just sit back and watch; not anything I can do to change things, 'cept run my mouth and vote.

24. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

The things he said he wanted to do are possible. In the first year no they're not.

25. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Ive pointed this out before, its not a "fail', "lie" or "promise unkept" until his term is over. There are still 3 more years to fulfill campaign promises...