"Obama's Life Story Now an Anti-Abortion Ad"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by joepunk, Jan 22, 2009.

1. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

From newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/:

Here's the Obama's life story turned into an anti-abortion ad ad

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Illustrating that your child could grow up to be a politician would be reason enough to get an abortion. Or at least a reminder to take extra precaution.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Exactly. By that logic, an equally valid pro-choice commercial could solemnly intone "He murdered 6 million Jews, 20 million Russians, and millions upon millions of others of different races and creeds. If Hitler's mother had had access to safe and legal abortions, WWII would never have happened."

It's all a bunch of intellectually degenerate crap, and proof of just how desperate these folks are these days...

4. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Or the aborted fetus could grow up to be the next Hitler or Saddam Hussein. Ya never know.

Let the women choose.

5. WinkWink726 macrumors regular

WinkWink726

Abortion isn't for me and won't be.

that having been said... its not up to me to determine whats okay for anyone else.
    i saw a sticker the other day that said
    "Against Abortion? Don't have one."

6. No1451 macrumors 6502

Their argument is ridiculous, that is for sure. That being said, I am pro-life, I would never want anyone to get an abortion, I am happy to be alive and wouldn't want to steal that option from anyone else.

7. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Abortion should only be allowed in certain cases. Such as: The life of the mother is in danger. The woman was raped and does not want to give birth to the baby of her rapist. OR the fetus has some severe mental illness that will prevent him/her from having a normal life.

That's just my opinion. I'm not gonna tell a woman what she can and can not do with her body let alone vote it into law.

8. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Prof,

You've nailed down my feelings on the matter perfectly. I'm for abortion in the case of danger to the mother's life, rape, incest, or obvious deformation of the fetus. Otherwise I think it should be forbidden.

SLC

9. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Wait... so I'm not a crazy pro-abortion liberal?:confused:

:D

10. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Apparently not!

are you surprised?

But I'd be careful if I were you. You're dangerously close to a point where you'll be labeled a right wing nutjob.

SLC

11. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

i can't be labeled a "right-wing nutjob". My president is black.:D:p

12. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

So is mine, but it doesn't help!

SLC

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

These two views are impossible to hold simultaneously. Which is it?

14. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I was just stating my opinion. I don't care what the women chooses to do.

15. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Based on your second statement, you're a crazy pro-abortion liberal.

I find it odd that while those of us who are personally against abortion but realize that our opinion should not be translated into a law that limits the ability of others to make their own personal decisions somehow become "pro-abortion."

16. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I think the problem is the word 'allowed'. If you want abortions to be disallowed (other than for the reasons you stated) then you can't also let people make their own choice.

I think if you'd said that you wouldn't have one for any other reason than those which you stated but other people are free to choose, then it'd make sense.

17. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

I'm moderately pro-choice, meaning I think it should be legal, but it's horrible and I'd never opt for one (I think).

Prof. and SLC, could you explain your position a bit? I've never really understood why "rape and incest" should be an exception.

I understand people who are pro-life, and those who are pro-choice. I also understand exceptions where the mother's life is in danger, or the fetus is barely viable.

But why rape and incest? IMO, the reason for being pro-life is one believes a fetus deserves the rights and protections of a "full-human." Why would the circumstances of the child's conception bear on that?

18. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I was merely stating my opinion. I am not saying my opinion is right or wrong or should or should not be made into law. What I am saying tho is women should be able to choose for themselves whether or not they should have an abortion or not.

19. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Exactly!

Except for a few very serious reasons, I'd never even think of having an abortion. Certainly not for selfish reasons, which unfortunately is often the case. However, I'd never want to push my view of abortion, something so personal and emotional, onto another person.

I'm against abortion, most people probably are. Just because we don't want to make a law restricting the right to choose it doesn't mean we'd make that choice.

Making abortions illegal and stopping abortions are not the same thing at all. We'd be losing unborn babies and the mothers along with them. Forcing people into backstreet abortions or other, even more horrifying, methods isn't the way to go.

20. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

So they shouldn't be allowed to have an abortion (other than for the reasons you outlined) but they should be able to choose to have an abortion, despite not being allowed one.

That makes perfect sense.

21. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

I think I understand that—as a matter of law, it should be legal. I agree with you.

But as a matter of morals, why would rape or incest change the analysis? (I know it would *seem* to be change things, but if you think about it, why would the child's father impact it's right to life?)

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Don't worry, I'm printing stickers for Prof. right now. I just can't decide which Avery label template to use.

I think there's some attempt to have the child to born under decent circumstances and the theory is that a child conceived because of incest or rape won't be well-cared for. The logical construct doesn't work, but its a compromise.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Then you fall under the "crazy pro-abortion liberal" category. It sounds like what you're trying to say is that, while you personally would never choose to abort a child, you would allow others the right to make that CHOICE.

That's the liberal position. The conservative position is that you don't want to allow them (except in the case of your teenage daughter, whom you have flown to a European clinic for a safe, legal abortion :p).

My understanding is that the rape and incest exemptions are for the protection of the mother, not the child. Some mothers do not want to face the possibility of their attacker showing up later to claim paternity rights. This would seem to go against the stated conservative position that abortion is all about the child. I agree, exemptions for rape and incest do not fit the conservative argument well. However, I think the reason you hear so many of them make such a claim is readily identifiable:

I believe the reason these exemptions are even mentioned by conservatives is because they are necessary to allow anti-choice legislation to pass SCOTUS muster. As I recall, the SCOTUS has repeatedly struck down legislation banning abortions that did not contain exemptions for rape and incest. It's a way to mollify the court enough to pass such legislation.

24. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

For me, Rape and Incest change the analysis because a pregnancy caused by a Rape has nothing to do with a choice that the mother made, quite the opposite in fact. When I mentioned incest in my mind I had the thought of a girl who was sexually abused by a closely related male. I suppose that really can just be covered by the Rape clause of my views. Though a pregnancy caused by incestuous relations does carry a much higher risk of birth defects and various genetic disorders. I'm not sure what I think about a pregnancy between two consenting siblings.

I mainly object to abortion being used as a form of birth control. I think it's unfortunate that for some it is viewed in that light.

SLC

25. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama