Obama's New Cabinet - Your Predictions?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    So, Obama's already chosen Rahm Emanuel, and he's accepted. Each new appointment will bring its own share of compliments and criticism. I'm curious what people's predictions are... not just based on who Obama will pick, but who will accept. We know Deval Patrick is staying put in Massachusetts, so that's off the table (although he's maneuvering to make a possible Kerry pick go down much smoother).

236.com had what they called an "inappropriate hottie list", that I actually thought looked good for a "guess" list.

Newsmax had a nice rundown on the positions:
    http://www.newsmax.com/politics/obama_cabinet_secretary/2008/09/29/135736.html

According to the official Transition website, the Cabinet is comprised of the Vice President and the heads of 15 executive departments.

CABINET POSITIONS:
    • Vice President - Joe Biden
    • Secretary of State
    • Secretary of Energy
    • Secretary of Agriculture
    • Secretary of Commerce
    • Secretary of Defense
    • Secretary of Education
    • Secretary of Health and Human Services
    • Secretary of Homeland Security
    • Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
    • Secretary of Interior
    • Secretary of Labor
    • Secretary of Transportation
    • Secretary of Treasury
    • Secretary of Veterans Affairs
    • Attorney General
    • Chief of Staff to the President - Rahm Emanuel
    • Administrator, Environmental Protection Agency
    • Director, Office of Management and Budget
    • Director, Office of National Drug Control Policy
    • U.S. Trade Representative

What are your selective picks (I doubt anyone has an opinion on all the positions)? From suggestions I've heard, I like:

• Janet Napolitano - Attorney General
    • John Kerry - Secretary of State (alternate: Bill Richardson)
    • Wesley Clark - Secretary of Defense
    • Ed Rendell - Secretary of Energy
    • Chuck Hagel - Secretary of Homeland Security (alternate: Richard Lugar)
    • Al Gore - United Nations Ambassador
    • Robert Rubin - Secretary of Treasury Edit: I change my mind
    • Dick Gephardt - Secretary of Labor
    • Hillary Clinton - Secretary of Health and Human Services
    • Linda Darling-Hammond - Secretary of Education

I KNOW Obama will want to place Valerie Jarrett somewhere (she seems like an outstanding individual, great counsel, and I'd like to see him appoint more women), but I'm not sure where she fits (haven't given it enough thought). I don't know enough about the other positions, or have a strong opinion.

Thoughts? We'll see how it pans out.

~ CB

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't see a whole hell of a lot of change on that list.

3. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Probably because there will be no change. It was, is, and will be politics as usual.

I just hope he takes Jennifer Granholm the hell out of Michigan (only good thing about Obama winning the presidency), as she has done nothing good for us here. Hell, we have been in a recession for years. I cannot wait for her to burn down the rest of the country as well now.

Enjoy!

4. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I'm a little leery of a Clinton health secretary, but I don't think the intention was the problem so much as the tactic (back when she tried to pass her health reform), and her experience is invaluable in this specific area.

What type of "change" would you see as "change"?

I honestly don't think Obama is going to be searching for a bunch of "transformational politicians" who focus on inspiring people to action. I think the "change" is all about the right leadership. If the war in Iraq is any indication, you can have a bad commander in chief and the best soldiers and still have a series of failures. Conversely, you can still have a bad commander in chief, and appoint the right general, and get results, even with a failed mission.

.. No?

~ CB

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Interesting list; I hope Napolitano refuses, she's been a good governor for Arizona.

Here's a good Slate article on who not to pick. Richardson, Kerry, and Rubin seem like poor choices.

6. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Nice article. :) I still think there isn't a strong case against Kerry. I was definitely on the "shut up and sit down" bandwagon when he made noises about running again in 2008. I think he'd be a fine Secretary of State though. Rubin? Yeah... I think I'm going off of his value as an advisor. I think he'd be a mistake... I'm taking him off my list. I just remembered he's RADIOACTIVE.
    Obama needs to steer clear of things that led to the meltdown, although this association is not the easiest to argue for Republicans, Bill Clinton did receive a tough question over the decision to sign it.

~ CB

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Seems to me that we are hearing a lot of Clinton administration people mentioned. Is Obama planning on a third Clinton administration?

Hillary won't take a cabinet spot. She's going to try and unseat Reid.

8. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Actually, when it comes to policy and execution, I think "associations" DO matter. I think it mattered that McCain's advisor was Phil Gram, and what he's done and said. That's why I think Rubin would be a mistake, given how he cheerleaded the GOP led deregulation effort. But, the reason McCain was running for Bush's third term wasn't because he simply had people in his team that worked with Bush before. It was his policies. I think Clinton's administration became very tight in its second term even if he became the distraction. That's good, solid experience to use. I'm not sure why it matters that some people here and there came from that background... unless their role helped facilitate a fundamental mistake.
    You might be right. Also, speculation she'll run again down the road.

~ CB

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

But we have to hope for the change.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Cynicism is intellectual dandyism.

11. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

[​IMG]

Maybe this is the change he was talking about...

12. jplan2008 macrumors regular

There are competing interests of getting the person confirmed, experience, and change. Obama likes to find the most competent people, and some of those will be Clinton re-treads. I for one really like former Sec. of Labor under Clinton, Robert Reich.

He's the opposite of Rahm Emanuel, who wants to move the Democratic Party to the right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Reich

13. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Hey... you're trolling! Seems like "more of the same" to be honest. Hopefully Wall Street can hold on 'til January 20th, eh? The trends of the last few weeks have been pretty much unstoppable, even with momentary bursts of good/not-crappy news.

~ CB

14. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Haha... Not trolling, just saying it like it is.

The economy in general is scared though. Waiting to see who Obama chooses. Plus with the unemployment info coming out tomorrow, I can only see the market getting even worse.

I see a huge selloff by the end of trading tomorrow.

15. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

CABINET POSITIONS:
    • Vice President - Joe Biden
    • Secretary of State -- Bill Richardson, a Democrat who has had real experience with diplomacy, unlike John Kerry.
    • Secretary of Energy
    • Secretary of Agriculture
    • Secretary of Commerce
    • Secretary of Defense -- John McCain, I think this would be a masterstroke to unite the nation.
    • Secretary of Education
    • Secretary of Health and Human Services
    • Secretary of Homeland Security
    • Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
    • Secretary of Interior -- Wayne Gilchrest, a decent man the GOP ousted from Congress (or at EPA)
    • Secretary of Labor
    • Secretary of Transportation
    • Secretary of Treasury -- Warren Buffet, it's all his money anyway, he might as well be close enough to make sure it's spent properly.
    • Secretary of Veterans Affairs
    • Attorney General -- Eric Holder
    • Chief of Staff to the President - Rahm Emanuel
    • Administrator, Environmental Protection Agency
    • Director, Office of Management and Budget
    • Director, Office of National Drug Control Policy
    • U.S. Trade Representative

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Come on, you can't honestly use one day of trading, especially in such an obviously volatile market, to show the market is afraid of Obama. It's been in a slow, but accelerating, ballistic arc since 2007.

17. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Ever since people could foresee Obama winning the presidency...

18. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Off-topic. It'd be awesome if you added something to the conversation instead of distracted from it. Thanks.

BTW, I just heard Axel Rod will become Senior Advisor (not that I'm clear how this position works).

David Axelrod - White House Senior Advisor
    Robert Gibbs - White House Press Secretary

http://blogs.abcnews.com/george/2008/11/axelrod-emanuel.html?xid=rss-page
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/06/david-axelrod-obamas-seni_n_141860.html

~ CB

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, if the market could "foresee" that, we don't need Nostradamus or Magic 8-balls.

Your abusing the data to fit your argument. The market's been falling because the economy has had significant problems since the housing bubble burst in 2007.

CB, sorry, I couldn't resist feeding him.

Buffet is an interesting choice, I wonder if the Oracle from Omaha will be willing to take a pay cut.

McCain is also interesting, but I think he might be a better ally in the Senate. It might be worth offering him the position, but I think he'll prefer to remain on the hill.

I'm really not sure about Richardson, he has the experience to a point, but I wonder if there are better choices out there.

EDIT: Interesting about Jarrett, I wondered what role she would play.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

They said that the market has never dropped that far after election day in history. It won't get much better tomorrow, GM and Ford are going to report.

21. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

It would be cool if a MOD could move these comments to the "Economics After the Election" thread or something. --Cause, we've actually been experiencing some of the largest market drops in HISTORY, so... to say that the market hadn't dropped that far after an election before (as if the election is the cause), is actually silly, considering the specific economic news being responded to.

Its a shame, but there it is. Walmart, Apple, IBM and Google could all release wonderful beat-the-street profits on the same day that bad news from housing and the job report comes out... and the market impact won't be "offset", they'll pick the thing to respond to... and its usually the negative.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=ahxDxARQcLBc&refer=news

Anyone not looking at facts strike me as a bit mindless and/or manipulative.

~ CB

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think it would be wise and prudent to hold Gates over as Secretary of Defense for possibly a year.

I'd like to see Richard Holbrooke as Secretary of State.

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Hopefully you realize that the market drop and the election are about as unrelated as you can get.

24. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I'd like to see Bobby Kennedy, Jr. as head of the EPA. I wouldn't mind seeing his cousin Caroline as UN ambassador. I'd like to see Bill Richardson as Secy. of State, and Deval Patrick as either AG or Supreme Court Justice (maybe both - AG and then Justice when it opens up.) Most of all I want to see Al Gore given a special portfolio as ambassador-at-large for environmental affairs, with the responsibility to negotiate a new treaty on climate change. I would also like to see someone as Defense Sec. who will shake up the department - perhaps Wesley Clark. It has to be someone who stood up against the use of torture and the opening of Guantanamo as a prison. These folks would represent a good start on change.

Oh, and Robert Reich for Treasury and Paul Krugman for either the head of the Council of Economic Advisors or Commerce.

btw, change doesn't mean people with no experience.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't think anyone is arguing for people with no experience. The ***** is piled way too high to appoint people who need OTJ training. My concern with throwing all these Clinton administration names around is that it sends a message to the American people and the Republicans that it's business as usual. That's the last thing we need now.