Obama's new website: Fight the Smears

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

In response to the continued lies being spread about Barack Obama on the internet, his campaign has launched a website called "Fight the Smears." If you still believe Obama is a muslim, or that Michelle Obama called white people "whitey," or other such lies, then this is the site for you. If you know someone who believes such nonsense, it is helpful as well.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Fixed it for you ;)

3. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

4. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

This is excellent. I love how Obama takes things like this head on.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

He did NOT push that iceberg into the Titanic!

He did NOT kidnap the Lindbergh baby!

He did NOT drive Jimmy Hoffa's taxi to that final appointment!

Hey, it's the silly season, with over four months to go! Yuck!

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Speaking of silly season, apparently the wingnuts are all up in arms over Obama's birth certificate. Exactly the reason this site is in existence, because of the lies and smears perpetrated by Obama's political foes.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think it's commendable that he's addressing it in this manner. It's about time someone stood up to the Republicans and called them out. No one else has ever done it. They won't be swiftboating this guy. If they try, they're going to end up looking very stupid and very petty. Look what that did to Clinton's campaign.

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"Swiftboating" came about because of the candidate's use of his war record as being important. If he--or his campaing folks--hadn't made a big deal of it, the Swiftboating would not have occurred.

Such crapola as Obama's birth certificate is foolish, and not germane to the issues.

Some Democrats have tried to bring Mrs. McCain's wealth into public discussion. Others have picked on personal issues, insofar as they could find any.

It's what happens during campaigns. Neither side has any claim to purity.

For all that I won't vote for Obama, mostly because we differ on economic policies and gun control, I'm glad that he and his people are willing to attack any slimy BS that anybody spouts. I don't like slander. And I hope that McCain won't have to deal with any of the same...

'Rat
    'Rat

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

From what I've seen, Obama has run a very clean campaign so far. There's plenty of things to nail McCain with that he's actually done. So let McCain slime Obama all he wants. It's only going to work in Obama's favor, as Hillary found out.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

So...a sort of "Media Matters" for lies about Barack Obama, huh? Great idea. This is one thing I like about Obama -- he's running a very smart, very well-planned campaign. If his organizational skills are anywhere near as good when he's president, the man has the potential to be brilliant.

I want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding you. You're not saying that, because Kerry ran on his war record, that a bunch of loons were justified in making up stuff about him out of whole cloth?

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Are you suggesting it was an appropriate response to a candidate's use of his war record?

I note that McCain has touted his war record as important this cycle. Would you be as passive about smears of McCain -- suggesting that his nickname in the Hanoi Hilton was "Songbird", for instance; and that he gave up information to save his skin while his comrades suffered? Would you simply chalk an attack like that up to a typical response to a veteran promoting his war record as being important?

I think not. And I'd hope not.

Of course not. Neither is such crapola as whether Obama is a secret Muslim, whether he attended a madrassa, whether he salutes the flag, etc. But these are all smears being perpetrated against him by shadowy right-wing organizations.

See, and here's the distinction -- Mrs. McCain is, by any measure, wealthy. IOW, it's not a lie. McCain can try to rebut the charges of elitism, but he cannot claim that people questioning her wealth are lying about it. Saying that Obama is a secret Muslim, or that he doesn't salute the flag are demonstrable lies.

Of course not. It's the old "it's acceptable to do because the other person did it" argument. Not a very good one.

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

What I'm saying about Kerry is along the lines of, "Whatever you say can and will be used against you in the court of public opinion." That doesn't mean the prosecution was justified. :) But in politics, just as on this forum, whatever is said is subject to spin or attack. :D

Look: This election, like most, isn't really about the issues. Those will get a few ten-second soundbites and that's about it. The goal is control over the federal budget, and both sides will follow whatever path leads to it. Whatever the advisory groups of strategists decide is needed is how they'll attempt to persuade the public to vote for their boy.

"Clean" is to be hoped for, along with discussion of the issues. "Dirty" should not be unexpected.

'Rat

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? I bet you we find that this ends up being more about issues than any election we've seen in quite some time.

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

When Barack tossed his hat into the Presidential race, I thought, "Barack Who?". I had never even heard of him. As the primary race began, I was supporting Chris Dodd (who I still believe would make a great President). When he dropped, I supported Joseph Biden. When he dropped out, I supported John Edwards. When he dropped out, I was very surprised to see Barack Obama still there and gaining momentum. Regardless of what some of think of Hillary, I greatly admire the woman.

It is common knowledge that she is hated by a large number of white males. They see in her greater inner-strength than they themselves possess. It threatens their male ego. My wife and I made a road trip from Seattle to San Diego. We always bring a number of 'books on tape' (CDs). In that trip, Edie brought two Hillary 'bashing' books, and one she wrote, describing her career in public life.

I was appalled by the 'bashing books'. They were simply a total right-wing smear. I realized, this lady had been under siege since Bill's first term. I am very impressed that she can shrug it off and go about her business. I am not sure I could do the same thing. So, I was ready to jump onto her campaign, but I decided it would be fair to really a close look at Barack.

The more I studied the man, the more impressed I became. I had formed an early opinion that there was no way in hell we would elect a black President. But, an honest inner evaluation made me recognize, I was limiting my perspective. I now believe, this is truly a special individual. He possesses a JFK enthusiasm. He is raising funds $25 dollars at a time, from small individual donors. He refuses any contributions from special interest groups. He will attract the 'best and the brightest' for his administration. And finally, and most importantly, he is the American Dream personified. He went from poverty to where he is today, by his own hard work. He is so 'squeaky clean', the smear mongers do not have much to sink their fangs into. He is also strong and will not let the attack dogs 'have their day'.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Every time I see that mentioned, they say it's because the GOP pushed for Teresa Heinz' wealth to become public discussion.

I doubt that, because McCain has sadly flip flopped to a lot of really unpopular positions, and if we made this more about issues than terrorist fist jabs and everything Obama's site will be ignored by by those who need to read it most Obama would win in a landslide.