Obama's Olympic pitch draws GOP complaint

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Sep 29, 2009.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g-ubeZxp4teymzpNsaikQFX-UYOwD9B15GJ05
    Has any other sitting president gone this far to get the Olympic bid, not criticizing just asking. Curious what other Chicagoans think about this.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It is one day. Steele is an idiot that isn't even respected in his own party. Clearly other Presidential activities such as meeting with the champions of respective sporting events are more meaningful then spending a day on a trip that could result in billions of dollars being spent in the United States.

How many jobs or how much resolution on health care can Obama do in the one day that he is going to be gone. This is why someone's party is laughed upon.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Hypocrites. Where was the outrage from the GOP when Bush went on vacation practically every weekend?

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The area could use the economic boost. I think we have a few more pressing matters though.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The wood that he sawed in Crawford created jobs and the lawyer that Cheney shot was really an enemy combatant.

I agree Health Care more important then Olympics, but seriously, it's not as if 100 percent of the President's time is going to be spent on the Olympics. It's rather the opposite, explain to me what one day is going to matter.

I mean, he's also the head of state and should act like one. Going to lobby for the Olympics seems better then...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

How much will it cost Chicago to build everything. Will they be in debt before they turn a maybe 2 week profit.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

ROFL.

Its one day, and he has "adopted" Chicago as his city. I don't think any of the press made an issue about Blair supporting the London Olympic bid - let alone an MP.

8. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Do the people of Chicago want the Olympics.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Who knows, but I imagine Chicago would come out with a profit in the end.

Seems the citizens have the right idea to avoid the problems of debt/taxes.

10. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Those are not people in the city who would have to put up with it.

11. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Good on Obama for making the pitch. I'm not his no.1 fan, but some critics are childishly transparent and there's no way you can pin a lack of focus on any policy over Obama taking a day trip to pitch an economically important event.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Can Obama breath without the GOP throwing a fit?

13. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That is their job as opposition. Just be glad on this occasion they haven't tried to liken it to hitler in some way (yet).

edit: really like the word boondoggle.

15. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Lee you live in Chicago, do you want the games there?

16. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Wait.. Mitt Romney being the be-all-end-all savior of the Olympics meant, back then, that he was qualified and interested in promoting America.

But now it's a horrible corrupt thing to do?

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wait- didn't Hitler have the Olympics too? :rolleyes::D

No- the majority of people don't. But I don't see the fuss over Obama pitching the Games.

18. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

It's understandable that Mr. Steele would have to make these comments lest he risk a leadership power struggle from within his own party over efforts to aggressively present a counterviewpoint.

But he would also do well to remember what the Olympic movement is all about: a temporary truce amongst nations involved, free of politics (or so goes the ideals), to mount the greatest exhibition of athletic competition on Earth. He doesn't have to like or agree with Mr. Obama's views, but he could at least try not to make such comments to derail this nation's tough bid -- or at least hold such comments until after the outcome is known.

19. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The people in the area will have to "live with it." Why do you despise the Olympics.

Nope.

Yeah, Hitler also had a dog.

20. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

When did I say that?? I like to watch them, would want to go sometime. Not sure I would want it in my back yard though.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My money is on Rio getting them anyways, South America has never hosted the Olympics before.

I can't say I'd want them in my city either, it would be a huge clusteryou-know-what. I think Chicago hosting the Olympics would benefit St. Louis and other nearby cities, what with people visiting Chicago wanting to see other cities too and perhaps people who live in Chicago just wanting to get the hell away from the mess, but I wouldn't want the Olympics themselves here.

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Which is exactly why the good cop bad cop routine is so effective here. Steele playing politics to solidify support from opponents of obama with the point of view that pimping chicago is undermining the presidency. And romney saying that it's a worthwhile goal for the sake of america. That's the beauty of being in opposition. You can attack from multiple angles. On issues such as this there is little impetus on displaying a united front.

When they were in sydney I think they were awesome. Wasn't that enthusiastic beforehand but it turned out pretty cool.

23. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

as a chicagoan i do NOT want the Olympics here at all. and while i don't care that Obama wants to go and support the bid, the only reason it bothers me at all is that it strengthens Chicago's chances of getting the games... something i'm opposed to.

the city is in debt already, these massive projects might spur some growth, but in the end we'll end up even more in debt. at best i think it'd end up being a break-even gamble.

24. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes, I would love for Dallas to host them. It would be cool to get to experience that in my backyard.

Yes, but illogical points.

But if private funds (I know that won't happen) paid for them, would you support it?

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's a huge logistical nightmare. Yeah, it's nice to have your city in the international spotlight for a couple weeks, but events like that create a huge mess for people that live there. St. Louis had the MLB All-Star Game this year, and I work downtown a few blocks from Busch Stadium. Luckily, I had the luxury of working from home for those 2 days (home run derby and the game) but others didn't, and the traffic, closed streets, detours, scarce and expensive parking, etc, just created a big problem for them, and I can't even begin to imagine how much worse the Olympics would be. And employers aren't going to let employees off work for 3 weeks just because the Olympics are in town.