Obama's Pastor

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by halfprep455, Mar 14, 2008.

1. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

http://youtube.com/watch?v=c4WMqlfiQKo

I am sure that most of you know that I used to be a big Obama supporter but his eerie connection to this racist idiot is honestly beginning to really trouble me. I am also disturbed that not only has he attended this church for 20 years but the fact that his children attend Sunday school there! I mean this guy is so bad that if you replaced white with black, you would have David Duke! I hate to say it but if Obama can't get himself out of this mess, my support is going to Hillary or McCain!

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You're not voting for his pastor to be President.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Go to their website too and look at their commandments. I wonder if any white people attend the church?

jon

4. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

I'm guessing no

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

6. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

repeat after me: everyone is racist to a certain degree.

you and i may not be the pastor's target audience, but the vid is really not that shocking. i don't know (and really don't care) if jizzus was black and i'm not sure if obama can be considered underprivileged, but the pastor does have some points regarding some social issues. besides, he is really just stating his observations, and is not asking his followers to do harm or attack non-blacks.

looking at your S/N - don't let let the whole PC crap that we may have learned from college run your life. watch penn & teller: ******** - college and you'll see what i mean.

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Indeed, but just in case it ever comes up, keep in mind that when you are publicly and personally associated with a person running for President, you should probably avoid using phrases like "God damn America" while being videotaped unless you really deeply want your friend to fail to win.

I know the older they get, the more people tend to lose the ability to stop whatever they're thinking from tumbling out of their mouths, but you would think this principle might still cross their minds, whether Obama's pastor or Geraldine Ferraro or John McCain.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Obama's already condemned the statements and the guy has already left the campaign. It's not like Ferraro, where she remained on the campaign for awhile after the comments and Hillary took her time to come out against them, only after the proverbial sh*t had hit the fan.

9. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Damn! I was supporting Barak because I can't stand Hillary, and then planned to vote for just about any Republican over any Democrat in the presidential election. With Barak's strong delegate lead, I didn't think there was any fair way that Hill could win the nomination, but now I'm not so sure. I believe this is going to sink Obama but have no idea how it will go down--whether he will withdraw soon or wait until later and be forced out by a massive movement of super-delegates toward Hill. The preacher's rhetoric is very troubling, but what is worse is the fact that Barak actually associates with members of the church congregation who seem to enthusiastically and sincerely agree with this crap. Barak seems too intelligent to want to pursue this mindless drivel for its own sake, so I have to wonder what the draw is for him. It can't be just friendship with his pastor, because that alone wouldn't seem to motivate him to attend regularly, take his kids there, get married in the church, etc. It just doesn't compute...

10. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

“Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s” -- Matthew 22:21

If my pastor ever got up and started preaching preaching politics from the pulpit, I would get up and walk out. Nothing disgusts me more than to see government corrupted by religious fanatics or religion corrupted by political ideologues.

Obama needs to come out and say something, or both Hillary and the GOP will pick at this like an open wound.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

He already has. Gelfin linked to a post with his comments

12. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

I don't think it matters how much Obama denounces this guys comments. There is no way he can erase the fact that he was an active member of this church fo over 20 years and that his children are even members. Theres not a whole lot he can do to change that fact. It may be over for him. Either Clinton will push the issue or even if he does get the nomination, McCain is definitely going to run ads about it.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No, but he was a member of this church for 20 years and his kids are members. Kind of dampers his denouncement. And I was leaning towards voting for him.

Edit: A church, by the way, that gave a Lifetime Achievement Award to Farakkhan.

14. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

15. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I wonder why anyone even cares what his pastor says.

16. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I pray to god that this doesn't affect Obama's chances of becoming president.:( I really want him in the white house - he can do wonders for this country.:cool:

YES WE CAN!!!

^I love it!

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's not what his pastor says. It's that he was an active member of this church for 20 years. To me, that's the equivalent of supporting the pastor's views. If he didn't, why did he stay and have him as an advisor to his campaign?

It took making the pastor's views public for Obama to denounce him. Ah, politics at its finest.

18. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Oh. So the fear is that Obama believes what the pastor had been preaching and thus would screw up our country more than Bush has?

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Nice way to try and divert my point. Bush has nothing to do with this.

The pastor has extreme racist views and has expressed them publicly. Obama has been a member of his church for 20 years and brought him into his campaign. To me, that screams I support him and his views.

I'm sure more will come out of this but Obama has likely lost my vote.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Staying at the church is not supporting the pastor's comments. You don't need to agree with everything he says, and if you changed churches any time the pastor said something controversial, you'd be at a new church each month.

This is nothing. I really think it will blow over in a week and no one will remember it. I'd recommend you check out this schmuck whose been on the campaign trail with McCain for a few times. This makes the pastor's comments seem fairly tame.

21. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Yeah, it was a poor dig at Bush sorry about that.

So besides the HIV stuff and the damning of America what did he say that was actually incorrect?

22. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

What's troublesome is not whether the statements are factual (which I personally don't think they are), but the TONE of the rhetoric. It is just too inflamed and confrontational. Unfortunately, I think it is going to turn off too many voters for him to ever win the presidency, which is why the super-delegates will probably turn away from him even if he wins more regular delegates. I disagree with most of his positions on issues, but I hate to see him taken out this way.

23. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Okay, that makes sense. That is what one of my co-workers said. It isn't so much what he said it was how he said it.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If McCain dares to run ads about this, Obama has only to run ads showing things a man McCain has described as a spiritual advisor, Rod Parsely has said. Not to mention the endorsement of the anti-Catholic (among other things) Rev. Hagee.

Actually, one thing you might stop to ask yourself, is why the words of Obama's pastor are getting so much media play, while the words of McCain's pastor aren't.

Again, what about the pastors that are advising McCain's campaign? Do you care about their inflammatory rhetoric, or is it only when black folks talk that way that you get upset?

From Barack Obama: "If I had heard any of these statements, I probably would have walked up and I probably would have told Reverend Wright that they were wrong,'' Obama, 46, told CNN."

Sounds like you and Obama are on the same page here.

While I realize that nothing Obama says will satisfy someone like you, I would point out that Obama has already "come out and said something". That you have failed to avail yourself of it is not Obama's fault.

Who are you going to vote for? McCain? His pastor has extreme racist views too. Where does that leave you?