Obama's Record So Far:

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fivepoint, Oct 4, 2009.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I thought this clip from SNL would be a humorous way to start a discussion regarding Obama's record so far... Lets talk about where he has succeeded, where he has failed, what he has accomplished and what he has let languish. For the liberals out there, has BO lived up to your expectations for the first year? (really it's only been about 9 months) For the conservatives, have you been pleased with the 'change' BO has attempted to push through?

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/clips/obama-address/1163263/

For those of you who don't want to watch the video, here's the list provided by SNL.
    Close Guantanamo Bay. No.
    Out of Iraq. No.
    Improve Afghanistan. No.
    Health Care Reform. No.
    Global Warming. No.
    Immigration Reform. No.
    Gays in the Military. No.
    Limits on Executive Powers. No.
    Torture Prosecutions. No.
    Helped Japan sell more cars. Yes.
    Killed a Fly on TV. Yes.

The two big accomplishments he claims? "Jack, and squat." :)

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean "Improve" Afghanistan is not really easy to judge.

Gitmo seems to be getting closed, even if they have no clue when it will be finished.
    The only thing I could care about him not doing in the first nine months is DADT, given that that is one of the only issues he could solve "overnight."

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

So this "news" is based on Saturday Night Live ? A comedy show ?

4. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Where did I claim it was news? I claimed it to be a 'humorous way to start a discussion regarding Obama's record so far.' Suggestion: read before you react.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

OT, but that's the saddest presidential impersonation SNL has put forth in decades.... :rolleyes:

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Then we've still accomplished more in 9 months then we did in the past 8 years. What can I say, being at a stand-still is still better then going backwards
    :rolleyes:

On an unrelated note, did anyone see Capitalism - A Love story? It makes me dislike the dems & GOP even more!

7. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

As a fiscal conservative, I'd have to say that my biggest dissapointment with the Obama administration, although not a surprise, is their unprecedented spending binge and seeming non-shaulant attitude towards spending our money and our children's future on entitlement programs today.

For frame of reference, the 2008 deficit under big-government big-spender Bush (no sarcasm), was the largest in history at the time: $459 B. CBO's estimate of Obama's 2009 deficit: $1,845 B.

The cumulative deficit in Bush's first seven years (2001-2007): $1.5 trillion. CBO's estimate of Mr. Obama's first seven deficits (2009-2015): $7.1 trillion.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I did read. Before you edited the post.;)

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I've never been a fan of saturday night live. Some stuff is funny but I've never really got it. I think it might translate poorly outside of america. A lot of the writing and delivery seems really forced. Which I don't really feel when watching british comedy for instance.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Which leads to my point.

A little over 9 years ago, GWB told everyone at the RNC that he was going to restore 'honor and dignity' to the White House. In fact, he won the election on that (and suing his opponent). So we let him and left to his devices to restore 'honor and dignity' to the White House. 8 years later, not only has he failed to do that, but he dragged this country into 3 different recessions, spent tons of money on a useless war, bailed out 3 banks with no oversight into how the money was spent, and turned a government surplus into a multibillion dollar deficit.

And worst of all, all of it was done over his entire 8 year period. Yet those right-wing (neo)conservatives expect Obama to fulfill all of his promises within the first 8 - 9 months of his term, and even now, they are calling him a failure. 9 months versus 8 years.

The right have no sense of delayed gratification, and are pathetic because they couldn't get the job done themselves over 8 years. They don't even deserve the moniker of 'GOP'; they lost that after Reagan.

BL.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

SNL is just bad. not funny anymore and hasn't been for years.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In politics, some of their Sarah Palin stuff with Tina Fey and some of their McCain and Hilary Clinton stuff was funny during the election... this, I don't think was an issue of translation -- this was just bad -- it wasn't a compelling parody of Obama's speaking style, etc. Most of their really good political parodies hinge on picking up on one or two really funny things a politician does and amplifying them. Like the "Thousand Points of Light" and "Read My Lips" moments and a few others for George H. W. Bush, and so on. But the problem here is that if he weren't sitting in the Oval Office, you wouldn't know that the actor was pretending to be Obama at all.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Even though their best years are behind them, I still Tivo it. Always good for a few laughs. This year, I haven't laughed once. Just terrible.

14. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Yeah it is, The Taliban smell blood and fear and so are ramping up to make Obama run like a dog with his tail between his legs.

Bets are he will.

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What has changed? Is it the writing or are the newer comedians just not up to scratch?

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The celebrity family feud skit was decent last night.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Saturday Night Live is still on? :eek: Who watches it? That show hasn't been good since the original cast. And yes, I did watch the original cast when it aired.

19. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

People have been saying that since the second season.

It's always been hit and miss.

20. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The list could just as well have come from any major daily newspaper. This clown has made himself look bad at every opportunity, whether it has to do with his silly shtick during the campaign or his doings while in office. Bad enough he played the race card during the Prof. Gates brouhaha, and now he's made himself look foolish with the trip to Denmark at the behest of his goodbuddy Daley.

The GM/Chrysler debacle, the clunkercash thing, the ongoing bank bailiout nonsense, hey, the list is near-endless. He's even working hard to raise the cost of living, what with his hostility toward the energy industry and the carbon-tax deal. His income tax ideas will have a serious negative impact, as well.

What's not to laugh at?

And if Bush was so dumb/stupid/bad, how come the Big O is continuing or even doing moreso of the same dumb/stupid/bad stuff? How smart is that?

'Rat

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No coffee today? You're posts are usually quite level headed without having to resort to name calling and boiling down complex situations to the point where they no longer resemble reality. I love the broad generalizations with no explanations as well :rolleyes:

22. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I'm pretty sure his signature is from Revelations and is seems to be referring to Obama's "Czars" (most of which have been around for a long time) .

EDIT:
    Err nvm. I would have swore there was a line like that in Rev. but I googled the phrase and it's in the Dec of Independence. Guess that's what I get for not doing my research. ;)

My point stands.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Income tax ideas? You mean like letting the tax cuts on the rich lapse? Why would that be negative? It's not. Those cuts did nothing that conservatives claimed they would. No big surprise there though. Trickle down has never worked.

And how is the GM/Chrysler thing a a debacle again?

And ya know- who needs a clean environment? :rolleyes:

24. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

So many of the anti-environment crowd are soft. Surrounded by their amenities, they've grown fat. Without the environment to sustain them, they're weak, slow… tender. And then there's people like me. Young, strong, trained, with just enough teeth for the job.

I am the monster under the bed, do you really want to turn out the lights?