Obama's speech in Berlin

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I can sum it up in one word: "Wow."

I haven't seen yet any news coverage of how this speech was received internationally, but I'm betting it played like gangbusters.

If Obama wanted to run for President of Earth right now, I think he'd have a lot of supporters.

Check out the crowd that showed up to hear his speech:

[​IMG]

And his speech was about as elegant and uplifting as anything I've ever heard. Here he is speaking about the construction of the Berlin Wall:

How positively soaring that rhetoric is...and in both his speaking style and his ideals, how unlike the current occupant of the Oval Office he is!

Of course, Obama's speech -- and his whole trip -- is just frustrating the bejeezus out of Republicans. McCain, the one who goaded him to take this trip in the first place, is now criticizing him constantly for taking it -- and I'm sorry, he's coming across as a bitter old man.

But the dumbest was Rush Limbaugh, who played a little bit of the speech live on his radio show today, and did his own MST3K-style running commentary while Obama spoke. All Rush did was reveal that he just does not "get it" at all. Another angry, bitter man.

So, what is your take on the speech?

Full text

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I watched it live, as I do most of his stuff (or later on YT). He's a leader of men.

There are a lot of things I don't agree with him on politically but he's someone that I've put my faith in him to sort out the **** we're in.

It'd be nice to have a man that wants to earn the respect of the international community by his actions.

3. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

I saw part of the speech earlier. He is an astounding speaker, and spot on about US-EU relations too. I think he will blow McCain away in the televised debates and so on in november time.
    Do strong international ties go down well with american voters?

I look forward to seeing what he discusses with Gordon Brown and David Cameron this weekend.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think the best thing was that McCain countered Obama's Germany trip by making a campaign stop at Schmidt's Sausage Haus in German Village in Ohio. I guess if Obama goes to Italy next, you might be able to catch a McCain speech at your local Olive Garden.

5. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Obama will probably tell Cameron to be more careful where he locks his bike up.

6. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Is he doing a public speech (a la Berlin) in London?

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I was expecting Barack to be well received on his trip, but WOW! Drawing over 200,000 rabid fans, in a foreign capital, must be some kind of record for a US Presidential candidate. I know that JFK also drew huge audiences in Germany, but he was President. (one of the most moving moments in my young life, was seeing Berliners, standing in the rain, on every street, singing, and mourning his death.

So far on this trip, for Barack it has surpassed the wildest expectations anyone could imagine. In many ways, he reminds me of the way JFK began to drag us out of the McCarthy/Cold War era. He inspires and is restoring hope. McCain keeps trying to emulate him, and garner the same enthusiasm for his campaign. But, he is failing miserably at it. He has not figured out, intelligent people can spot the real deal.

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That little factoid made me laugh.

9. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

And what the hell does that mean? How is rhetoric about hope, change, and inspiration going to balance our budget?

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

:)

Obama has good speaking abilities. That much is certain.

As we get closer to the election, it will really be interesting to see the details of his policies.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The same way that 'straight talk' does.

Let's accept the reality that for much of this election we're not going to see dense policy debates. And, Berlin isn't the venue for discussing how to balance the US federal budget, so I think it's unreasonable to level this as a critique of Obama.
    Now, if he engages in the same kind of happy talk during a policy debate then you may fire away.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Do you think we can borrow him? I don't fancy either of our choices come the next General Election :rolleyes:

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good point.

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No, but you can have Hillary. :p

15. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Maybe, you could try using some of your analytical reasoning to answer that for yourself?

16. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Just watched all 25 minutes of his speech and agree with the one word summary "WOW"

Now, forget about his amazing ability to woo a crowd and listen to the contents of the speech. I was perfect, hit the nail on the head and shows that there will be a major change in American foreign policy.

Only 99 days till I land in America for the election :D now just need to find a party to go to on the 4th to watch the results come in and see America elect a leader that the world can believe in.

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

It's not the disappointment it's the hope I can't stand.

18. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

:p

No, sadly, just private meetings.

19. takao macrumors 68040

takao

and the TV coverage in german TV was overwhelming .. it started like hours before the speech .. one could have thought he was running for office in germany

the last time a german politician draw that much people for a speech was Helmut Kohl on his campaign for re-unification

article
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,567932,00.html

opinion: "No. 44 has spoken"
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,567919,00.html

reactions of politicians
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,567926,00.html

edit: if the Democrats don't win this election then they are complete idiots

20. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Let us hope that in a few years time we will still be able to look back at these events with fond memories… and not sadly, disillusioned.

"But westward, look, the land is bright."

21. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

It's official, Obama wanted Germany to win the war. It must be because he's a Muslim.

22. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

That's why you should vote for McCain, he's really good at Economics. Wait, no he isn't. Wait, yes he is. Wait, no he isn't.

And so on and so forth.

23. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

It was a perfect 'horses for courses' speech, being internationalist and apologetic for the Bush regime. It was just what us Europeans wanted to hear.

Personally, I found the speech to be disappointing with a few highlights. He reminds me of Mr Anthony Blair circa 1996 - young, long on the rhetoric and not the incumbent.

24. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oddly, aside from envious Republicans, the only criticism of Obama seems to be coming from the German press (and a few politicians). One or two of the media complained that the speech was not particularly impressive (?!), but the biggest lament was that, reading between the lines, Obama's internationalism included calling for more European troops to help in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Ya know what, though? In spite of Bush having pissed off many of our allies, Obama just might be able to make that happen.

I don't know if that's completely fair. Not that the Democrats aren't capable of screwing up, but if Obama should somehow -- I can hardly say it -- lose, I'd blame the electorate first. This is not a country where a lot of voters make their decision based on things like reason.

BTW, great minds think alike. I checked out Der Spiegel last night too. I loved that "#44 Has Spoken" headline. And I find it amusing that foreign conservative politicians are panning Obama with the same resentful brio as their American counterparts.

25. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    No, its worst than that. Obama spoke repeatedly about "unity" and seemed to pose himself as an advocate for some kind of one world government ideology. Say hello to the Amero and "Super-NAFTA", people! Finally, Obama's NAFTA-loving ways are revealed in the light of day. It was about time for him to slip-up to the MSM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H65f3q_Lm9U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kjsy2Z3kdI
    I'm still trying to make a final list of the 7 states Obama has planned for joining the American Union, by decoding his speeches. His 57 state gaff was well documented but widely misunderstood as an idle mistake. I urge everyone caught up in the rhetoric to listen to the speech again, for Obama's CFR encoded message. The MSM thinks the speech was only targetted at Berlin and domestic voters here in the U.S. Word is, Obama has already been vetted. He may well be the anti-christ.

~ CB

Attached Files: