Obama's too smart for his audience (at least, according to THIS guy)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Can this guy Payack possibly be right? Is an America that has been informed so long by the right wing media now so totally stupid that Obama's speech was too professorial, too blunt for them?

I'd hate to think that. I'm more inclined to believe that this guy is a pompous jerk. If you saw the speech -- a nice, tight 18 minute talk -- Obama defined the problem frankly, laid out what has been done and what needs to be done, and assured us that we will conquer this problem just as we've conquered other problems. What was Obama supposed to do? Talk down to us? Put a little cowboy swagger into it? Get Jeff Foxworthy to write his speech for him?

Shame on you, CNN, for wasting the electricity and pixels to suggest that politicians should dumb down their language for us poor, stupid citizens.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

This explains why America was stupid enough to elect him in the first place. :p

3. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Lol

""A little less professorial, less academic and more ordinary," Payack recommended. "That's the type of phraseology that makes you (appear) aloof and out of touch.""

Maybe, just maybe he talks like that because he is an aloof, out of touch, professorial academic?

Just sayin'

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It appears they are trying to extend an algorithm to figure out the grade reading level of a set piece of writing to whether people will comprehend speech. It doesn't work that way to my knowledge as even illiterate people or those at a first grade reading level can often comprehend speech.

The only fail here is this article, I am glad you got your quip in on the right wing media aka fox, as if MSNBC or CNN caters to a more intelligent audience.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I know, right? There was a strong pot-calling-kettle-black (or pot-calling-kettle-Barack, as the case may be) tenor to that article.

OTOH, this is stuff that speech writers do look at. It has nothing to do with Fox News or anyone else "dumbing" anyone down. The reality is that there are limitations in the "average" person's ability to process longer sentences, deal with bigger words, and so on. Those limitations do affect the way a speech is heard.

Overall, meh. The only thing the President has really said on this topic that is of substance, in my mind, is a call to use the oil spill as a motivation to engage in a real national plan of decreased oil dependence. But just like the statements calling for a sea change in how we do things from past Presidents had to have an actual legislative move to go along with them, this one is of questionable meaning until the government actually puts together a plan to decrease our oil dependence.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If Americans are too stupid to understand something written to a 9.8 grade level (so, say 10th grade) then that doesn't say much about our country, does it? What would they rather him say? "Rig go boom. Lot of oil in water. Fishy die." Would the morons in this country understand that?

Obama might be more intelligent than most of the people who voted for him, but that's not really saying that much to be honest. Obama's politics are targeting the lesser educated amongst us, using simplistic populist ideas that will get his ignorant base worked up. An example of this is demonizing banks, wall street and now most recently BP, in a cheap attempt to divert criticism from himself and his administration.

Even George Bush had a higher readability score than Obama, when comparing State of the Union Speeches. The left likes to talk about how dumb Bush was. What can we then conclude about Obama?

Obama's State of the Union Speech had a readability score for an average 8th grader - two grades lower than George W. Bush's Addresses and the historical average for modern presidents.

Obama's State of the Union Speech received one of the lowest scores ever out of any US President.

However, a Smart Politics analysis of nearly 70 oral State of the Union Addresses since the mid-1930s finds the text of Obama's speech on Wednesday evening to have one of the lowest scores on the Flesch-Kincaid readability test ever recorded by a U.S. President.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/cspg/smartpolitics/2010/01/professor_obama_presidents_sta.php

8. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

??

Is it just me, or is Black MacBook really InTheNet?

You're not the first one to mention it. And like I've told the others who were completely wrong - - - - no I am not this "inthenet" person, and I have no idea who it is.

"Inthenet" sounds like a smart dude though, since people keep thinking that I'm him.
    :)

10. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  11. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

This sentence is clear, precise and coherent. I cannot identify anything about it that I would call "professorial" or even remotely complex. I suppose this means I am (unsurprisingly) aloof and out of touch.

Could somebody who actually sees something wrong with this sentence attempt to rewrite it in language appropriate to whatever target audience Payack might have in mind? Particularly people who are sympathetic to the argument, because if I try myself I am guaranteed to turn out something patronizing, and I honestly do not understand what he is getting at.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yo, we got a hole in the ground spewing black stuff. Send in the lab coats and get me a dr. pepper.

13. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Lol

Reid forgot to tell him to turn his negro dialect back on :D

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You thought this was a good idea to post?

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Perhaps we need to replace the stars on our flag with a facepalm or maybe a pic of Snookie.

16. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Yep

Absolutely!

Whats even more astonishing is that our senate majority leader thought it was a good thing to say :confused:

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's not a constructive thing for anyone to say.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Never actually knew Reid put his foot that far down his throat.

I guess we settled the debate on whether there are racists on both sides. :eek:

Didn't you get the memo? Liberals can't possibly be racist.
    :D

20. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Lol

I never said it was constructive. I just found it pretty hilarious. So I said it!

As far as situational comedy goes, I would liken it to pure gold. IMOHO

You can choose to be offended if you like

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

As an attorney, I have represented every type of person imaginable. When deciding to put someone on the stand or not, I have had discussions with the clients about how they speak. Some sound ghetto. Some sound like they are gang members. Some have white trash issues. Some have tattoos. Some have mexican problems. To be effective, it is necessary to deal with reality. Barack Obama is black, and clearly there are a bunch of racists in this country, and Reid is a party leader, and must deal with the realities of his party running a black man for president.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the meetings when Mike Steele was elected as party leader. Can you even imagine those conversations.

22. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

right...

I fully understand that. I am well aware that Reid is (probably) not a racist.

I am also aware that a conservative saying the exact same thing about him would not have gotten a pass.

Reid was chastised as being "out-of-touch" because of his use of the old word "negro".

23. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Yeah, that's somewhere in the neighborhood of the patronizing thing I was avoiding posting, but I'm actually a little bit serious:

Is there anyone reading this thread who finds that sentence challenging in any way?

If yes, would you please rewrite it in a way you would find comfortable, understandable and appropriate for a Presidential speech?

If no, is there any reason I should not conclude that Payack is full of six kinds of ****?

24. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

It's not challenging. I dont know about the nuances of presidential speech writing, but in advertising, we write for the lowest common denominator. Remember, as of 2007, only 68% of high schoolers had graduated in 4 years.

""That is why just after the rig sank, I assembled a team of our nation's best scientists and engineers to tackle this challenge -- a team led by Dr. Steven Chu, a Nobel Prize-winning physicist and our nation's secretary of energy." "

Right after the rig sank, I formed a team of the best scientists and engineers to fix the leak. The leader of the team is Dr. Steven Chu, Secretary of Energy and Nobel Prize Winner.

That's my best guess.

This whole thread reeks of Idiocracy.
    "Carls Jr: **** you, I'm eating!"

25. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

In The Net is you with a healthy does of religious zealotry and since you have called those who believe in god/superstition stupid and primitive what does that say about you?