Obama's VP?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Jun 3, 2008.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

My dad called me today and he was told by the Bureau Cheif at NBC that it's quite possible that Obama may be choosing Hillary Clinton to be his running mate tonight. It hasn't been confirmed obviously but the chances are very high.

For those of you who don't know, my dad works for NBC. That's how he got the info.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I hope not. She brings nothing to the ticket and deserves NOTHING after the way she conducted herself and her campaign

3. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Didn't the Obama campaign rebuff her hinting towards this?

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I don't think the U.S. is ready for two break-throughs on the same ticket.

It will play right into McCain's hands.

5. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Obama should choose either Edwards or Clinton to be his running mate. Personally I think it will be an unbeatable ticket.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's also quite possible Hillary will suspend her campaign tonight. It's also quite possible Hillary will soldier on after tonight. A lot of things are possible. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, my gut tells me it's a long shot.

Seriously, what does she offer to the ticket?

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Personally I think Jim Webb would be a much stronger choice than either of those two, although I'd be loathe to see that create another open seat in the Senate.

8. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

I doubt it. It would bring the Clinton supporters into the fold — but however much they may bluster, only a minority would ever seriously voting for McCain, so the benefit is negligible. The way she's conducted herself in this campaign — the recent evoking of RFK's assassination, her Bosnia sniper comments, the 'female candidate' exploitation, and the chaos of her campaign make her a liability in any race, let alone as a VP candidate. She doesn't have anything Obama can't provide himself — and party unity is nice but can be had without her cooperation, quite frankly.

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

NO, **** THAT.

That would be the worst idea ever.

Hillary needs to disappear from politics completely.

Richardson, Edwards, Dodd, Webb would all be solid choices.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- she slimed herself. It would be a huge mistake at this point. McCain would have a field day as the GOP has been preparing to slaughter her from day one. She gave them tons of ammo with her campaign too.

11. Queso macrumors G4

Webb or Edwards are the two I was thinking of. I don't think Clinton would be a good choice, although it could be forced on Obama by the Superdelegates as a condition of their backing.

We'll know soon enough.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'd personally like to see Richardson or Edwards on the ticket, although i know the latter likely won't take it. Webb isn't bad so i could deal with that too.

Clinton offers absolutely nothing to the campaign if she were to be his running mate.

13. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i'm for either bill richardson or kathleen sebelius. richardson makes sense for all the old school reasons (balanced ticket, geography, demographics, experience), but sebelius would present a real "change" ticket - she delivers on his promise of a new kind of politics, but doesn't really carry much in the way of standard VP benefits.

that said, i don't think vp ever brings as much as people think they do. bush i won with quayle, kerry lost with edwards. it's all about the name on top. in other words, obama should do whatever the hell he wants.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

First of all the first black man and woman ticket would be way to much overload for America. Second nobody likes Hillary outside of her little group.

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

seems like he would want to celebrate for a bit and then make a bit of a show of carefully considering the matter first

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Time to allow That Woman to lick her wounds, and for some salve to be applied to the Party's nicks and cuts.

If That Damn Woman will put her salt-shaker away.

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That Black man and female ticket is just what this country needs and will be a magnet.

Dems over Pubs 60-40

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

But not that female. She is divisive, corrupt and hated by Democrats, Independents and Republicans

19. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

She's not likely to concede tonight. Every possible eventuality is running through the rumor mill, but I think this one is farfetched.

First she has to concede and suspend her campaign. Then she has to endorse him. Then they need to sit down and talk (which I'm sure they haven't done in quite that way yet--there would have probably been a leak).

I doubt Obama's made his decision on a running mate. He's got time to make it and he'll take at least a little bit of that time to meet with potential candidates. I mean, McCain's still some distance from a decision, and look how long he's had to shop around. Just because the news runs on a 24-hour cycle, it doesn't mean that those 24 hours are always going to be filled with something new.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You tweaked my interest, so for me, and others around the World, I give you Kathleen Sebelius. :D

A little more from Wiki.

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I here people say this, but how many sexist/racist are going to vote democrat to start with?

Basicly, I saw screw racism and sexism. Clinton and Obama are both great, and if there gonna run together, great way to bring the party together.

22. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Even if your hypothesis were true, my question is this...Does that sexist/racist effect hurt us down ticket in areas that Obama/Clinton wouldn't have won, but where the level of Democratic presidential support has effects on the outcome of Congressional races? That is, getting 30% instead of 40% might not matter for the Presidential race in the South, but it could matter for the Congressional candidates we have running down there who are on the bubble.

That's horse race, though. I'm not crazy about Hillary Clinton, but it would be refreshing to see the US get past these two ridiculous glass ceilings in one election--and finally start to catch up to the rest of the democratic world in asserting that it is truly possible for any citizen to aspire to the highest office in the land.

23. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

There may not be many who would vote democratic, but there are a lot of Republicans who don't like McCain and weren't planning on coming out to vote for him but if Clinton's name is on the ticket there is nothing better to get the Republicans who were not planning to vote out to vote for McCain in November.

Also I think Clinton getting out and campaigning for Obama would do just as much to bring the party back together.

24. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Clinton doesn't bring anything geographically to the ticket, Obama will win NY anyway. Maybe she could deliver Arkansas but the Clinton name on a ticket will energize a lot of the GOP who see CLINTON and will do whatever it takes to keep them out of office again.

Sure it would be a quick band-aid to get her supporters on board with an Obama candidacy but I think if she campaigns for him the same can be accomplished with a running mate that might appeal more to conservatives and southerners. While not energizing those in the GOP who are not enthused about McCain.

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Whatever credibility Obama has, he would destroy the instant he took Clinton as his running mate. Yeah, the Hillarians would be pleased, but the Republicans would eat her up alive and spit her out. After her bizarre campaign, she's got tons of new baggage that she never had before (and believe me, she had enough before!).

This does present a dilemma for Obama, because to ameliorate the Clintonistas, he's going to have to select someone that they would approve of.