Oberlin College Students Want Below-Average Grades Abolished, Midterms Replaced with Conversations

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jdillings, May 26, 2016.

1. jdillings macrumors 65816

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Hope the administration tells them to go pound sand.

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

And I thought my ramblings were all over the map. That article wastes no time into rambling, farther out of the park than anything I'd have done. Apparently only progressives drop out. Apparently the market is beyond critique. Not much is said about the college campus - what is the real hell going on to make them fall apart? For the ****-loads of money involved, surely the school has some responsibilities? Of course, refunds are out of the question no matter what stunts they pull and Obama's administration hasn't begun to step into a truly dire situation, despite Tom Harkin's research from 2014 showing how big of a problem things are and it's not all due to "namby pamby students".

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

They saw the Missou President practically pillory himself upon student demand. How empowering!! So Oberlin is going for broke and getting the change it really wants. Totally flattened requirements aligned with their participation trophys of years past.

6. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Or their own, nice assumptions you posit, but I otherwise agree with you. I'd seen that attitude at the college I went to. Not from apparently nearly as many kids...

Maybe they will return the grants and scholarships and freebies and give it to those who earned mostly "A" grades, regardless of the school inflated grades or otherwise. America needed to be competitive hence cajoling the need, which also raised the value since college as such still has no competition based on what the companies say that want.

So sorry for injecting my own assumptions - sometimes those articles seem a little bit one-sided and loaded, even if there is truth to it and I am not discounting that.
    --- Post Merged, May 26, 2016 ---
    Anything to rake in the bucks, without demand the supply is pointless. The college I went to said the same thing, how the school progressed depended on what the students wanted - yup, the students that know nothing and pay ****-loads of money to learn what companies want should be telling the school how the school should be ran instead of the school having competent people and updated equipment considering the costs...

7. FieldingMellish Suspended

The future of America is in good hands. :rolleyes: Meanwhile, I thought it was sex drugs and rock n roll that would cause America to disintegrate.

8. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Sex, drugs and rock and roll made America great :D

9. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

10. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

My department chair gets after me if I have a lecture class where the average is higher than a C...

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I don't care about midterms. I don't regard them as the best metric by any means.

Force these professors to actually get to know their students, strengths, critical thinking ability and aptitude. Far more important than speaking for ten minutes, relying on overpriced text books, and then using some midterm to do your job for you.

12. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

this student here saying "she is tired of learning about blahblahblah.." is dumb. why not drop the class and take a more interesting class? i agree college should be a transformative period.

but to all you guys who seem to be "against" below average grades...you don't know what grades have become now. as a recent college graduate, grade deflation at many institutions is a thing. so is grade inflation. when applying for jobs or grad/professional school, people are looked at based on their GPA. but comparing GPAs from different schools is wholly unfair. especially when certain schools (e.g. harvard/yale/brown/duke) have an AVERAGE GPA of 3.5-3.7 (A-). compared to other institutions (such as MIT, princeton, uchicago, berkeley, cornell) who grade on a curve. (for example the average GPA of EECS or MCB at berkeley is around a 2.8)

Getting a higher GPA at any of the latter schools (especially in a STEM field), is more impressive (in my opinion as someone who has gone through it) than at the latter schools. So I get the point of "abolishing" below average grades, although that does seem to be an extreme.

13. Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

Only the rich ones are wasting their parents' money. Most of these kids are wasting taxpayers' money, amassing impossible student-loan burdens which the left is already laying the groundwork to nationalize and pass on to us.

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The students should be careful what they wish for. Individualized attention is generally a good thing, but, I recall one professor who gave everyone an individual conversational exam. The conversation did not tend towards those things that you knew quite well.

15. Admiral, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016

Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

Many of these kids could benefit from individualized attention at Parris Island, or from a Chief Boatswain's Mate in the fleet.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

As someone who graduated fairly recently and works at a blue chip tech company I can tell you that no one gives two ***** about your GPA compared to what you have worked on and what you have accomplished.

17. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

May be true for industry, but that's definitely not the case for grad school or professional school.

18. Admiral, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016

Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

I'm an employer, in professional services. While I do go out of my way to look for talent from non-traditional sources (lower-ranked state universities, the military, blue-collar work, etc.), because that's where I come from, I also have already internalized the lesson of avoiding altogether certain elite sources. I hate to say it, but I will not hire any black or Hispanic graduates from non-engineering departments of any Ivy League or peer-level university, and am leery of women from those institutions as well. Too many bad hires who were undertalented, over-entitled, and did nothing but cause trouble. After a while you get sick of that and learn to avoid it. No student-government types, no ethnic-association Presidents, no "human rights" interns. Give me a smart former Marine corporal who went to Southwest Northastern State College and then "University Of" graduate school, though, and I know I'm getting someone reliable.

But Oberlin? Oberlin graduates are a lawsuit waiting for me. No thanks.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

20. Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

21. FieldingMellish Suspended

In business there's no time for nonsense from entitlement minded know it alls. Especially those who are trained and then set free to back talk and tell professors to go stuff it. There's stress in business. There are winners and losers. Business wants those that can hack it and persevere and roll with the punches.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Better stop the kid from the 1% getting jobs then...

23. Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

These kids don't talk back to the professors. They parrot whatever the professor tells them, sitting raptly as the math professor rails on and on about Bush and Cheney (especially Cheney), and the racist, imperialist war machine. They take copious notes in English literature class about how the Constitution is institutionalized violence, and spit it out verbatim at exam time so that they can be assured of the grades they "deserve". But you know who they do tell to stuff it? Potential employers. In interviews. In job interviews they think they're here to rescue us. It's really quite astonishing.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I really don't believe any of this stuff actually happens.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd love to have a conversation with these snowflakes. It would go something like this.

Me: I'm sorry that low grades and tests are ruining your safe space in college. I'd suggest you grow the **** up and grow a pair. Have a nice day.