Oberlin College to pay bakery $11M+22M after their SJW mobs devastate business

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solver, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Solver macrumors 6502a

Oberlin College in Ohio will have to pay a nearby bakery more than $11 million in damages because it libeled the store, tagging it as racist, and interfered with its business, a jury said on Friday.”

“The jury found the school and Oberlin's vice president and dean of students, Meredith Raimondo, guilty of libel after Raimondo allegedly helped pass out flyers claiming that the bakery was "racist" and had a history of "racial profiling and discrimination."

The jury also found that the college (not Raimondo) was guilty of intentional infliction of emotional distress for the owner, David Gibson, as well as libel and intentional infliction of emotional distress on his son.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ob...er-11-m-after-accusing-it-of-racial-profiling

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The printed posters did them in... probably could have got away with their standard screaming outside the store and scaring the customers.

hope the family cuts the school a break and settles for 7-8 million and moves away from that hatred.

3. Solver, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019

Solver thread starter macrumors 6502a

More is expected to be awarded.

“Punitive damage phase to start next Tuesday, which could increase the damages to $33 million.”

“First, from the start of this case I have questioned the aggressive and demeaning attacks on the Gibsons as a defense strategy. There is no evidence that the Gibsons did anything wrong, unless you consider stopping people from stealing something wrong. That lawful act of protecting one’s property nonetheless has devastated a 5-generation business because of Oberlin College racial politics. Gibson’s Bakery survived two World Wars, the Depression, the turmoil of the 1960s, and the so-called Great Recession, but it may not survive Oberlin College’s social justice warriors and their faculty and administrative enablers. If the jury understands this, the other pieces of the case fall into line, factually and legally.

Second, I never cease to be amazed at the arrogance of the college community as reflected in the defense that Gibson’s Bakery was close to worthless. It’s the arrogance of the credentialed. A business that is in its 5th generation, and that currently supports three of those generations, is something of value. A business that employed almost a dozen local employees prior to this incident is something to value. Ultimately the jury will have to put a monetary value on the dramatic drop in business, and the loss of reputation of the individuals, but to demean the business the way was done is maddening.”

https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/...s-bakery-11-million-against-oberlin-college/#

Go woke, go broke.

4. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I was amazed at the college's defense argument at the trial.

The college said that they were only watching over the student's safety and right to protest during the protest.

I wonder if the college or the college's lawyer thought up that defense.

5. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

There was a story similar to this about a Chipotle employee who was falsely accused of being racist:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...ehired-fired-manager-customers-accused-racism

Story was very similar. Young black men behaving badly, then they cry "racism" when the employee tries to do something about it. And of course the internet goes apesh*t and jumps on the "racism" bandwagon. Seems clear to me that these guys know that if they cry "racism", the internet (or in this case, a college) will be on their side without any context.

6. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

This is the first I heard about this, but it is a crazy story.

That is fit the demographics of Oberlin.

I hope the bakery can get even more $$$$, it is ridiculous that they were put through this bull crap in the first place.

The shopkeeper is physically assaulted by the students, then the bakery is accused of being racist. Then you have a small business having to take on a huge institution. I am happy it worked out for them, and hopefully it will prevent this kind of stuff from happening in the future, but I doubt it.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 9, 2019 ---
    I didn't see this one either.

It is absolutely horrible what happen to this poor woman. I really hope that Chipotle offered her a raise to come back.

While what happen to the manager was horrible, hopefully there is a lesson that other businesses can learn and not be so quick to punish their employees for stuff just based off of outrage from social media....

7. Carnegie macrumors 6502a

Can someone familiar with this case lay out what Oberlin College is alleged to have done?

I'm trying to understand what it did which could possibly be the basis of a (successful) libel claim.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/09/us/oberlin-college-bakery-lawsuit/index.html I'm not sure if this clarifies. It seems the College backed the students' claims of discrimination (even though it appears they were attempting to obtain alcohol illegally), allowed or condoned organized boycotts and protests of the business, as well as suspending official commercial ties with them...whether those offenses warrant the verdict, I'm not really sure...

9. Solver thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Must be Ohio schools.

Two summers ago my daughter went to one of Miami (OH) University's summer camps. These are two week camps designed to immerse students in classes based on their field of study. These two weeks cost $1500.

My daughter knew immediately she did not want to go to this college when one of the exercises in a class was to write down all the things that make you "privileged". My daughter, who is her father's daughter, wrote she is privileged because her parents can afford to send her to a $1500 camp with a bunch of other privileged kids considering a $50K/yr school. Not really what they were looking for. :D

Tuition at Oberlin is $74K/yr.

11. Solver thread starter macrumors 6502a

We should all feel privileged after all we could’ve been born newts. I wonder if one day newts will demand reparations from our descendants?

12. chown33 macrumors 604

Nope. It'll be the other way around.

Trust me. I was once turned into a newt. Then I got worse.

Being a newt is way better than being a human. Except for the opposable-thumb thing.

13. Zenithal macrumors G3

I agree with the verdict. Colleges shouldn't be held to what their students do outside of school aside from punishment if it breaks any rules or looks bad. The minute the dean stepped in and helped this movement is the moment they were screwed.

14. Solver thread starter macrumors 6502a

15. Carnegie macrumors 6502a

Thanks.

I've since found the complaint and some other filings and read them. I'd qualify what I'm about to say by stating that I don't know what evidence (other than that alluded to in the filings I read) might have come out at trial. It's possible that some especially damning stuff came out.

That said, based on the pleadings, the legal case for libel against the college was pretty weak. Even giving the plaintiffs the benefit of the doubt as to the facts they alleged, there wasn't much there there. I surely hope they had more, or else this decision is quite troubling - though, only to an extent as I would expect it to be overturned (at least when it comes to some counts) on appeal. If Oberlin College can (ultimately) be held liable for defamation based on what (I can see that) it's alleged to have done in this case, then our free speech protections will have taken a blow.

It seems to me that the plaintiffs, if they could identify particular actors who made actually defamatory assertions, should have sued individuals rather than the college (to include, perhaps, the dean which they did sue). But I suppose that wouldn't have made as big a statement as suing the college did, nor would it have been as likely to result in as large a verdict as they might get against the college. And the plaintiffs probably just didn't want to be seen suing a bunch of students; that might have seemed a less sympathetic course.

When it comes to the college, and when it comes to the defamation claims, the plaintiffs were essentially arguing that the college was liable for what it failed to do - e.g., for failing to prevent some students and some employees from expressing certain views and for failing to satisfactorily (in the plaintiffs' minds) refute the assertions made by others. That's all kinds of problematic. The college doesn't have a legal responsibility to refute the claims of others, even if those claims were defamatory.

But in this case, I don't even see where the claims made by others could be considered defamatory. They're more in line with what, for purposes of defamation law, would be considered opinions. They aren't verifiable facts which could be proven to be wrong. Characterizing someone or someone's actions as racist is an expression of opinion. What it means to be racist is different for different people. It seems that this isn't a new thing with this bakery. Rightly or wrongly, some have been of the opinion that it - or its employees or owners - have behaved racistly. (I have insufficient bases on which to assess whether it has or not.) Others can disagree with that opinion, but those holding it have the right to express it. That's protected speech.

16. Solver, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019

Solver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oberlin College’s identity crisis led to its Gibson’s Bakery train wreck

“Instead of realizing that college students often do emotional and stupid things – especially when politics are involved – the Oberlin College administration added fuel to the fire. This is what the school president, Marvin Krislov, and dean of students, Meredith Raimondo, sent to students while the protests were still going on.

“This has been a difficult few days for our community, not simply because of the events at Gibson’s Bakery, but because of the fears and concerns that many are feeling in response to the outcome of the presidential election. We write foremost to acknowledge the pain and sadness that many of you are experiencing. We want you to know that the administration, faculty, and staff are here to support you as we work through this moment together.”

If that letter was not dumb enough, as the jury expertly could see, the school didn’t listen to the smart ones among them. There were plenty of the Oberlin College and community elders who were telling them that how they were handling this student protest was “dumb” and making them “furious.”

This is perhaps the most important. A university, which is supposed to value intelligence and experience and those who pay attention to the bigger picture, did not listen to those folks at all. From my perspective — after hearing this stuff non-stop since April in court — this was the average-Joe, real common-sense rejection idiocy that the jury found Oberlin College was guilty of.
    ve — after hearing this stuff non-stop since April in court — this was the average-Joe, real common-sense rejection idiocy that the jury found Oberlin College was guilty of.”

17. Solver thread starter macrumors 6502a

$33 million awarded by jury

“Thursday afternoon, a jury awarded the Gibson family $33 million in punitive damages in addition to the $11 million in compensatory damages they were awarded last week in the defamation suit against Oberlin College. That punitive award will be reduced, under state law, to $22 million (2x compensatory). So the total will be $33 million. The jury also awarded attorneys fees which have yet to be determined by the judge.”

https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/...t-against-oberlin-college-in-defamation-case/

18. raqball macrumors 68000

Good.. Maybe this will be a learning lesson for the left and they'll give a 2nd thought before tossing out their talking point keywords against others..

19. Solver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Or maybe they’ll double down.