Observations on switching from Lenovo/IBM T400 to MacBook Pro 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yossarian, May 29, 2010.

1. Yossarian macrumors member

For what it's worth I'd like to share some observations on what it's been like to switch from a Lenovo T400 (a work horse 'business' machine) to a 15" MBP for work (development) and personal use.

Mac Wins:
    - The physical build of the machine is remarkable, the keyboard/screen etc just seem like they're from a completely different specification of machine.
    - 'Sleeping' the machine is very smooth, the T400 would always take some time to go into sleep and coming out would be unusable for a good 15 seconds. The Mac drops in/out of sleep mode in 2-3 seconds each time
    - The sound the lid makes when it closes, it's like closing a drawer on a high quality piece of furniture where the T400 was a clicky/crunchy snappy sound of cheap plastic
    - Itunes is now usable, on Windows it is a dreadful pig of an application even on a dual core machine with 4GB of RAM.
    - Battery life while not in netbook levels is excellent and the magnetic power connector is one of the most simply pleasing pieces of industrial design I've seen in a while & I'm quite clumsy so it'll probably save the machine at some point.
    - It's faster. My apps build about 30-40% quicker in IDE or in ANT.
    - Having a proper terminal and BSD tools rules and actually fits very nicely in the whole OS paradigm. I thought it might be jarring to jump from a *nix terminal to the Mac Finder but it is not.
    - Audio quality whilst still being a laptop is leagues up on the Lenovo.

PC Wins:
    - The Mac is far heavier in my bag, though should've predicated that given the materials of the two machines
    - TortoiseSVN is a killer SVN application, the Mac ones i've used so far are pretty clunky by comparison.
    - Exchange integration sucks with Mail and Entourage, MS Outlook is an excellent application.
    - Macbook doesn't seem to want to use my phone as a modem over HSDPA
    - I can work faster in a code editor on my PC but maybe that'll change. I miss the HOME/END buttons that jump to the start/end of the line but I suppose I can map some key combos to do that.
    - I don't quite get the Finder yet, I'm more efficient moving around the PC filesystem and the moment.
    - I need a decent project-oriented IDE, not necessarily to integrate to build but to browse large projects. XCode doesn't seem to be up to it as it's crashing when I add the files to the project.

So recommendations for code editors, SVN clients & Exchange integration solutions would be welcome.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

TextMate makes a good code editor, definitely give it a try.

As for Outlook, it's coming in the next version of MS Office for mac 2011 (to be released later this year).

3. akramer macrumors member

ctrl-a/ctrl-e or cmd-leftarrow cmd-rightarrow (the latter don't work in some apps like Adium - they change tabs)

4. Yossarian thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the shortcuts tips and the editor suggestion. I'm trying TextMate and BBEdit, they seem pretty good to me so far.