Ocasio-Cortez says VA isn’t broken – it’s ‘Cadillac, first class’ healthcare

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 24, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://americanmilitarynews.com/20...rG8QoG3zIkKzp0DRlJVHSH4W97mzOJK2esMLUNGC6Y17Q
    poor clueless girl, still has a lot to learn.

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I certainly don't know the solution, but not a single veteran I talked to during the years praised the VA as anything that even resembles a Cadillac.

3. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Even though we had veterans dying over it. AOC is an idiot. Another reason I don't want to go to a government based health care system. They haven't shown an exactly stellar operation of the VA.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Am I the only one old enough to remember when politicians told convincing lies? Lies so convoluted and mired in half truths, that even the most learned among us accept as plausible? Now they're spouting transparent lies. Seems like they have been taking the Talk Like Baghdad Bob correspondence course. Or maybe they've been infected by whatever disease Trump brought to DC.

6. raqball macrumors 68000

What a complete nitwit and an embarrassment to the (D) party..

But I am sure they'll be jumping in here to defend her... Wait for it.........................................

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I've had zero issues with the VA..

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Glad to hear that, but unfortunately, many can't say the same.

9. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

10. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

The VA is not always been squeaky clean and has had its fair share of problems. To fix these problems they have to constantly be striving to improve. For AOC to say don't fix something thats not broken is not saying we need to constantly monitor and hold accountable when things go wrong.

https://www.cnn.com/2014/05/23/politics/va-scandals-timeline/index.html

11. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Broken or not, 100% of the funding to improve it needs to come from the near blank checks we hand the military every year. The governement shouldn't be reaching in any other pocket to pay for it. Period.

12. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Absolutely. But that's why context matters. She wasn't making the point that the VA can't be improved. She was making the point that it shouldn't be torn down when it works well.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

I guess Trump is just as clueless

Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 1.10.53 PM.png
    --- Post Merged, Apr 24, 2019 ---
    Irony! Such Irony! lol

14. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Who's going to tell 45 that Veteran's Choice and Accountability was actually passed in 2014? He simply continued it.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

Very true. But he didn't kill it. So he's the hero, right?

16. raqball macrumors 68000

She is talking about before the changes and he is talking about after the changes.... Nice try though.,.. And yes Trump is an idiot too....

17. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

You just made that up. Again Veterans Choice was passed in 2014.

18. raqball macrumors 68000

Yawn....... Then show me where in 2014 a veteran had the same private options as they have now.. You know in real life....

I'll wait, take your time..

19. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

20. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

21. raqball macrumors 68000

22. samcraig macrumors P6

You're arguing in bad faith. What kind of evidence would you be looking for "in real life" - a news story about a VA getting treatment? First you'd have to assume there would be any news stories like that. And then how do you find that via google? What's the search term there?

23. raqball macrumors 68000

No those claiming a veteran in 2014 could forego the VA and seek private medical treatment and have the VA foot the bill are arguing in bad faith as we all know that is BOGUS.,.....

I am basing my assumption on this based on media reporting, long wait times and people dying while waiting for appointments.. You know, why wait when they could have just went private and had the VA pay.....

Or is the claim that veterans are too dumb to know they could have went private and had it covered?

Hummmm.... I can go the the VA and wait 3 months for appointment OR I can go see Dr. Jones and get in after 2 days.... I'll choose to wait for the VA - said no-one ever, I assume....

24. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

That doesn't make any sense. As shown in my links, the law was passed in 2014 and extended in 2017. No changes to coverage were made under 45.

25. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I have private insurance, and hardly utilized my VA health benefits for the last 13 years, but after finding out that my daughter had cancer and her medical bills started to pile up, I figured I would save some money by using the VA health care.

The VA definitely has problems, but I think it has improved a little over the last year.

In my experience, the level of care and attention is not even close to seeing someone outside of the VA. I occasionally have a VA doctor or VA staff that impresses me, but what impresses me in the VA would be expected outside.

There is a lot of bureaucracy and "red tape" in the VA. For example, my VA PCP is horrible, doesn't pay attention to me when I talk, doesn't follow up in making me referrals, his physical exams are basically pointless as he doesn't even pretend to check anything.

I have been trying to switch to a different PCP since the beginning of the year, and it still hasn't happened. I submitted the paperwork months ago, and finally got a call today about it. Also, the call I reviewed today was after me calling them four different times, and visiting the office twice over the past few months.

I also have good experiences, I think all of them involved the GI staff at the Baltimore VA, but most experiences have been poor to average at best.

There was also an embarrassing mix up with a stool sample that was not funny at the time, but is now pretty funny.