Ocasio-Cortez suggests 70% tax for wealthy to fund climate change plan

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/politics/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-tax-climate-change-plan/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_term=link&utm_source=fbCNNp&utm_content=2019-01-04T16:03:11
Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez proposed taxing the wealthy as high as 70% to fund a climate change plan she's pushing called the "Green New Deal."

"There's an element where, yeah, people are going to have to start paying their fair share in taxes," the freshman New York lawmaker said in an interview with Anderson Cooper that's slated to air Sunday on CBS' "60 Minutes."
In a clip of the interview that was released on Friday, Cooper asked Ocasio-Cortez about the specifics of the "Green New Deal," a plan that calls for reducing carbon emissions to zero and moving the country off of fossil fuels in 10 years.
climate change BS.

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
Do you have something against green jobs? Or do you think Wal-mart is going to be able to employ the entire country?

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
taxation is theft........................ why should you have say 20% stolen and others up to 70? we should all be equals here. your 20% could be say 20k, their 20% could be 20 million...........still theft if based on percentage.............
Taxation isn't theft. It funds a lot of things that people take for granted. Go live deep in the Amazon if you don't want to be taxed and enjoy everything that comes with that tax free lifestyle.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I am fine with a 70% income tax on the rich. They'll use accountaing and other tricks to reduce the effective tax they pay.

Source: link

Reactions: arkitect

Solver

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Considering her constituents are in the top 1% of income earners on this planet, why is she advocationg for only 70%?

If she’s serious about climate control it should be 100%... and it would apply to everyone of her constituents.
There are always exemptions built in for political friends.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2016
There are always exemptions built in for political friends.
Of course.

I gotta say, 70%....she's almost as bad as those climate-change-deniers and flat-earthers. If she truly believed in climate change, she would be advocating for 100%. /s

Last edited:
Reactions: jkcerda

hawkeye_a

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2016
No one, and I mean NO ONE, should have 70% of their hard-earned income stolen from them.

No one.

I don't care how poor some people are, they don't have a right to someone else's money.
I have to strongly disagree with your post.

I think/feel/believe that people who advocate,promote and support 70% tax should be the only ones who should have to pay it.

Solver

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Of course.

I gotta say, 70%....she's almost as bad as those climate-change-deniers and flat-earthers. If she truly believed in climate change, she would be advocating for 100%.
Right. Anyone who thinks the earth is flat is crazy. Anyone who thinks the climate does not change is crazy. Anyone who thinks humans are the major cause for the climate changing is crazy.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Taxation isn't theft. It funds a lot of things that people take for granted. Go live deep in the Amazon if you don't want to be taxed and enjoy everything that comes with that tax free lifestyle.
You’re free to write the US treasury an extra check if you feel that strongly about it. The rest of us on the other hand don’t want more of our hard earned money wasted in 0.5 secs.