Occasional crackle sounds during phone calls on 6+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kadin, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I've been noticing, it's happened probably 4-5 times in the last week or so, that when I'm on my phone at home, I get this weird crackle. The only way to describe it is like when you have a headset plugged in and you move the jack that plugs in around and it creates that crackle sound. Yet nothing is plugged in.

It seems to be more prevalent when I make the call but I think it's happened on inbound calls as well. I have 3 of 5 circles for signal strength (AT&T). Whenever it happens, the other person doesn't seem to hear it.

I did some searching and saw a good bit of this issue back on the iPhone 4 but didn't see much with this phone. Any ideas what might be causing this?

2. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Mine is very clear and have VoLTE

Has it always happened

Is there anything in house or your area that could cause interference

3. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

iPop? ipads air 2 are also affected.

4. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

Well I've had the phone for a few months now but only started using it at home recently once I cancelled my home service. So it's hard to say if the issue has existed from the beginning.

It really seems to be something related to the phone and not the reception because as I said, the other people never hear it. It's a bizarre issue that seems to be happening on every call now. Might make an appointment at my local Apple store to have them see what's up.

As to the interference, I used to use my Galaxy S2/3/4 here with no issues.

5. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I know this isn't exactly helpful but I haven't had this issue on my 6+ (which was replaced recently) or on my 6+ replacement.

What you're describing sounds very similar to what I once experienced: I've had issues with cellphone towers where a connection is crackly on outgoing calls. Happened at my work all the time until several of my coworkers and I complained to Verizon - they sent out a tech and found a bad receiver. Never had a problem with that again. Sounds exactly like what you said - crackling when moving a headset plug.

I'd make a trip to another part of town and see if you still have the problem. If so I'd be pretty certain it is the phone. If not, maybe a bad connection to the cellphone tower --- took 3+ of us to complain before Verizon sent out a tech to check our tower. :(

6. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

I have crackling sounds to the point where you can't here the other person. I had to take off LTE when on a call. I have an unlocked sim free 6+ on AT&T and I think that it only happens something to do with my carrier and the sim-free modeled iPhone 6+.

7. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

To be clear, have you used the phone in other locations and still have crackling. If it is clear elsewhere def sounds like local interference.

8. Kadin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kadin

So apparently, as mentioned above, it has to do with the setting in "Cellular" for 'Enable LTE' and being set to both 'Voice and Data.' My house isn't in an actual voice LTE area so the rep had me change this to 'Data Only' and it fixed the issue.

Hopefully this might help someone else for the future. I called AT&T not expecting it to get fixed but it has. Yay!