Occupy Wall Street - 700 Arrested

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OutThere, Oct 1, 2011.

1. OutThere, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Things are getting pretty hot downtown in NYC. It seems 400 people were arrested for walking in the traffic lane as a group of marchers moved to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. It's unclear why the police seemingly invited protestors onto the roadway before corralling them and arresting them.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/01/police-arresting-protesters-on-brooklyn-bridge/?hp

Anyhow, the movement has been going on for about two weeks with relatively little media coverage. I think there are good messages to be had about the the continued arrogance and extravagance of the investment banks, despite having been bailed out by the taxpayers. The lack of a really unified leadership and a cohesiveness among the protestors is holding things back. I think this may just be a starting point.

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Could this be the winter of the 99-percent's discontent?

Developing...

3. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Geez USA, took you long enough to start doing semi-serious protesting. :rolleyes:

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is what the tea party should have been.

Another article I read about this same phenomenon said:

Like you said, OutThere, this may be the start of something big. They hold one of those protests around here, and I am definitely there.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Relatively little what? Problems with the police or something else...

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

All I've seen on the local news are a bunch of entitled students complaining about their student debt. Cry me a river.

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

They invited them out on the roadway to make it easier to corral and arrest them. Seems pretty straightforward to me as long as you think like somebody who believes protesting itself is, or should be, a crime.

Keep in mind that the news is selling you a particular narrative they concocted beforehand, and they are selecting interview subjects consistent with that narrative. You also might be selling short the idea that education costs could rise to the level of a genuine problem. I don't care to make it right now, but I think the argument could be made.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I didn't know they were bitching about student loans! I need to get in on that, too.

9. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Hipsters getting arrested? :D

Best day of my life.

10. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

At least they're getting off their arses to protest against the disgraceful fraud that has been occurring for the past 10 years. What have you done?

11. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

Whoops, typo. That should have read 'relatively little media coverage'. It's a small, pictureless headline mixed in with a variety of filler stories on the main news websites right now, and it's not even a particularly prominent headline on the NYT website right now. We've had better and more in-depth national coverage of various protests in other countries.

12. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Interesting article from The New York Times with some helpful tips for the protesters and what they should be demanding/chanting.

The Bankers and the Revolutionaries

I sometimes cringe at some of the silly chants that come from the protests, such as "This is what democracy sounds like" and "What do we want? _____ When do we want it?..." etc.

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I can't wait to see this spread and watch our democracy start shooting people like in them other countries.

;)

14. ender land macrumors 6502a

So..... don't go to college? Or go to college and get a degree which can actually have your student loans paid off?

No one has a right to bitch about a choice they voluntarily make. If anything, complain about all the advertisement which has so many Americans convinced that they will be utter failures in life if they don't get a college education.

15. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

So...this means the number of people protesting Wall Street has exceeded the number of people arrested on Wall Street for bringing down our economy.

Anyone want to argue that we're not living in a corporatocracy?

16. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Did you ever stop to think maybe those advertisements are correct? You ARE an utter failure if you don't go to college. That's not an option in 21st century America. Idk how old you are, maybe it was possible in your day, but that doesn't fly anymore. A bachelors degree at minimum is non-negotiable.

17. ender land macrumors 6502a

Non-negotiable? How do you explain the millions of people without bachelors degrees with jobs in the USA?

I'm not saying a 4-year degree doesn't help. It most certainly does. But someone who gets a "useful" 2-year degree or useful job experience doing construction or some sort of "trades" industry skillset will probably have a better chance finding a decent job after graduation than someone who gets that magical 4-year degree in a field which has no job prospects.

.... I'm not even sure if this is supposed to be a coherent thought or rebuttal to anything I said.

---

The biggest lie that advertisers for universities have ever created is this idea that "go to college! get a 4-year degree in whatever you want and you can succeed in life!"

Companies want to hire people who can add value to their company. This is most often in either a skillset (such as more trades types of jobs, welding/electrician/firefighting/etc) or a knowledgeset (such as engineering or math or physics or computer programming or graphic design, etc). People who go to college for four or more years and get a degree which does not promote their ability to add value to a company are going to have trouble finding jobs. This goes for any level - there are plenty of people getting PhDs who have trouble just as much as normal 4-year degrees. There are a lot of people at my university, where I'm currently a masters student, who are spending lots of money getting degrees in things like philosophy or psychology or political science or the whole host of other majors which do not do anything along those lines.

I'm not sure where the lie that a 4-year degree costing 100k in loans for philosophy (or a whole variety of other equally not valuable fields) is "worth it" or a "good financial investment" came from but it is a lie that causes many, MANY people to invest foolishly in something which will likely have significant difficulty in being able to repay itself.

This doesn't even consider the number of people who buy into the "must go to college" belief, spend a ton of money for a year only to realize they don't fit in or can't succeed there, and then do drop out, and have nothing other than a big student debt to show for it.

18. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The Butterfly Effect...

The movement is just now starting to get coverage in the mainstream media, and it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Unions are just beginning to get involved in NYC, and more "occupy" events are springing up around the country; OccupyTogether.org seems to be having trouble keeping up their master list of all the events updated. Meanwhile, the Occupy DC event is just getting started...

19. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

I wonder how many W-2s to be found among that 700. Just sayin'.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Curse you, Crimson Baron. :p

21. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Tonight there's going to be 10 marines up there, too (confirmed, maybe more?). I doubt they'll be on the news, but it's happening. It's not just yuppies.

22. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/223...es-scene-of-700-occupy-wall-street-arrest.htm

So let's examine each of these grievances individually.

* corporate greed - that's very broad ranging and means nothing.

* foreclosure crisis - banks don't have a right to foreclose on someone who hasn't made a payment in 6 months? Squatter rights?

* work place discrimination - once again I'd like hard proof that women & blacks are being paid less then white males for exactly the same work on a far-ranging basis.

* student loan debt - yeah so I've got to bail out some idiot who took on $50K for a liberal-arts degree. My own degree cost maybe $10K and it was a good professional one.

*labor outsourcing - I guess those protesters should ditch their iPhones immediately then.

23. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Its true, most related tweets in my feed are coming from someone that looks like Tank Girl.

24. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Maybe that's because public disorder is against the law but making poor decisions as a banker/trader/investor isn't?

25. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

What I find grimly amusing is that a few years ago when somebody set up a fake grassroots movement claiming to be pissed off at the people who f'ed the economy, it got wall-to-wall coverage, at least on Fox News, and quickly revealed its true purpose, to blame "liberals" and operate openly for the benefit of the people who f'ed the economy. And it's still going strong on the basis of the misdirected hate manufactured under that banner.

Now, when people finally do get genuinely pissed off at the people who f'ed the economy, first it gets no coverage at all, and then when it does, the official story is "these people are all stupid and you should laugh at them." I come in here and what do I see but "gosh, I think these people are all stupid, and I feel like laughing at them."

The credulity, the ease with which people are manipulated, and above all the obviousness of it all is just tragic. I can do little more than watch, stunned, as this unfolds.