Oct 2008 MBP [2.4GHz] w/ 10.6.2, can I get 8GB Ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vader1990, Nov 25, 2009.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have the 2.4Ghz Macbook Pro from October 2008, and I was planning on getting 8GB ram, I was wondering if it is possible for me to get 8GB or is 6GB the max for me. I'm running 10.6.2 if this makes a difference?

Also if 8GB is not possible for me, and I'm gonna lose dual channel anyway, should I get one 4GB and have 5GB total, or is 2X2GB (retain dual channel) better than 5 (4GB + 1GB) or 6GB (4GB + 2GB) of Ram?

Also, is a SSD worth it?

Thanks for the help!!

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

8GB is not possible on the late-2008 MacBook Pro. Depending on what you're doing dual channel might or might not play a big difference so it depends on your tasks.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not possible on the 2.4GHz MacBook unibody. Only June 13" revisions on.

4. vader1990 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks for the info. Can you please tell me if Dual-Channel will be of use for me, I'm going to list my most common tasks below to aid you.

MS Office, and iWork--I'm a college student so I need to use these a lot for writing papers, application, etc. I'm also an Engineering student, so I use MATLAB, and Eclipse and stuff like Solid a lot. Also I watch a lot of HD 720p-1080p videos on my laptop. I generally use Quicktime X or VLC. I also listen to a lot of music on iTunes, and use the iLife suite a LOT.

I've been considering getting either bootcamp or more likely VMWare Fusion to run Windows 7--I haven't done it yet because 2GB of ram in not even close to enough haha.

So, can you judge based on that?

Thanks for the help!!

5. srexy macrumors 6502a

No comments on the 8gb thing. I would however recommend Plex for your viewing needs. It blows away Quicktime & VLC.

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

dual channel will not make much of a difference in any application,

im running 3gb in one of my mbp's and it runs as smooth as all the others for even heavy tasks such as virtual machines.

intels flex mode would take effect in this case, offering dual channel on the 1gb and 1gb of the 2gb leaving 1gb(of the 2gb stick) non dual channel.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-stakes-vision-pc-future-775-launch,830-28.html