OCT/SEP iPhones antennas will be fixed according to applecare! (strange support call)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aibo82, Jul 26, 2010.

1. aibo82 macrumors 6502

Hi

I have just called applecare in the UK about my iphone 4 losing 3g data when held his following replied stunned me and is 100% gen no bull:

" I am not going to, sorry to put it bluntly, bulls**t you (exact words) but this is a common problem with iphone 4s i can replace your iphone 4 but you'll be left unhappy again and again as they all have this issue!"

I said: ok is this ever going to be a fix?

He said: by all means there is the case program if your happy to do that but its something you will have to accept the phones got a issue were the signal is drained by touching the antenna!

I Said: So its ether a case or a refund?

He said:

For now yes but people who have issues around oct/sep and have there phone replaced will have the issue fixed apple is currently working on this.

I said: how do you know this?

He said its internal information I dont care if I get the sack for it but im not going to bul**t my customers you can wait and get a replacement in oct/sep or have a refund now.

I opted for the refund and was transferred to the refund department!

WHAT A STRANGE CALL!

Any of this true what he said you think? i'm really shocked he just said bulls**t over the phone to me lol!

2. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

Not really a surprise. They put the September deadline on the free case program for a reason.

3. aibo82 thread starter macrumors 6502

That was my thought I only rang up because my 3g was going to a GPRS signal. I really hope he was gen im kinda pinning my hopes for a fix!

One thing he also said it would be done internally in the phone like an isolating gasket he seemed pretty clued up!

He said they would only be replacement them who calls with the issue so I imagine this fix will be kept very quiet!

4. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

That reason being it is the end of the fiscal quarter.

Sorry, but some support dude doesn't have inside information. It does sound like a strange call.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

While I agreed with you that is no doubt that apple is working on a hardware fix, the Sep deadline its just the end of the Quarterly earnings.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Likely BS

Any fix would require an FCC re-approval because they would be messing with the radio, transmission, sars and everything the FCC would need to re-approve.

There is no way they can get re-approval and keep that private. It's public record.

That means that you would have well over 3 million (many more by that point) that would storm the Apple stores or a HUGE lawsuit.

These rumors and speculation really need to stop as it's promoting false information and instilling some sense of "hope" where there simply is none.

As Jobs said himself - there's nothing wrong with the design of the phone. That's Apple's viewpoint at least. Any change in design would be admitting fault.

Furthermore - anyone who accepted a case as a fix did NOT sign off that the case would prohibit them from seeking action in court.

In short - it would be a HUGE PR and customer relations nightmare for them to fix the iPhone 4.

The "fix" if any in the antenna design will be in the next iPhone

7. aibo82 thread starter macrumors 6502

Possibly why he said its an internal gasket to get past the FCC some sort of hidden fix?

8. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

You can't get past the FCC. Doesn't work that way.

9. aibo82 thread starter macrumors 6502

Possibly just him talking rubbish then but a gen call guys! I somehow wish it was true! I dont know if to wait or what now!

10. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

I love when all these hotshots think they know everything. what happens when Sept rolls around and the problem is fixed? what do you say then?

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

The records becomes public once they are approved, if they are working on it, you wil no see any records at this point. You can also request for them to private for a up to a period of 90 days

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

People can try and sue after a revision to the design if they like.....but they would not be successful.

13. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Bless your little heart.

Come back to me October 1. I'll go ahead and tell you what I'll say then: "I told you so."

14. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

+1

15. samcraig macrumors P6

I never said how long it would take. My point is that they do become public. And the SECOND that does - Apple would be hit with a crapstorm.

And as far as lawsuits - they are predicated on a lot LESS than a "revision" change.

Apple wouldn't want the PR nightmare. Not after they've gone after every phone manufacturer and claimed that there IS no fix. It's physics.

But if it helps you sleep at night to think that Apple will change the iPhone4 - go ahead.

16. Skinfaxi macrumors member

It would be an idiotic business move for apple to change the iPhone 4. You just need to wait 11 more months for iPhone 5.

17. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Exactly. I guarantee you that they are working on iPhone 5 right now. Not some imaginary revision to iPhone 4. :rolleyes:

18. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

These people no higher knowledge than we do. There's no way Apple would put out a new iPhone/hardware changes this soon after launch. Keep waiting for those revisions...

19. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

and why do you think that?!? you underestimate the power of a civil tort...Apple is not going to make a new phone until next summer...and certainly will not consider a hardware revision ,quietly or otherwise as this would potentially upset everyone that previously purcahsed the phone...some people are so gullible! you really think some 8 bucks an hour support rep knows ANYTHING about upcoming hardware revisions? reps are the LAST to know anything! why? because there's no incentive for them to keep quiet!

20. samcraig macrumors P6

Also consider the stance Apple took at the press conference. Let logic not emotion guide you..

They said that very few people suffered from any issue beyond what was in the media

They also said that the iPhone 4 has the best reception overall than any previous iPhone

So tell me - LOGICALLY - why would they change it and have to admit "failure."

And tell me LOGICALLY how they could keep it as a "quiet" fix.

21. Schweitzer macrumors regular

While it would be wise to produce a faulty device for a full year even if they could fix it easily.

Makes sense.

22. Schweitzer macrumors regular

Because the "failure" is there while the press conference was bad PR.

23. dast1g macrumors regular

dast1g

I highly doubt there will be a major revision of the phone but if I'm wrong , my 4 will magically have all the atenna issues :p

24. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Not sure why, product revise all the time, go and take a look at the 3Gs FCC files, you will see 3 revisions to the tests. and don't remember any PR mess or any large lawsuits for those...

25. samcraig macrumors P6

If Apple continues to deny there's an issue - there "no" issue. I'm not saying there isn't an issue. Don't misunderstand me.

What I'm saying is - If Apple says there's no issue. And they do not change the phone. The phone is the phone is the phone. Defect or not. They've endured the worst of the press they can get for now.

*IF* they change the iPhone 4 design - they will enter themselves into an even bigger crapstorm with PR than even before. They will also be admitting to the public that they lied and that there's been an issue all along. "Political Suicide"

The cost of keeping things status quo at this point would be cheaper than the alternative. Better to have the iPhone 4 sell like crazy and be considered flawed than go through the legal and public opinion battle by changing it.

The time to change the design has passed. If they had any intention it would have been before the press conference and/or announced at the press conference before they presented "facts" that disputed any design flaw.

But again - if it helps you sleep at night - feel free to think the iPhone 4 design will change.