Octo and 2 24" Cinema Displays on FCS3

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by scouser75, Sep 28, 2009.

1. scouser75 macrumors 6502a

I was hoping that this post would have been accompanied with many smiley faces. Alas, the following happened...

I picked up my Octo yesterday with 2 24" Cinema Displays (some of you may already know where this thread is heading).

I couldn't hook it up straight away as had a party to go to :rolleyes:

Got home very very late and decided I HAD to hook it up then :D

And I then realise that the poxy cables on the monitors are waaaaaay too short to reach the actual base station :mad: Now I don't want to go into the usual rant "how on earth did Apple not figure this one out......."

I know extension cables can be bought so not overly fussed about this.

BUT my question is this... can Final Cut Studio 3 utilise 2 cinema displays? Reason I ask this is that i read somewhere that FCS2 couldn't. Can someone please confirm this for me?

Thanks guys

2. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

Yeah the LED displays have insanely short cables. You'd almost have to put your mac pro on the desk and right in the middle to get them to reach.

But about the FCS question, yes FCS3 utilizes dual monitors, as does FCS2

3. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Final cut can utilize 2 displays,no worries, but only if you use the same gpu.

The problem is that color does not work (doesnt launch) if you have 2 different gpus on you rig.

4. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

Haha I got quite a laugh from your signature, sorry for going OT. But it just keeps getting better!

Might want to update it for the new H4D-60 ;)

5. xper macrumors 6502

xper

Seriously, so to put in multiple graphiccards into the MP to be able to have more screens actually have the opposite effect in FCP and color? How stupidly useless is that?

6. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Huh? So the fact that I was told to get 2 (TWO) nvidia cards by Apple will mean i CANNOT run FCP7 properly???

If so, what's the other option?

I really don't fancy trying to take the extra card out of the tower myself. And even more than that, I really don't fancy lugging the behemoth tower over to my apple store for them to take it out :rolleyes:

7. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

PS I've managed (somehow) to connect both displays to my tower but when i fire it up only 1 monitor comes on.

I've gone into system prefs and tried to detect displays but no luck.

Am I doing something wrong?

8. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Well,you can have 2 monitors and pros have extra external monitoring via dedicated cards (aja,BM) on top of them allso,so I dont understand what the problem is?

If you were told so by your store,you get false advertisement there.
    So demand that they come to your place and remove the card+refund it.

I personally havent tried 2 cards,but that is the info I have gotten (and remember reading in the color manual as well?). If you want to be sure and not to loose sleep,launch the color and check it out.

9. xper macrumors 6502

xper

Yes i know that i can have more than 2 monitors with FCP but this thread is about the 24" and thus need 1 card per monitor, hopefully Apple will use ATI:s Eyefinity and therefor let us use up to 6 screens per card!

But are you sure FCP is limited to one GPU? Have seen FCP being used with 3 screens, without AJA and cards alike, just on regular GFX cards!

10. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

I dont think the FCP is the problem,it is the Color.
    FCP should work fine? Dont know about motion or shake.

11. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can someone pls give me an idiots guide to getting my second display to work? :) I've got all the connections in properly - and yes, I have checked that the mains are turned on :D

And if the 2nd card problem only applies to colour I think I'd be able to live with it. But if it also applies to FCP then I'll have to do as macinposh suggested - call apple and get them to come over and remove the card!!!

12. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry to be a PITA. But anyone able to help me pls with getting the 2nd screen to come on/work?

I've googled and searched and googled some more but not had any luck.

I have now given up googling and searching and have now resorted to pulling out me hair :confused:

13. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Worry ye guys not. I've sorted it :D

I am now able to drag and drop apps from 1 screen to the other :D

Is there anyway that I can get the dock and tool bars to also appear in the 2nd screen?

14. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Worry ye guys not. I've sorted it :D

I am now able to drag and drop apps from 1 screen to the other :D

Is there anyway that I can get the dock, tool bars and HD to also appear in the 2nd screen?