Octo / Dual Quad-Core MP Owners Only: Can you tell me how VisualHub runs?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by desenso, Sep 27, 2007.

1. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Hi,

I'm curious to hear from someone with an Octo mac pro who has used visualhub to encode in the iTunes (h264 mp4) setting.

Could you tell me if all 8 processors are engaged in the encoding? If you turn on the xgrid support, does it process 8 files at once?

Thanks to anyone that could give me this kind of information.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

3. desenso thread starter macrumors 6502a

desenso

Thanks for the links. It is my understanding that using the xgrid feature in VisualHub, in addition to sharing processor power over a network, will actually alter the way files are processed and send one file to each processor on the individual computer. This is differentiated from the "normal" encoding process in VisualHub which engages multiple processors for a single file.

According to this article:

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Added my own emphasis.

You do not have an Xgrid though. I have not had a chance to play around with this feature myself but from the quote above it sounds like it needs an Xgrid controller.

5. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Yeah, my understanding of that is if you used an octo in an Xgrid, you could use each processor separately. Not sure if that would apply to cores, though...

The main machine will always operate as a single machine, as the OS is utilizing the whole main processor configuration.

6. desenso thread starter macrumors 6502a

desenso

I guess I've either misunderstood one of VisualHub's features, or there's something ambiguous about what they're presenting. I went through the process yesterday of "turning on" the Xgrid controller (which seemed to be happening via software) and tried running VisualHub on a number of files. Alas, it never began processing.

I guess I'm surprised that they gave the Xgrid feature such prominence within the software if it requires further hardware. What portion of their user-base is going to be able to make use of this?

Well, with that question aside, I'd still like to hear people's experiences with running VisualHub on an Octo -- does it engage all the processors? I know this seems obvious because VisualHub does so on a dual core machine, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it has been designed to function on dual quad-core chips.

7. MikeL macrumors 6502

Why don't you ask the developer to explain the feature to you?

8. desenso thread starter macrumors 6502a

desenso

Not sure if this is some underhanded a**hole comment, but either way I think the people on a Apple discussion forum are likely to be more accessible than the developer of a popular application.

If I misread your comment, I apologize.

9. Mustard Chops macrumors regular

Using Xgrid with visual hub means that you can assign an encoding job to each processor.

In my case 4 jobs submitted on my Mac Pro (as Xgrid controller) use all cores available on that machine. If i submit 6 jobs, I connect my MBP to my wired network and 4 jobs go to the Mac Pro, 2 go to my MBP.

Simple.

10. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

The purpose of Xgrid is to utilize multiple machines to create a processing grid that turns them into a single machine. That is what it was designed to do. So if you turned on Xgrid without having other machines attached, then it would do nothing.

11. MikeL macrumors 6502

So you haven't asked, then. Nice way to be a jerk, BTW.

The best source of information here would be the developer. I'm quite certain that if you ask, you'll get an answer that's direct and informative. Why not take the two minutes and do it?

The "underhanded a**hole" part of me really dislikes people who can't help themselves.

12. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

To be fair, not everyone realizes that many developers are accessible and friendly. To a lot of people, it's comparable to having a problem with a movie and calling the director. Most people don't spend as much time in the tech world as some of us do...

That said, the response to the advice was kind of rude.

13. Help! macrumors regular

Visual Hub forums..
    http://www.isquint.org/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=14;t=3732

"But I've only got one computer, but its dual core, should I be using Xgrid?
    If you have more than 1 file to convert then YES! As you maybe able to see from my little experiment above the again although small is still a gain, its 11 minutes that you could spend with your kids, 11 minutes sooner that you can leave work early, 11 minutes longer you can sleep, 11 minutes that you can be making paper aeroplanes."

14. desenso thread starter macrumors 6502a

desenso

I've been having an issue with Expose not working on reboots recently. Guess I should email Steve Jobs and ask him if he has any advice on how to fix it. :rolleyes:

15. desenso thread starter macrumors 6502a

desenso

Thank you! This is (almost) the answer that I was looking for. I'm betting it will work exactly the same on an 8 core. I appreciate you responding with a confirmation that XGrid does indeed work as the VisualHub people describe it. Not sure why it's not working on my end...

16. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Bad comparison. Steve Jobs was not a developer on Expose.

17. desenso thread starter macrumors 6502a

desenso

The line between jolting sarcasm and unemotional simplicity can be tough to judge on internet discussion boards. I assumed the former, perhaps too hastily given the otherwise cordial nature of this forum, and responded without adequate forethought.

With that said, I still find MikeL's advice rather unhelpful. It's certainly not uncommon for questions such as mine to appear on a forum such as this one. Isn't part of the reason we're all here to share knowledge and experience with one another? I actually did poke around the iSquint forums, briefly, to see if anyone had addressed this issue. My search was far from thorough, but I didn't see this pop up, so I came over here.

I seriously doubt that the developer of even the lesser-known software would be quick to respond to my question. Hell, most of the smaller development companies might not even have an 8-core Mac Pro! In this case, a very popular piece of software probably has, as a matter of fact, very busy developers. I seriously doubt that they would get back to me with any kind of promptness. In any event, my choice of this forum as the place to solicit an answer puts any knowledge on the subject into the public domain. It is there for the next person who might be curious. On the other hand, personal contact with the developer satisfies only my own curiosity on the subject.

In short, I think MikeL's comment was unhelpful. It was also ambiguously sympathetic. I probably reacted too hastily in my response, and I regret detracting from an otherwise informative discussion. Nevertheless, I don't apologize for bringing forth the original question. In any event, this wasn't meant to turn into a debate about XGrid and the feature in VisualHub, per se. Rather, I wanted to know if a dual quad-core Mac Pro would be max'd out when VisualHub is running. That's all I really cared to know.

18. MikeL macrumors 6502

A jerk and an idiot, eh?

You know, I wouldn't have even made the suggestion if it appeared you were getting a clear answer here. You haven't, so your best next step is to go directly to the source.

You've rambled on and on about why that's such bad advice. Have you taken the two minutes to take the advice? You'll likely be very pleasantly surprised, if you can manage to keep yourself from coming off like a dick.

Good luck with that.

19. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Really not interested in getting into the argument (so it was sort of stupid of me to reply before), but my only point was that you really should try writing the developer if there is a link on the software site. You might be surprised; I've had developers send me code to correct unique problems before...

20. Mustard Chops macrumors regular

If you are struggling with getting Xgrid working check out the techspansion support forums. They are generally very helpful down there.

Xgrid is a little flaky sometimes in visual hub, my worst experience being 8 HD movies encoded with Xgrid enabled ended up as 500mb incomplete movie files :confused:

When it works correctly though it is very quick :D

21. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Xgrid (and, I have heard, Visual Hub) as a piece of consumer software is still pretty new and, as such, mildly buggy. Still, most reports I've heard have been positive...