Octo Mac Pro upgraded with 3tb and 16gb of ram (pics)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by qpid, Aug 23, 2007.

1. qpid macrumors regular

I purchased a Mac Pro for a client recently and got the chance to upgrade the guy to 16gb of Ram and 3tb of Hard Drive Space! Crazy Unreal...

[​IMG]

Here is my cat, Cat 5e inspecting the package to make sure nothing got damaged.

[​IMG]

The Cast of Invader Zim approve of the Almighty Ram

[​IMG]

Here are all of the parts outside the (for now) virgin Mac Pro

[​IMG]

First board of 8gb down, another to go...

[​IMG]

Each stick of 2gb came in its own box, you can also see a bit of my other cat, Qwerty

[​IMG]

Here are the four SE16 WD 750gb drives calling out the the Mac Pro

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I bought this refurbished and it came with a nice upgrade an x1900xt! Not bad, not bad at all

I currently have it running Apple Hardware test to make sure everything goes fine, however 16gb takes a very very long time to test

2. Mxsix macrumors member

Mxsix

:eek: That's insane! What is this client going to be using the Mac Pro for? It's gotta be something intense with those specs.

Nice job! I'm definitely jealous.

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Super computing I'd say. Too bad you didn't go all out and buy 32 Gbs (it supports 64, but they don't make 'em) and 4 Tbs with lots of other things I can't even imagine.

4. qpid thread starter macrumors regular

I thought about talking him into 4tb just to see if I could but no... He had to wimp out :rolleyes:

I guess he also could have used multiple video cards to knock it up a notch even though he doesn't need them.

As for what he is using it for, I am not sure exactly, He told me to build him the most badass Mac Pro I could (within reason)

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Ah, well, if you'd maxed it out you'd prolly get a letter from the FBI wondering what you were doing with such a machine... ah, for a world without money I long.

6. Rowlander macrumors member

I can think of: editing uncompressed 2k film.
    He´s probably just playing World of Warcraft. :D