Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
I currently have a 2.33ghz MBP with 4GB ram( 3GB usable) and the X1600 Graphics card.

I still do a little bit of gaming and this system doesn't quite cut it for the latest unreal tournament for me.

does anyone know what we might get in the new MBP's?

I'm still not sure whether to get a MB or MBP, i like to have a high performance lappy and a more portable one but im not sure which one i should upgrade next month! If the GFX upgrade isnt great then i guess im better off waiting till the next MBP update sometime.

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
Search around, it's much easier for you to search using mroogle than for us to lob the same information at you that has already been thrown all over this forum.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
The first thing i did was search... "graphics card" doesnt come up with anything relevant to the upcomming model just older 8600 threads.

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
people are thinking 'oh this thread was brought up a thousand times before'.

But hey, its been MONTHS since this was even discussed. True not much has changed in the world of mobile graphics, but I'm less likely to assume they'll just throw a 9650 in there and call it a day (but as we know they probably will).

Still some think they'll go with an ATi card. I dont know at all though.

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
people are thinking 'oh this thread was brought up a thousand times before'.

But hey, its been MONTHS since this was even discussed. True not much has changed in the world of mobile graphics, but I'm less likely to assume they'll just throw a 9650 in there and call it a day (but as we know they probably will).

Still some think they'll go with an ATi card. I dont know at all though.

After the recent nvidia downfall I would maybe assume they would give ATI a go. However this is apple and who knows.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
That could very well be why its taken so long to come out w/ an updated unit.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the delay was because intel delayed montevina because of some internal issues. Montevina laptops are being realeased but they are coming slowly with several manufactures not releasing till late september/early October.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
If you're worried about graphics capabilities, you shouldn't be getting a Mac, period.

You also shouldn't be replacing your perfectly capable $2,000+ laptop just because it can't run Unreal Tournament to your satisfaction.

That's utterly ridiculous.

Afini

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
Portland, OR
If you're worried about graphics capabilities, you shouldn't be getting a Mac, period.

You also shouldn't be replacing your perfectly capable $2,000+ laptop just because it can't run Unreal Tournament to your satisfaction.

Its utterly ridiculous to tell people what they should and shouldn't do to meet their satisfaction. :p

Its rather easy to sell used notebooks, you could probably update once a year without spending more than you would otherwise to upgrade a desktop to keep it up to spec with new games if you subract your sell price from your old hardware from what you're paying for your new one, TBH. :D

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2007

Would you like to buy my perfectly capable MBP for $2000+ then? :D i see from your specs that your current setup is utterly ridiculous. :D

I've had this MBP for around or over 3 years, i think i'm allowed to upgrade if I want to.....

And Afini is right, i bought a refurb macbook but sold it on ebay 4 months later as i thought the screen was awful and sold it for £20 less than i paid for it

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
Would you like to buy my perfectly capable MBP for $2000+ then? :D i see from your specs that your current setup is utterly ridiculous. :D

I've had this MBP for around or over 3 years, i think i'm allowed to upgrade if I want to.....

And Afini is right, i bought a refurb macbook but sold it on ebay 4 months later as i thought the screen was awful and sold it for £20 less than i paid for it

Definitely would not buy your MBP for $2k; I'll be getting a new one when they come out.

My point is, it's stupid to get a $2k machine for gaming, when you can get much better gaming machines for much less. The MBP is not a gaming machine, and if the only reason you're getting a new one is for gaming... well, you're kidding yourself.

The rest of the components are basically the same, and three years old or not (it's a bit less), a 2.33 GHz MBP isn't going to be noticeably slower than a 2.6 GHz Montevina-based MBP.

As for my current setup, I find it quite usable. For what I can't do on it, I have the PC I built- or the laptop PC I'm currently typing on at college (my three year old 1.6 GHz Pentium M Toshiba just kicked it over the summer).

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I'm thinking a midrange 9xxx or HD 3xxx series GPU. The low-end MacBook Pro, like the low-end iMac, may even have a low-end GPU.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
How certain are you? I don't think it's going to happen because they still need to keep it 1" thin. Including the 5600 would significantly increase the thickness by another inch- thats unacceptable.

joke [johk] Pronunciation Key noun, verb, joked, jok·ing.
–noun
1. something said or done to provoke laughter or cause amusement, as a witticism, a short and amusing anecdote, or a prankish act: He tells very funny jokes. She played a joke on him.
2. something that is amusing or ridiculous, esp. because of being ludicrously inadequate or a sham; a thing, situation, or person laughed at rather than taken seriously; farce: Their pretense of generosity is a joke. An officer with no ability to command is a joke.
3. a matter that need not be taken very seriously; trifling matter: The loss was no joke.
4. something that does not present the expected challenge; something very easy: The test was a joke for the whole class.
5. practical joke.
–verb (used without object)
6. to speak or act in a playful or merry way: He was always joking with us.
7. to say something in fun or teasing rather than in earnest; be facetious: He didn't really mean it, he was only joking.
–verb (used with object)
8. to subject to jokes; make fun of; tease.
9. to obtain by joking: The comedian joked coins from the audience.

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
joke [johk] Pronunciation Key noun, verb, joked, jok·ing.
–noun
1. something said or done to provoke laughter or cause amusement, as a witticism, a short and amusing anecdote, or a prankish act: He tells very funny jokes. She played a joke on him.
2. something that is amusing or ridiculous, esp. because of being ludicrously inadequate or a sham; a thing, situation, or person laughed at rather than taken seriously; farce: Their pretense of generosity is a joke. An officer with no ability to command is a joke.
3. a matter that need not be taken very seriously; trifling matter: The loss was no joke.
4. something that does not present the expected challenge; something very easy: The test was a joke for the whole class.
5. practical joke.
–verb (used without object)
6. to speak or act in a playful or merry way: He was always joking with us.
7. to say something in fun or teasing rather than in earnest; be facetious: He didn't really mean it, he was only joking.
–verb (used with object)
8. to subject to jokes; make fun of; tease.
9. to obtain by joking: The comedian joked coins from the audience.

I was just playing along. I suppose the absence of smilies might have given the unintended tone :)

Moreover, really including the 5600 would increase the thickness not by 1", but by 10".... not to mention the car battery that needs to be duct taped to the notebook.... :D

Banacek

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2008
It's not a chore. I have noticed that when I do post those links users actually go out and read most of those previous threads. I hope you have as well.

Oh, I do. I just think you're never going to stop people from posting repeats.

Crovax

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
Kyiv, Ukraine
As for me the question "what GPU are we going to have" is much more important then the one about the time of the release (that has born several huge threads). I am not going to buy an MBP with any nVidia inside and I'd be very glad if Apple gives us a hint about their plans. Because as soon as I know they are placing nVidia inside, I take my money and go to any of several computer stores near me and buy any laptop with ATI. :) And on the other hand if they are placing ATI inside, waiting is not a problem for me. I've been waiting for 3 months already and I will be veeeeeeeery disappointed if after all they choose nVidia. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.