October Unibody vs February Unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RKpro, Feb 9, 2009.

1. RKpro macrumors 6502

Hey guys, just thought I'd share my story. Despite the grim beginning, this is not a rant, I'm very impressed with Apple customer service.

I bought a Unibody MBP in October shortly after it was released. According to serial number lookup websites, it was built during the week of the announcement. It seemed like a perfect machine, except one little dead pixel. After a few months, the hinge has developed a loud high pitched squeak that turns heads in lecture halls. So I brought it into a Apple store for repairs last Thursday.

The next day they gave me a call, and told me they replaced the display with a new one and it was ready for pickup. This morning (Monday) I come in to pick it up. Immediately I noticed that the whole top of the machine was replaced, because the aluminum on the lid was slightly darker from the rest of the machine. (weird, I know...) More importantly, it was extremely mis-aligned the screen was sticking out the side by a few millimeters. To add insult to injury, one of the screws on the bottom of the machine was screwed in halfway. I got the impression the repair genius that was working on my machine was drunk.

After about 10 people apologizing to me, they said they would have have it fixed within an hour. So I went to one of my lectures and came back after 2 hours. I was told that it was a very troublesome repair job so they swapped out the hard drives and just gave me a brand new machine instead. (sweet, new battery...)

I've been using it for the past 2 hours on my annoyingly long lunch break. And I must say, the difference between the two computers is like night and day. It is much better in so many ways:

-The keyboard is much much softer, and much easier to type on, and the keys stick out about 1mm less so they don't touch the screen when it's closed.
    -The black plastic beneath the monitor is a lot more solid and doesn't bend easily like on my previous machine.
    -The LED battery indicator is a lot brighter.
    -The touch pad clicking noise is a bit quieter ( I think).
    - and the DVD drive also makes a lot less noise compared to my previous machine.
    -There is no rattle from the right speaker at full volume.
    - The lid is more stiff in the center at the Apple logo, so it doesn't bend into the keyboard as easily.

... and this is what I noticed just in the past 2 hours of use. Pretty much all the weak points of the machine have been improved. Only thing is that the battery door is still just as loose.

My previous machine was one of the first few thousand unibodies built, and I'm guessing that they have made massive improvements since production started. So the moral of the story is not to buy a brand new design at launch. And I wouldn't recommend an early refurbished model unless you can get a stupid good deal.

Oh, and my repair "genius" wasn't a genius at all, but the overall customer service experience was excellent.

edit: the hinge is also a lot tighter, it takes a lot more force to close the screen now.. but it still falls when you hold the laptop vertically.

2. Jottle macrumors 6502

When was your new MBP made? Check the serial number and get back to us.

3. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I got my MBP back in Oct and it does not have any of those problems.

4. og1 macrumors regular

i can confirm the superdrive on my january build makes a much quieter and shorter sound on startup/wakeup than an october build.

5. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I bought mine 2 days after they were released in the US, but my superdrive makes a quiet and short noise. My friend bought his 1 week after I did, but his makes a long, and loud noise. :confused:

6. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I wonder if the overall build quality has improved, or if there are inconsistencies in every batch. From the comments in this thread, I am leaning toward the latter rather than the former.

7. Hermolicious84 macrumors member

Same here. I think it's not very safe to assume that your individual computer (which seems to be quite the lemon) is representative of the whole first batch. My keys don't touch the screen when it's closed, and I've never seen one that does this....:confused:

8. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

there is something else that plays a factor that we throw around all the time in www.headfi.org as audiophiles: placebo. it happens in every facet of life. while i doubt that the manufacturing has not improved a bit, to be night and day difference is more a psychological difference.

9. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

I second that. I too have bought my unibody on the day of the announcement in October, and have not experienced any of the problems described on this forum (yet). I'd say it's placebo + inconsistency with every batch/machine.

10. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

this seems like one of those psychological mishaps that people get. usually happens with OCD people (that includes me) and honestly.. theyre all the 'same.' of course the dead pixel one is different but the fact you doubted the softness/quieter-ness of the touchpad make it seem like it's just overreaction

11. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yes, Apple have several revisions within revisions to get it right ;)

Glad your happy with it.

12. RKpro thread starter macrumors 6502

4th week of 2009. So late January, misleading title, sorry, LoL.

It really DOES feel like a more solid, better built machine.