Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Has any one run an OCZ Vector SSD in a Mac mini in particular in a fusion drive?

http://ocz.com/consumer/vector-7mm-sata-3-ssd

The Vector trumps the 840 Pro particularly in real world tests so I was interested to see if anyone has experience with the SSD.

Eg

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/vector-ssd-review,3358-7.html

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5119/ocz_vector_512gb_ssd_review/index15.html

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storag...inx-zeroes-competition/IOMeter-v20060727-IOps

P.S. I have heard all the anti OCZ stuff :rolleyes: I am more interested in actual experience with the drive.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I don't have any experience with that particular drive, but personally I'd go for reliability over pure speed.

Yes, the OCZ is faster, but I wouldn't say it "trumps" the 840. You're looking at a 20 second or less difference in a test taking over 30 minutes and less than a quarter of a second difference on a more typical file transfer; that's actually pretty miniscule. You're rarely if ever going to notice that in everyday use.

Going from a typical platter hard drive to an SSD or Fusion is a massive speed increase, it's something like an 80% percent difference in speed. From a crappy low end SSD to the fastest one on the market is only 2-3% more if I remember the numbers correctly.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
I don't have any experience with that particular drive, but personally I'd go for reliability over pure speed.

Yes, the OCZ is faster, but I wouldn't say it "trumps" the 840. You're looking at a 20 second or less difference in a test taking over 30 minutes and less than a quarter of a second difference on a more typical file transfer; that's actually pretty miniscule. You're rarely if ever going to notice that in everyday use.

Going from a typical platter hard drive to an SSD or Fusion is a massive speed increase, it's something like an 80% percent difference in speed. From a crappy low end SSD to the fastest one on the market is only 2-3% more if I remember the numbers correctly.

Yeah I agree with most of what you are saying especially the reliability comment. I also note that while the OCZ also has a good 5yr warranty as well, that is only as good as the company actually being around to provide the warranty. Will OCZ be here in 5 years?

I was just wondering if the Vector produced any noticable advantages given it has had good reviews. Particualry on the controller.

I have used OCZ Agility and Vertex drives in the past, (long before Samsung came on the scene) and have had good results in Macs particularly in the Vertex. They only get iffy when they get really full but even then the speed is respectable. That is the same with most drive though I find.

Before I sign off on OCZ (and don't get the next Vector potentially) I want to make sure it is not 'better' than the 840 Pro.

You make the important point that the speed diffs are minimal.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I hear ya. And while warranties are great and most things will get replaced if they're truly faulty, they're just a pain to deal with.

The only SSD I've installed in a Mac in the Crucial m4 and I've got no complaints about it. I think as long as you go with a decent brand name you should be in good shape.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
I think the replies (i.e. lack of) speak for them selves :)

It doesn't look like the Vector is a hit...

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Thanks for the reviews: Thought it was dumb to buy the older Samsung 830 (i liked the kit because it came with Norton Ghost, cable and tools and was slightly cheaper than the 840pro), but I see it is still very close to the Vector and 840pro. Splitting hairs. In some areas it even beats the new ones.

Fabricman112

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
If you do get the Vector, make sure to upgrade to firmware 2.0 before installing it... learned that the hard way...
The 1.X fw is nothing but trouble (the ssd will lock, or completly die) but on fw 2 its a good fast ssd

slomo86

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Turkey
I was running a OWC 6G then swapped that out to my MB when I upgraded my MM to the OCZ Vertex 4 and I LOVE it! There is a noticeable difference in the performance. As far as the dependability, I have had it for a little more than 6 months and I haven't had one problem with it, now as for the OWC I am on my second one. The first one crashed about 3 weeks after I installed it... thankfully it was under warranty.

Hope this helps... Cheers :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.