OCZ Vertex 2 120 gb with WD Scorpio Blue 1 TB Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fulrad, Mar 8, 2011.

1. fulrad macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I've been following MacRumors forum for awhile and it's a great pleasure. Recently, I bought a OCZ Vertex 2 120 gb and I wanted to put it into a ODD bought on Ebay. I've the MBP 13 7.1 and I know that some incompabilities occurs between the MCP89 chipset and the SSD but with the recent firmware I think that the problems are almost setted. So, I install the ODD in place, install the sdd into it and keep my almost 1 year old 1 TB WD into the HDD bay because it is too high to be into the ODD.

When I start the computer, i'm able to install OSX 10.6 on the sdd and the computer, while installing OSX, seems to work. The problem appears after. When I reboot the computer, the ssd seems to be recognized only 25% of the time. The rest of the time, the computer is searching for a bootable device but he is unable to find one because the sdd is not recognized. If I plug a usb bootable device, when the ssd is not recognized, the boot time of the usb device is multiplied by 10 times and the computer is running in slowing mode. If i try to access the ssd into the finder, the finder will crash or wait there for 1 or 2 minutes. After that, I can access the SSD correctly. If I unplug my 1 TB HDD, the SSD is working like a charm and he is not in conflict with the chipset. If I replace the 1 TB HDD with my old 250 GB, it's also working.

What do you think it could be ?

Thanks Fulrad.

2. h00ligan macrumors 68030

3. fulrad thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, the PRAM and SMC was reseted. What do you mean by "Kudo" ?

Fulrad