OCZ Vertex 3 and MBP 5,5 (13" 2009)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NonEmoChild, May 23, 2012.

1. NonEmoChild macrumors newbie

Has anyone had success with using a OCZ Vertex 3 with a MBP 13" Mid 2009?

Recently my hard drive failed so I purchased a 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 to replace it. I installed the drive and operating system however there were lag issues and sometimes the computer would freeze entirely. Also at times it would be unable to start up and only have a ? folder appear.

I took my laptop to the Genius Bar and they said my Macbook Pro was not designed to take SSD and was having comparability issues with the drive. Sometimes the drive was there, sometimes it wasn't.

However, I thought a drive was a drive in this case, as long as it was right connector. (I am aware that it is SATA III and my laptop only supports SATA II)

What are your guys' thoughts? Is there compatibility issue with SSDs and the 2009 Macbook Pro model?

2. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

Have you checked to make sure that your drive has the latest version of firmware? You might need to connect it to a Windows computer.

3. A7ibaba macrumors regular

A7ibaba

U need firmwire update to latest version 2.22.

4. bozz2006, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012

bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

It's not quite that simple. Their is a conflict between the Nvidia chipset in your computer and the Sandforce controller in your SSD. You can "fix" it by following the directions at THIS LINK

I am still running firmware 2.08 on the drive, since it is working fine. I don't want to change it because messing around with AHCI and IDE on this computer is a humungous headache. I simply applied the "fix" detailed on post #6 in that thread to get my link speed set at SATAII.